PDA

View Full Version : 50mb installation

boltonuk007
19-06-2009, 19:16
Hi all

Iam due to get 50mb broadband installed tomorrow (20/06/09) and was after some info on what the engineer will actually do?? apart from change my modem that is.
I ask this because when i upgraded to 20mb and needed a new modem it was sent through the post and i did it all myself, no probs.
Also I have been told that my Netgear router will be brought by the engineer but i have been reading of cases where the router and dongle have been recieved via UPS on the day of installation. or does this vary from region to region. Iam just curious as to the need for sending out an engineer when one wasnt needed for the 20mb installation.
any help or stories would be greatly appreciated.

chuzzlemonkey
20-06-2009, 11:09
Hi.

The technician will carry out what Vm describe as a 'dedicated install'. During this time they will install the 50mb Cable modem and also set up the wireless home network for you. They will also, if you allow it, optimise your PC settings to ensure that you get the best possible performance out of your XXL BB.

The official process is for the technician to bring the router and usb adaptor with him, sometimes, however, the sales/customer services agent who has keyed the order uses the incorrect codes for the order and the wireless equipment gets posted separately - this is rare but does happen. Nothing to worry about if you're comfortable setting wireless up yourself. :tu:

boltonuk007
20-06-2009, 11:14
thanks very much for that, i would like to set up as much of it as i can. i, like a lot of people on here like to "mess" about with stuff like that and be the first to unbox things and set them up (or am i on my own??l).
I have the 1300-1800 slot today, should have opted for the morning slot, im just waiting around now!

chuzzlemonkey
20-06-2009, 11:19
lol i'm the opposite...i'd probably break it if i tried!

But yes if you want to do it yourself the tech will be more than happy, he'll still get paid the same amount and have less work to do ;) lol

If your tech hasn't arrived by around 5.30 call 08000731132 Option 3. They'll find out where he is for you and let you know how long he's going to be. Just FYI don't bother taking any of the other options as none of them are customer facing :)

boltonuk007
20-06-2009, 11:23
thanks for the info

boltonuk007
20-06-2009, 21:40
just to let u know that it got installed no probs took about 45mins after a cock up at the other end, engineer was very friendly and knowledgable. im now getting speed ratings of 48-50mb/s, not sure about the USB dongle, might buy a notebook adapter, dont like having it sticking out of the side.

boltonuk007
21-06-2009, 09:25
heres a tip for everyone, dont use the software provided with your usb wireless dongle, i had nothing but issues, slow connection, no connection etc. i uninstalled the software and used my existing hardwired connection to use windows update to install drivers that way, its perfect now. ive also found this with all other netgear products, it seems that letting vista/xp take over the wireless management is a whole lot better.