PDA

View Full Version : Bees!

AGray
21-06-2009, 17:14
Hi, bit of a backstory. Over the past couple of weeks/1month there has been an excessive amount of bees actually getting into our house. We knew for certain that the bees had built a nest *somewhere* but we didnt know where.

Last week however we found out where, and it was only recently that i relised the implications of the location of this bees nest. The bees nest is at the front of our house, underneath our bay window, there is a vent present which goes slightly underground it seems.

I looked though, and i relised that our phonewires actually went into this vent through the house [Eep!]. We also recently had a Virgin box fitted into our property which isnt too far away from this vent.

Now, the type of bees is important it seems. They're Bumblebees. We got on the phone to some local Beekeepers to explain that there is a nest somewhat under the property, but a lot of the Beekeepers stated that Bumblebees are pretty much an endagered species now, and they WONT [wont] move them, instead, we have to let nature take its course and they will eventually die out in Autumn time [its assume anyway...]

A couple of months ago i was having continual issues with Virgin Media and the service, which would constantly drop. They came out and thankfully, since then i have not had any problems. BUT i am now curious/concerned as to what *may* happen if there is ever a fault on the line between now and 2010.

While the Bumblebees are not aggressive in anyway, and they're actually quite awesome - This poses a significant safety risk to anyone [Especially Virgin technicians] who may inadvertedly disturb their nest. I know if there ever is an issue, i'll bring it up immediately to the person required - But what COULD you do, considering we have been told they [The bees] cannot be moved [Legally anyway].

MovedGoalPosts
21-06-2009, 17:49
VM engineers would quite reasonably say they can't go near since they would be at a risk, which means that VM would be under no obligation to repair. But you can't kill the nest which prevent's VM doing their bit. Stalemate.

You just need to hope that nothing needs doing to it.

An for next year you will need to ensure another nest doesn't return. That may mean blocking up the vent, but make sure that anything hibernating can get out first.

Jon T
21-06-2009, 19:04
But what COULD you do,

Just to point out (in a nice way :)), that this forum isn't Virgin/NTL owned.

Sorry if i've got the wrong idea from your post. ;)

zing_deleted
21-06-2009, 19:09
Buy a bee hive fit it up near the nest and use a lure kit . With a bit of luck they will move in . Then you can move the hive and make your own hunny lol

@ Rob as someone who works in buildings would it not be a good idea to find out if the vent is required to allow airflow to any flu in the adjacent room ;)

Albert Fish
23-06-2009, 17:40
When you say there are an excessive amount of bees in your house, can you clarify what you consider to be an acceptable amount of bees in your house ?

Mr_love_monkey
24-06-2009, 09:54
When you say there are an excessive amount of bees in your house, can you clarify what you consider to be an acceptable amount of bees in your house ?

surely it depends on the type of social event?

Wicked_and_Crazy
24-06-2009, 13:10
Get too many and it would be a hive of activity ;)

Mr_love_monkey
24-06-2009, 13:17
Get too many and it would be a hive of activity ;)

Oh bee-have.

beeman
24-06-2009, 19:19
now this is my kind of thread...

HowardCanning
02-07-2009, 09:29
:rofl: