PDA

View Full Version : Application throttling on 50Mbit service

bigsinky
22-06-2009, 12:39
Would like to gauge responses from 50Meg users as well as some of the VM guys on here. I have heard that VM are throttling certain applications like torrents or newsgroups. Do they actually monitor the applications or do they monitor the ports that the information is supplied to? I do get throttled on my 20meg service and i understand the traffic shaping at peak times. if i have read the small print for the 50meg correctly, being a premuim service, the service is NOT shaped/throttle in anyway at any time during the day.

Just wanted a definitive answer, as some people are saying that their newsgroup downloads are maxed out no probs, others are saying that the number of connects they need to max out their 50 meg connection is less now than with their 20meg service.

I have read other posts on here about cycling the open ports for applications, and was wondering if this can actually be done e.g Newsbin Pro can only use port 119 and port 523 (for SSL sockets). are there other news/torrent applications out there that will cycle random ports.

FAO MODS
Apologies, if you feel this has been covered in other threads then please feel free to move/merge with others.

ro53ben
22-06-2009, 13:07
I genuinely don't believe there is any throttling in place on 50meg at this time. It's easy to believe that when you first upgrade to the service but over time you appreciate that there are many factors involved.

The 50meg setup has many constraints. To get 50meg downstream with "normal" TCP traffic, you need almost the entire 1.5meg upstream to return the packet ACKs. If your upstream is busy, the ACKs can't be returned as well and downstream is affected.

So, for example, if you're uploading an file on FTP and it's using 1meg of your upstream, then it's taking up 2/3rds of that upstream bandwidth. As a result, you can expect to see no more than 1/3rd of the downstream which if you do the maths is less than 20meg. It all depends how you use it.

On an idle line, with no other traffic, I can usually get the full 50meg to external (non-Virgin) sites and I'm more than happy with the throughput I am getting now. As my upload is generally reasonably busy, my downstream suffers as a result. I generally see about 30meg on a heavily seeded torrent whilst concurrently uploading at a reasonably fast speed.

As I see it, if you go 50meg, you'll get a faster upload and a faster download - you just can't fully use both of them concurrently.

Peter_
22-06-2009, 13:09
The is no throttling on 50Mb at present.

diablo
22-06-2009, 18:55
The is no throttling on 50Mb at present.

I bet to differ on that one I`m afraid....had amazing sudden speed drops on 50mb since install 3 months ago.... just cued up a juicy 12 gig hd mkv with newsbin pro on astraweb.....currently 46Mbps / 5.8MBps...bet it dont stay at that for long.....time is 18:54 uk time......

Toto
22-06-2009, 19:00
I bet to differ on that one I`m afraid....had amazing sudden speed drops on 50mb since install 3 months ago.... just cued up a juicy 12 gig hd mkv with newsbin pro on astraweb.....currently 46Mbps / 5.8MBps...bet it dont stay at that for long.....time is 18:54 uk time......

It's a network issue, either your end, news feed end or Virgin end, but its not throttling.

Peter_
22-06-2009, 19:08
It is not throttling regardless what you may think, it is most likely a fault.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
50Mb support line number.

0800 052 0431

Do not call if not 50Mb as you will be asked to hang up as the is no facility to transfer you to Broadband Support.

diablo
22-06-2009, 19:55

0800 052 0431

Do not call if not 50Mb as you will be asked to hang up as the is no facility to transfer you to Broadband Support.

just had to pop out for 15 mins...when I returned as predicted...down to 4.6Mbps........amount downloaded would of been around 5.5gigs worth...

---------- Post added at 19:55 ---------- Previous post was at 19:22 ----------

just paused my download from newsbin...and went to http://gamefiles.virginmedia.com/blueyondergames/halflife2/demo/

getting full speed from there.....tried newsleecher, grabbit and newsbin....all now performing slow......?????.....i give up with this......it always the same

Jazz
22-06-2009, 21:27

0800 052 0431

Thing is I spoke to them and the people I spoke to don't even know what newsgroups are and one tried to tell me that newsgroups can't provide the full 50mb speeds. Weird thing is everything apart from newsgroups I get full speed on so when I do a speed check or download files the speeds come up as fine so they don't really listen to what you are saying.

I'm sure you aren't misleading us here but it does look very strange how newsgroups give very variable results whereas everything else works fine.

Peter_
23-06-2009, 06:32
just had to pop out for 15 mins...when I returned as predicted...down to 4.6Mbps........amount downloaded would of been around 5.5gigs worth...

---------- Post added at 19:55 ---------- Previous post was at 19:22 ----------

just paused my download from newsbin...and went to http://gamefiles.virginmedia.com/blueyondergames/halflife2/demo/

getting full speed from there.....tried newsleecher, grabbit and newsbin....all now performing slow......?????.....i give up with this......it always the same

---------- Post added at 06:32 ---------- Previous post was at 06:31 ----------

Thing is I spoke to them and the people I spoke to don't even know what newsgroups are and one tried to tell me that newsgroups can't provide the full 50mb speeds. Weird thing is everything apart from newsgroups I get full speed on so when I do a speed check or download files the speeds come up as fine so they don't really listen to what you are saying.

I'm sure you aren't misleading us here but it does look very strange how newsgroups give very variable results whereas everything else works fine.
As I said above it will be a fault on the connection because as yet no throttling on your connection if on 50Mb.

pazor
23-06-2009, 09:06
Sorry to go a little of subject here but i signed for the 50mb service because the website says there was no throttling, if they change this will i be able to cancel my contrat? The way i see it i would no longer be getting the service i signed up for regardless of what the T&C say as these are only a addition to my consumer rights.

Ignitionnet
23-06-2009, 10:31
Sorry to go a little of subject here but i signed for the 50mb service because the website says there was no throttling, if they change this will i be able to cancel my contrat? The way i see it i would no longer be getting the service i signed up for regardless of what the T&C say as these are only a addition to my consumer rights.

No you wouldn't, the service is subject to pretty much anything Virgin want to do with it and you accepted that when you signed up. While there were no specifics regarding any kind of throttling mentioned when you signed up you did sign up very aware that a throttle could be added.