PDA

View Full Version : Speed Up Your Broadband Connection By 20%?

MK1
21-06-2009, 00:05
Is there any truth in this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe1DW7zNomQ

Milambar
21-06-2009, 00:22
Disabling the QoS? None at all, in fact, disabling QoS can HARM your speed. Its a very popular myth though.

popper
21-06-2009, 00:23
"Is there any truth in this?"

NO.

the guys somewhat confused, what he's mistakenly thinking is, theres always a 20% reduction in your given speed, that is not the case.

infact what that MS setting means in reality, is IF, and only IF theres a need to download an MS update then the OS TCP/ip QOS will make sure for the duration of the download ONLY that the update gets assigned at least 20% of available bandwidth, that is all....

seeing as you appear interested in this increaseing BB speed, in my experience the closest thing to come even close to real increases of 20% would be to realtime compress END to END any and all NON compressed files you might then transfer up and down.

that obviously will exclude all Zip,Rar,lhz,lha, and most other forms of binary data files.

there have in the past existed such services that will perform these realtime compression services at their WAN side Co-Location end, and you would be running their apps/tunnel at your end, but as you dont know about them it should seem clear to you they didnt really take off in a big way ;)

i cant think of any off hand, and i like to keep myself well infomed on most tech type apps and services such as these idea's in my many, many years of building and using hw,community fidonet, and later the web etc communications networks of all types.

Milambar
21-06-2009, 00:25
http://www.tweakxp.com/article37125.aspx <- The QoS myth.

MK1
21-06-2009, 00:33
I didn't try it anyway as i knew to come here first because i'd get the right advice. Thanks.

frogstamper
21-06-2009, 01:20
I've heard that if you rub your modem with duraglit at exactly 23.33 hours you "triple" your BB speed...has anybody ever tried this? as it doesn't seem to be working for me.:)

iFrankie
21-06-2009, 01:23
I've heard that if you rub your modem with duraglit at exactly 23.33 hours you "triple" your BB speed...has anybody ever tried this? as it doesn't seem to be working for me.:)

thanks iv been sat here rubbing my modem with duraglit for over 24 hours now and i haven't seen and speed boost, i should sue you for this.! :D haha

Hatchet
21-06-2009, 04:24
"Is there any truth in this?"

NO.

the guys somewhat confused, what he's mistakenly thinking is, theres always a 20% reduction in your given speed, that is not the case.

infact what that MS setting means in reality, is IF, and only IF theres a need to download an MS update then the OS TCP/ip QOS will make sure for the duration of the download ONLY that the update gets assigned at least 20% of available bandwidth, that is all....

seeing as you appear interested in this increaseing BB speed, in my experience the closest thing to come even close to real increases of 20% would be to realtime compress END to END any and all NON compressed files you might then transfer up and down.

that obviously will exclude all Zip,Rar,lhz,lha, and most other forms of binary data files.

there have in the past existed such services that will perform these realtime compression services at their WAN side Co-Location end, and you would be running their apps/tunnel at your end, but as you dont know about them it should seem clear to you they didnt really take off in a big way ;)

i cant think of any off hand, and i like to keep myself well infomed on most tech type apps and services such as these idea's in my many, many years of building and using hw,community fidonet, and later the web etc communications networks of all types.

How to these tunnels work? There was a program/mod on Unreal Tournament 99 called "uber tunnel". When using it you put a recipients address/ip into it with a password and would improve ping and connection to game servers that the recipient is in. Is this hte same thing? I have no idea how it works but when using it the server seems to think you are coming the recipients country.

Sorry if I was miles off, was just curious of how it works.

popper
21-06-2009, 08:37
its pritty simple, the reality as regards generic TCP/IP is that you dont know from packet to packet what route it will take to an end point IP, one bunch might take a fast ISP route to the end point, another bunch the slower ISP route, they all end up at the end point IP OC, but its mostly out of your control.

its werse today than years ago OC, given ISP's today like their shinny new toys that look good on the investors reports such as, DPI, STM, and QOS for slowing down far more non realtime (in their view) open generic TCP binary data packets etc far more today....

a basic outline is this: the idea behind all tunnels (another popular name for them is VPN ,virtual Private Network) is you have an entry point and an exit or fixed "end point", hence your basic "point to point" unicast networking.

as long as you have that tunneled end point to connect to all the time, and your both talking the same language/protocol then over time the packets will usually find a way to route by the fastest routes over all the router hops to that end point far more often.

the ISP's/webs routers all see the same external "this is a tunnel" data, and so try and route it and its contents better,faster,etc, think of a tunnel as a wrapper or generic pipe.

BUT you can put anything you like inside that tunnel wrapper, be it game data, Multicast protocol data packets that cant usually go over the web as the worlds ISPs filter it off before it get to/from your Broadband CPE modem kit sat on your desk, or popular again IPv6 running inside the generic IPv4 tunnels such as the free tunnel services
http://www.go6.net/4105/freenet.asp
and their old Quake 3 IPv6 Project
http://www.go6.net/4105/description.asp?product_id=170&category_id=276

as you might guess, usually..., if you and your friends on totally different ISPs are all using the same tunnel software and the end point HW is fast enough, then your all connected virtually to the same end point, and should be seeing all your TCP/IP packets getting routed faster through the tunnel ,and so, seeing far better pings etc

you can also think of the go6 tunnel as a virtual ISP, as in effect the likes of freenet6/go6 are exactly that, at least when it comes to their IPv4 to IPv6 tunnels.

not to mention everyone on there are in effect on a massive world wide virtual IPv6 LAN with one or two hops to any go6 connected IPv6 IP, no matter if its on a real fast Co-Location server, or your home PC running your web server over Ipv6 over your VM ISP's crappy upload speeds.

there are other popular free tunnels , the lad uses them for his mates private (emulation) gaming etc dark nets, but for the life of me,i cant remember that name right now, and i was the one that told him about them a long time ago now LOL ;), in effect that to, makes a "virtual LAN" "tunnel" between all the real LANs and the games just see a LAN connection they can use to connect.

all these VPN "tunnels" are the same, ISPs routers even today seem to try and find the fastest routes possible for this traffic and so anything you put inside them see the benefit, you do loose some slight over all data throughput as the tunnels are fixed size and take up a small fixed amount of data packets before you even wrap up your data and push anything down them OC, the wrapping up can be a stand alone app, or more likely built into the tunnel, or as with the go6 stuff is IPv6, the OS TCP v6 network stack knows that its wrapped packets are using v6 IP addresses and knows that tunnel is the only v6 outlet/gateway so sends it through there.

did i over do it as to techy again :) , or did you get at least some of that?

Peter_
21-06-2009, 10:25
Just attach these to your modem and it will look like its going much faster and you will look cool.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/06/31.jpg

iFrankie
21-06-2009, 15:25
Just attach these to your modem and it will look like its going much faster and you will look cool.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/06/31.jpg

Do you tell all your customers to do this? :D:D haha

fluffyduck
21-06-2009, 22:56
Ring virgin media and say:

Can i upgrade to the 50mb broadband.

When they activate it i'm sure your internet will be at least 20% faster!