PDA

View Full Version : Moving my Cable AMbit 256 Modem

psyfur
22-06-2009, 21:21
Dear CF,

I am currently upgrading my lounge, installing cat 5 and a home server, nas drive and general media greatness.

Now the great thing about my house is that all the floorboards come up and I will be running the cat 5 under them to the cupboard below the stairs where my router and server will be. My modem is on the other side of the room and looks real ugly, so I would like to move this to the cupboard under the stairs too which is about 8 meters away.

My question is, does the modem just use normal coaxal lead? If so I will buy some and take teh lead under the boards and hide the cupboard.

Also is it worth ask VM engineer when they install my tv next week if they have any spare cable?

Thanks,

virgin_tech
23-06-2009, 00:00
yeah sure, most guys will leave you with cable you require and put on the connectors for you. ask for a straight connector (barrel) as well just in case you need that extra bit of cable from your old modem

psyfur
23-06-2009, 16:46
Is it ok to use about 10-15 meters and not loss out on signal quality/speed?

virgin_tech
25-06-2009, 20:47
15 mtrs can be some distance, it all depends on how good ur signal is at the omnibox, most of the time it is ok, but if you move it and have probs just phone virgin and they will send a tech out to sort it all afterwards...

the official distance of cable from the isolator is only 2mtrs,you are supposed to put another iso in for longer distances. it doesn't really matter that much but thats the official take on it anyway