PDA

View Full Version : slow 10mb internet

adamhull
22-06-2009, 19:22
hi just thaught i would ask a question i am on 10meg broadband and it has been serously slow for months i phoned virgin up they said it was maintanance in the area phoned again said it was maintanance phoned again they said it was my modem

so after getting the new modem installing it and phone them to activate it im still experiencing slow internet!!!

Cable Modem Upstream
Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 1
Upstream Frequency : 29200000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QAM16
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 45.0 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

Cable Modem Downstream
Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 3
Downstream Frequency : 339000000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM256
Downstream Symbol Rate : 5360.537 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps32Increment4
Downstream Receive Power Level : 4.1 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 39.3 dB

dont know what any of that means its in the modem config pages

Peter_
22-06-2009, 19:26
Upstream transmit Power Level : 45.0 dBmV

Downstream Receive Power Level : 4.1 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 39.3 dB

Your power levels are spot on and any issues must be elsewhere so another call to Tech Support may be in order.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tech Support is open 24/7 on the numbers below.

For help with your TV or Phone and for Broadband Technical Support:

Call Product Support/Faults on 151 option 2 from your Virgin Media Phone. It's absolutely free.

Or call 0845 454 1111 from any other phone line.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

caph
22-06-2009, 19:30
Adam, find out what ubr you are on (you can do this using the connection link on this page) and post in the Virgin cable support newsgroup asking if it is oversubscribed. It could well be that you are on an oversubscribed ubr.

adamhull
22-06-2009, 19:35
Adam, find out what ubr you are on (you can do this using the connection link on this page) and post in the Virgin cable support newsgroup asking if it is oversubscribed. It could well be that you are on an oversubscribed ubr.

what connection link on what page to find out ubr?

caph
22-06-2009, 22:32
The page is the one you are reading right now. Scroll to the top and look for the word connection. If you click it you'll see a host name similar to cpc2-basf3-0-0-cust.nott.cable.ntl.com. Your UBR is the second set of letters and the area is the bit before the cable.ntl.com so my UBR is BASF3 which is in Nottingham. You probably shouldn't quote your customer number (the numbers after cust) in any online postings either here or in the newsgroup for security reasons.