PDA

View Full Version : Broadband Quality Trial

Cobbydaler
19-06-2009, 14:14
VM are doing a broadband quality trial in conjunction with SamKnows (http://www.samknows.com/broadband/).

You can register your interest in joining it here (http://www.virginmedia.com/myvirginmedia/broadband-quality-trial.php)...

LaineY
19-06-2009, 14:37
I have registered for it...

always get my full speed anyway but may aswell give this a bash lol

plus, i want to see the wee bit of kit lol

broadbandking
19-06-2009, 14:46
Its a little silver box with lights on it.

GazCBG
19-06-2009, 15:16
Does it just plug into a spare ethernet port on the router.
Or does it connect on the cable that comes from the modem to the router?

Cobbydaler
19-06-2009, 15:17
Into a spare ethernet port

GazCBG
19-06-2009, 15:22
Does anyone know if I signup to it, and it slow my connection down, is there any get out or am I stuck with it for the 12 months?
I know it say it shouldn't but we are talking about VM here.

Just reading the Terms and I see

6. Term and Termination: your participation in the Trial will commence once you have completed the set-up described above and it will continue until we notify you otherwise. If you wish to cease participation in the Trial please e-mail us at the e-mail address in your set-up instructions and disconnect your Trial Equipment. At the point you disconnect your Trial Equipment you will no longer be eligible for any forthcoming prize draws, and we will instruct our agents to contact you to arrange the return of the Trial Equipment.

So it looks like you can withdraw from it

BenMcr
19-06-2009, 15:36
I know it say it shouldn't but we are talking about VM here.
Actually we are talking about Sam Knows - the people who are doing the UK Broadband Quality report for OFCOM. The equipment is theirs.

broadbandking
19-06-2009, 15:51
It just sits there not slowing down your connection it just collects stats and does speed test.

GazCBG
19-06-2009, 16:04
Actually we are talking about Sam Knows - the people who are doing the UK Broadband Quality report for OFCOM. The equipment is theirs.

So it got nothing to do with VM other then my connection?

broadbandking
19-06-2009, 16:26
Yes VM are using Samknows equipment to test your connection, so the only thing to do with VM si your connection as Ben said samknows own and designed the equipment.

webrosc
19-06-2009, 16:34
Does this kit need mains power or will it be powerered via the router connection?

Cobbydaler
19-06-2009, 16:55
If it's anything like the other trial they did last year it will need power, as that was based on a modded Linksys router...

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/pm/faq.html#faq-10

broadbandking
19-06-2009, 17:44
You need a mains connector and spare ethernet port in your router.

BenMcr
19-06-2009, 17:48
So it got nothing to do with VM other then my connection?
VM have asked SamKnows to independently test their network for them.

SamKnows have previously been asked by OFCOM to do the same for multiple ISPs

Virgin have no control over the SamKnows kit and cannot infulence the outcome.

The only thing Virgin are doing is running the broadband as normal and signing people up to the testing

zing_deleted
19-06-2009, 18:03
Id do it if they payed me £200 for doing it. Why anyone would willingly want to plug a third party peice of hardware into their network for free is beyond me

broadbandking
19-06-2009, 18:39
It not going to effect your connection tho, what would the £200 do for you if it did effect your connection, if it did you could get yourself off the trial.

Virgin Media need people to trial things so they can improve things, if they didn't nothing would get tested or trialed.

bluecandylover
19-06-2009, 19:52
I've signed up for it. Although my connection runs lovely.

KingDaveRa
19-06-2009, 22:49
I signed up earlier. Intrigued to see how it works, what it does. IIRC from previous trials they used a modified netgear router. I wouldn't mind betting it's the same router, just with a subtly different firmware/configuration. And hey, if there's prizes going begging, I'm all for it!

punky
19-06-2009, 22:59
It not going to effect your connection tho, what would the £200 do for you if it did effect your connection, if it did you could get yourself off the trial.

Virgin Media need people to trial things so they can improve things, if they didn't nothing would get tested or trialed.

They could give me a free upgrade though. Why should I go through all the agro for nothing or a "prize draw"? Its using my electricity after all.

Do you have to manually initiate it to do a speed test and send it back to VM? If its automatic/random then surely the results would be meaningless as it won't have any idea if you're downloading or not.

zing_deleted
19-06-2009, 23:01

Why should I do anything for nothing? VM limit my connection which I pay for if I use it what do I owe VM? Its upto the individual but I aint doing it for nothing

sollp
19-06-2009, 23:16
Why should I do anything for nothing? VM limit my connection which I pay for if I use it what do I owe VM? Its upto the individual but I aint doing it for nothing

Then we can all kepp moaning how rubbish the connection is ect and nothing is ever done to improve it:rolleyes:

Sambora
19-06-2009, 23:32
Peter M at Chetnet seems to know what this is about, see http://www.chetnet.co.uk/portal/forum/showthread.php?t=9076 and how it works

Interesting point "If you want to raise pointless whinges and criticisms just for the sake of it don't apply - no one is forcing you to participate "

punky
19-06-2009, 23:52
Interesting point "If you want to raise pointless whinges and criticisms just for the sake of it don't apply - no one is forcing you to participate "

If only the same could be said about STM

Sambora
20-06-2009, 00:00
If only the same could be said about STM
"Pointless whinge"; did you consider changing your broadband supplier? I assume no one at VM is forcing you to stay with VirginMedia and STM?

punky
20-06-2009, 00:10
"Pointless whinge"; did you consider changing your broadband supplier? I assume no one at VM is forcing you to stay with VirginMedia and STM?

The people up north in the STM trial areas didn't get much choice.

P.S. What a pointless whinge is to you, isn't to everyone else. OK?

Sambora
20-06-2009, 00:22
The people up north in the STM trial areas didn't get much choice. I assume "up north" includes the "North West" where I live?

As I asked "did you consider changing your broadband supplier?" you seem to prefer whinging to actually getting off your a$$ and doing somthing! In my book that attitude rates a zero. Or is it only you that is is entitled to an opinion, "OK?"

punky
20-06-2009, 01:01
I assume "up north" includes the "North West" where I live?

Perceptive of you. Where VM normally trial their STM, in Preston etc. Did they volunteer for STM? Where they even told without having to check the VM website daily for updates?

As I asked "did you consider changing your broadband supplier?" you seem to prefer whinging to actually getting off your a$$ and doing somthing! In my book that attitude rates a zero. Or is it only you that is is entitled to an opinion, "OK?"

I was never in a STM trial area, so the point is irrelevent.

I really don't give a toss that you rate my attitude at "zero", but I personally think you can do with removing that sizeable chip from your shoulder. This thread is about VM trials and you seemed to want to make it a personal attack on me.

BenMcr
20-06-2009, 01:11
This thread is about VM trials
No it's not - it is about a Sam Knows broadband quality test being run at the request of VM.

The results of which I would have thought everyone on here would be interested in seeing

drdaws
22-06-2009, 18:21
Reading the info about this it seem that participants will be able to view data thats collected & transmitted back to Virgin. Does this mean that my total download amounts will be seen? At present I use Net Meter, this will only record the download on the PC that it's running on. As I have a desktop, laptop & 4 internet radios will I be able to check the total download? I can't do that at present.

JediMaster
23-06-2009, 12:36
How do I contact Virgin about this? I registered yesterday & now wish to be REMOVED from the List.

Only now do I realise the We’ll send you a small piece of hardware which conducts the tests. All you need to do is plug it into your router’s spare socket, then forget all about it. There’s no software to download, no need to change how your computer’s set up, no need to run any of the tests yourself – it looks after everything automatically. is NOT all that easy.

You need a Power Plug (that I dont have free near my PC/Router) then they say on that other link I have to disconnect all my router & wire the NEW Box direct & then all my stuff via the new box.

Not just as it was first described on the site.

So I with to REMOVE myself from the Trial.

joglynne
23-06-2009, 12:44
As far as I am aware you just registered your interest in taking part. Even if you were to be chosen to be on the trial I don't think anyone can force you to install the hardware. :shrug:

Milambar
23-06-2009, 12:51
Just thought I'd point something out, and play devils advocate...

Who can join in?

Anyone who has fibre optic broadband from Virgin Media can take part.

I don't believe anyone actually has "fiber optic broadband", its certainly not a fiber coming into my house... So, perhaps its worded like that to allow them to negate the results if it doesn't go in their favour?

:doh:

One other thing, the application form.. It asks for your customer account number, yet its not protected by ssl. Its a standard http://. Not very secure is it?

Double :doh:

In any case, I've registered.

Ignitionnet
23-06-2009, 16:26
This thing won't be knowing how much bandwidth you've used, it's just a small device that runs a few tests on your connection when it's not being used heavily.

Peter_
23-06-2009, 16:29
One other thing, the application form.. It asks for your customer account number, yet its not protected by ssl. Its a standard http://. Not very secure is it?

Double :doh:

In any case, I've registered.
It is an internal site and within the Virgin network hence no www at the beginning.

Adi
26-06-2009, 20:49
did anybody recieve any notice of acceptance for this trial?

Cobbydaler
26-06-2009, 20:50
Not yet...

AndyCambs
26-06-2009, 21:33
did anybody recieve any notice of acceptance for this trial?

We're all waiting with bated breath!

g0mit
30-06-2009, 15:52
I applied about a week ago heard nothing

broadbandking
30-06-2009, 18:39
They will start the trial soon they need to make sure the hardware is fully approved.

Stuart
30-06-2009, 19:58
It is an internal site and within the Virgin network hence no www at the beginning.

You sure? I was able to open the form (although I didn't fill it in and submit it) and I am not connected to virgin's network.

Just had a look at the <form> tags and it appears to be submitting to the same server. I wouldn't recommend filling out the form.

Milambar
30-06-2009, 20:52
As a sysadmin, part of my job is setting up nameservers and apache vhosts. Sorry Moldova, the presence or absence of a www means nothing, and the absence of it it certainly does not mean its an "internal network".

In fact, one of the servers I configured last week, is configured to respond to both the http://www.<domainname>, AND http://<domainname>. Does that mean its an "Internal Network"? No, it doesn't.

The form submits to a virginmedia server "http://allyours.virginmedia.com/cgi-bin/formactions/mail.pl" to be exact. Its calling a mail script written in perl. However, this does not mean that its an "internal network" or "internal site".

On balence of probabilities, it probably is an internal site, and that my traffic does not get routed outside of the VM network. However, I feel it is misleading to state that the absence of a www means its an "internal site", as others without an indepth knowlege of the domain name system, vhosts etc, would probably believe exactly that, and think that any domain without a www is an "internal site".

Sambora
03-07-2009, 22:21
got the kit today - piece of cake to fit, took 1 minutes tops.

Also you get the chance of winning a £100 voucher just for applying, see the Ts and Cs all applicants for participation in the Trial by the closing date will be entered into a prize draw to win one of 20 £100 gift vouchers

Application is linked from http://www.virginmedia.com/myvirginmedia/broadband-quality-trial.php

AndyCambs
04-07-2009, 05:36

Also you get the chance of winning a £100 voucher just for applying, see the Ts and Cs

Application is linked from http://www.virginmedia.com/myvirginmedia/broadband-quality-trial.php

Did it just turn up, or did you get an email from them prior?

Sirius
04-07-2009, 08:41

Also you get the chance of winning a £100 voucher just for applying, see the Ts and Cs

Application is linked from http://www.virginmedia.com/myvirginmedia/broadband-quality-trial.phpExcellent in that case i should get my kit soon as well.

PowerUser
04-07-2009, 10:30
I've signed up for it. Although my connection runs lovely.

You will most likely get chosen then!. I've chosen to do it becuase then they can see just how realistictly unstable there network is.

If they really want to see the majority of problems they are having they will be gutsy enough to choose mine.

alferret
10-07-2009, 16:13
Received acceptance email today. Just need to reply and wait for kit.

In the T&C of the trial there is a no disclosure clause.

(c) you acknowledge that the Trial is confidential and you agree that you will not make any public announcement, press release, communication or statement concerning the Trial and/or these terms and conditions without our express prior written consent. You further acknowledge and agree that you will treat as confidential all and any information which we may disclose to you during the Trial in relation to the Trial and/or your broadband internet service and that you will not disclose any such information in whole or in part to any third part.

Pretty standard I assume.

AndyCambs
10-07-2009, 16:26
Received acceptance email today. Just need to reply and wait for kit.

In the T&C of the trial there is a no disclosure clause.

Pretty standard I assume.
Does that mean you shouldn't tell people you are on the trial?? :)

maccaria
10-07-2009, 18:43
recieved my acceptance email and replied.

how long does it take from accepting before you recieve the gear?

blenky
10-07-2009, 19:08
Got my acceptance and replied. Hopefully it will highlight the very eratic 50 Mbit service.

There is a link to part of Samknows website within the acceptance email. You need to login in using the email account you registered with. However it does not recognise mine!

Peter_
10-07-2009, 19:20
Received my acceptance and replied so just awaiting the equipment.

dd11
10-07-2009, 19:33
Would this in anyway be able to monitor or know what websites i've visited?

---------- Post added at 19:33 ---------- Previous post was at 19:29 ----------

was it a modified Linksys WRT54G in the end?

Sirius
10-07-2009, 19:42
Received my acceptance and replied so just awaiting the equipment.

Snap :)

Peter_
10-07-2009, 19:44
Snap :)
And for my email to be recognised by their system so I can log in.:D

indie1982
10-07-2009, 22:27
Would this in anyway be able to monitor or know what websites i've visited?

From the VM website:

Will this trial monitor how I use the internet?

No. We won’t be monitoring how you use the internet.

Our trial is all about the speed and performance of fibre optic broadband from Virgin Media. We’ll give you some easy to install bits of kit which will help us test the performance. This kit automatically sends the results back to our independent experts, so you don’t need to do a thing.

deathtrap3000
11-07-2009, 01:11
My connection had been down for over 3 days these past few weeks and now, just before I go on the trial, my connection is rock solid at 20meg. There are some perks to this after all. ;)

Ignitionnet
11-07-2009, 14:21
Something I am struggling a bit with. Given that VM have BADGER etc why do they need someone else to tell them how their network is running?

Virgin have no control over the SamKnows kit and cannot infulence the outcome.

The only thing Virgin are doing is running the broadband as normal and signing people up to the testing

If VM are handling sign ups one would suggest they most certainly can influence the outcome. Avoiding connections in known problem areas is far from impossible. If you think for a second that VM don't pay special attention to the CMTS cards that Epitiro monitoring stations for example live on I can assure you you're being naive. These are treated as an extra high priority.

Then there's the issue of VM staff being on the trial. This shouldn't be happening. If things go wrong staff can pull string, perhaps monitor their own connections, etc, and their experiences of the service will not be representational of a normal punter. This is nothing to do with VM per se, no ISP should have its' staff anywhere near the Samknows performance monitoring network.

VM have comprehensive statistics on every single interface on their network. If they are handling signups it's too prone to abuse for my liking. I totally understand why a DSL ISP would want this - they do not control their products end to end there is the involvement of BT and/or other 3rd parties for backhaul and the access network, but as far as VM go I sense a publicity stunt in the making.

We'll see when the results are announced but looking at the people accepted that I know about I have seen a few staff, a couple of VM's fanboys, and a few Joe Average punters. I would hope that the actual breakdown is somewhat more of a cross-section.

Perhaps I'm just getting cyncial in my old age having watched VM's PR offensive get more and more intense and ever more flexible with the truth but I honestly see this as nothing more than a PR exercise and I hope that we can see stats from Samknows including and excluding the VM signed up peeps, no offense to any of you of course but I would appreciate it to eliminate exactly these games from VM. Anyone working for them at any level wouldn't put it past them for a second to play games with this trial.

Disclaimer: I'm grumpy at my poor excuse for an internet service being down yet again (http://onewayinternet.blogspot.com/2009/07/my-50mbit-timeline.html).

Peter_
11-07-2009, 16:33
Then there's the issue of VM staff being on the trial. This shouldn't be happening. If things go wrong staff can pull string, perhaps monitor their own connections, etc, and their experiences of the service will not be representational of a normal punter. This is nothing to do with VM per se, no ISP should have its' staff anywhere near the Samknows performance monitoring network.
I am staff and I have signed up because I am also a customer and I will just let the test run as per anyone else.

We'll see when the results are announced but looking at the people accepted that I know about I have seen a few staff, a couple of VM's fanboys, and a few Joe Average punters. I would hope that the actual breakdown is somewhat more of a cross-section.

It should be a cross section of all customers regardless of their status.

blenky
11-07-2009, 21:06
Maybe it’s just coincidence but my 50 mbit connection speed quality has picked up significantly over the last week. D/l from newsgroups is consistently maxing out and holding that level for hours.

This improvement comes right at the time I’ve been accepted onto an independent speed monitoring trial! Mmm.

Is it just me or has anyone else on the trial noticed any recent improvement in their service?

Take this with a pinch of salt maybe I'm just a conspiracy nut ;)

Ignitionnet
11-07-2009, 22:50
I am staff and I have signed up because I am also a customer and I will just let the test run as per anyone else.

It should be a cross section of all customers regardless of their status.

People have every right to question broadband quality trials when they involve staff though. Regardless of what you actually will do and I have no doubt that you aren't going to do anything untoward the appearance is bad.

---------- Post added at 22:50 ---------- Previous post was at 22:50 ----------

Maybe it’s just coincidence but my 50 mbit connection speed quality has picked up significantly over the last week. D/l from newsgroups is consistently maxing out and holding that level for hours.

This improvement comes right at the time I’ve been accepted onto an independent speed monitoring trial! Mmm.

Is it just me or has anyone else on the trial noticed any recent improvement in their service?

Take this with a pinch of salt maybe I'm just a conspiracy nut ;)

Heh look a couple of posts up from yourself.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34831472-post55.html

This has potential to turn into a Phorm quality conspiracy.

zing_deleted
11-07-2009, 22:53
its propaganda and when the results prove on the whole VM's networks is sound we will all know its bull plop propaganda ;)

Peter_
11-07-2009, 23:02
People have every right to question broadband quality trials when they involve staff though. Regardless of what you actually will do and I have no doubt that you aren't going to do anything untoward the appearance is bad.

Hey maybe my road will benefit from improved performance as I am on the trial:D:D

broadbandking
12-07-2009, 00:07
Strange my internet has been going for a few days and I am on the trial, I should email them and say don't put me on the trial as people might see a true reflection on VM's BB lol

Ignitionnet
12-07-2009, 00:15
Any staff here who aren't on this trial? :p:

---------- Post added at 00:15 ---------- Previous post was at 00:15 ----------

Strange my internet has been going for a few days and I am on the trial, I should email them and say don't put me on the trial as people might see a true reflection on VM's BB lol

Going where? Try again please! :)

moaningmags
12-07-2009, 00:19
Any staff here who aren't on this trial? :p:[COLOR="Silver"]

I signed up for it guess they don't want me :(

monkey2468
12-07-2009, 00:44
/snip

me!

broadbandking
12-07-2009, 08:25

---------- Post added at 00:15 ---------- Previous post was at 00:15 ----------

Going where? Try again please! :)

Well I meant its **** the SNR levels are low sometimes its fine sometimes it isnt

Ed2020
12-07-2009, 09:22
I signed up for it guess they don't want me :(

Yep, same here. I've received no confirmation email and I signed up very promptly. :(

Ed.

Radeon
12-07-2009, 23:42
Yep, same here. I've received no confirmation email and I signed up very promptly. :(

Ed.

Same here also, even signed up again last week again just incase but still nothing and I'm on the 50mb service, I feel left out :(

homealone
12-07-2009, 23:55
they are being choosy - deal with it ;)

blenky
13-07-2009, 00:23
For those on 50 Mbit and on the trial I've put up a poll to gauge your BB experience over the last week or so.

Interested to see if those with issues suddenly found those issues go away!

BenMcr
13-07-2009, 01:00
Er - part of the terms of the trial is you can't discuss being on the trial!

See post 46 (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34831105-post46.html)

Zhadnost
13-07-2009, 11:42
The first rule of fight club ...

blenky
13-07-2009, 13:39
Er - part of the terms of the trial is you can't discuss being on the trial!

See post 46 (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34831105-post46.html)
Not sure if this was related to me but I'm not breaking the rules which say

"not make any public announcement, press release, communication or statement concerning the Trial"

and

"agree that you will treat as confidential all and any information which we may disclose to you during the Trial in relation to the Trial and/or your broadband internet service and that you will not disclose any such information in whole or in part to any third part."

Nothing there about asking people who are on the trail (with 50Mbit), by way of a poll, if their service has improved or not over the last week! I am asking about conditions that existed before the start of the trial.

BenMcr
13-07-2009, 13:54
Yes but by anyone answering the poll, they identify they are on the trial - which you are not allowed to do ;)

Druchii
13-07-2009, 14:09
Yes but by anyone answering the poll, they identify they are on the trial - which you are not allowed to do ;)
It's not a public poll, and they are using online names, which we cannot traceback to them (easily).
Only the mods/admins could do so.

Summed up: Very unlikely anyone will know who they are.

blenky
13-07-2009, 15:52
The T&Cs do not say that you can't admit to being on the trial. They say that you should not discuss any aspect of the trail itself.

Which I haven't won't.

BenMcr
13-07-2009, 16:15
They say 'the trial is confidential' and that you cannnot make any communication concerning the trial - which I would say covers saying you are ON the trial!

broadbandking
13-07-2009, 16:37
Does it really matter tho Ben?

blenky
13-07-2009, 17:39
They say 'the trial is confidential' and that you cannnot make any communication concerning the trial - which I would say covers saying you are ON the trial!
As I said I will not discuss aspects of the trial but just saying I've been accepted is not breaking the T&Cs

Peter_
13-07-2009, 18:51
I do not think they will be able to find out the identities of everyone that has posted on all the forums saying that they have been accepted for the trial, very very unlikely.

blenky
13-07-2009, 21:18
As I said I will not discuss aspects of the trial but just saying I've been accepted is not breaking the T&Cs

I'd better shut up then or I'll be kicked off the trial and my super improved connection will go back to its normal erratic self ;):D

Sonna
20-07-2009, 16:52
Just signed up to this myself. Can't do any harm...

deathtrap3000
21-07-2009, 16:47
Got another email today saying that the stuff would be here in a few days.

blenky
21-07-2009, 19:39
Got another email today saying that the stuff would be here in a few days.

As I can't talk about the trial (not even admitting I'm on it) so not going to say anything about receiving the equipment today and installing it 5 mins ago ;)

Also those of you that use more than 2 ethernet ports are in for a shock.

broadbandking
21-07-2009, 23:10
So Blenky you have the kit and you have installed it, good to know people are starting to recieve the equipment.

blenky
21-07-2009, 23:32
So Blenky you have the kit and you have installed it, good to know people are starting to recieve the equipment.

I cannot confirm or deny that ;). However if I could I would say that installation was easy but the equipment only has two ethernet ports. I was using three on my router but luckily the third wasn't important.

Ignitionnet
21-07-2009, 23:38
Oh so it is placed inline (to measure connection and ensure that it's not being used when it wants to run its' testing scripts) like the old Linksys Samknows perf network kit was..

I'm still amused at the amount of people who post to say 'Yay I'm on this trial'. Err, guys, you get this box, attach it to your kit and it sits there. It's hardly exciting. If you were trialling 200Mbit down or 10Mbit up that is interesting, attaching a box that runs periodic tests on your connection then phones home at Samknows HQ with the results isn't really overly fap-worthy ;)

deathtrap3000
22-07-2009, 12:40
Also those of you that use more than 2 ethernet ports are in for a shock.
Oh I get it. The shock was that it has four. Good one.:erm:

alferret
22-07-2009, 17:32
Kits in
Linksys WRT54GL which is piggybacked onto my linksys BEFSR41 V3 which I have had for 4 yrs.

Able to log on to the virgin\samknows site and it gives various information such as blah blah blah, de blah blah and then it goes on to blah de blah blah de blah.

Anyways I have disconnected the aerials for the wireless as I already have a belking wireless

**EDIT**

Im having problems with a script running on the site and adobe flash player 10 my browser grinds to a halt.

blenky
22-07-2009, 17:56
Kits in
Linksys WRT54GL which is piggybacked onto my linksys BEFSR41 V3 which I have had for 4 yrs.

Able to log on to the virgin\samknows site and it gives various information such as blah blah blah, de blah blah and then it goes on to blah de blah blah de blah.

Anyways I have disconnected the aerials for the wireless as I already have a belking wireless

**EDIT**

Im having problems with a script running on the site and adobe flash player 10 my browser grinds to a halt.

No problems here, lots of interesting stats on Samknows!

Ignitionnet
22-07-2009, 17:58
Ahh I see there's a different bit of kit for those on 50Mbit, not surprising given that the WRT54GL isn't suitable for 50Mbps.

alferret
22-07-2009, 18:06
Anybody know the address for the unit as want to log on and make sure the wireless connection is secure rather than leaving it open even though I have taken the aerials off.

Ignitionnet
22-07-2009, 18:07
Anybody know the address for the unit as want to log on and make sure the wireless connection is secure rather than leaving it open even though I have taken the aerials off.

I don't think it has wireless enabled on it but is running a custom Linux distro.

BenMcr
22-07-2009, 18:11
I doubt you will be able to log into it anyway

BTW amazing how well the confidentiality clause is working

alferret
22-07-2009, 18:16

LOL I spose specifics arnt being discussed just general chat that would be ok.

So the wireless part has been disabled then I take it?

Surprised they didnt just use a non-wireless router then like my other linksys.

Ignitionnet
22-07-2009, 18:45
I doubt you will be able to log into it anyway

Indeed so much to discuss. 'I plugged this grey / black box in and lights flashed...' ;)

blenky
22-07-2009, 19:24
Whats with the aerial anyway? Instructions say to connect it which I did.

deathtrap3000
22-07-2009, 20:33
Anyone know if you can access the router directly?

sniper007
23-07-2009, 13:27
Pay more electricity per month to have a 3rd party device on my home network with no benefit to myself? Sure thing...where do I sign?

lowei
23-07-2009, 13:39
Anyone know if you can access the router directly?

Login via TFTP gets a username/password prompt though I have no idea what they are

joglynne
23-07-2009, 16:16
I don't think there is any thing new in this but a new press release has been made by VM to-day regarding the trial. Virgin Media measures next-generation broadband performance with SamKnows

Customers to help shape the future of the UK’s next-generation broadband

http://pressoffice.virginmedia.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=205406&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1310473&highlight=

*sloman*
23-07-2009, 18:06
signed up

deathtrap3000
23-07-2009, 20:34
Anyone know how to use the wifi on the new kit.
My laptop is still connected to the wifi on my existing router and its throwing off the results.

Ignitionnet
23-07-2009, 21:09
Anyone know how to use the wifi on the new kit.
My laptop is still connected to the wifi on my existing router and its throwing off the results.

You're supposed to be using the wifi of your existing router, the new one is not a router it's just bridging. It should do its' thing and be invisible on your network.

Have you read any destructions, emails, etc, that welcomed you to the trial?

Also so long as the new it is between your modem and your own router, as it should be, it's not affecting anything.

deathtrap3000
23-07-2009, 21:24
You're supposed to be using the wifi of your existing router, the new one is not a router it's just bridging. It should do its' thing and be invisible on your network.

Have you read any destructions, emails, etc, that welcomed you to the trial?

Also so long as the new it is between your modem and your own router, as it should be, it's not affecting anything.
Yes I know what the new kit is and what its doing. I just dont see how its detecting traffic on my routers wifi. I was downloading something last night and it ran some tests during my downloading obviously causing horrible results. Only thing I can think of is that because there was no traffic running through it so it thought it would be a good time to run the tests.

And why would it ask you to attach the antennae if its not going to use them.

Mullington
23-07-2009, 21:29
and the prizes are? :dunce:

Ignitionnet
23-07-2009, 22:15
Yes I know what the new kit is and what its doing. I just dont see how its detecting traffic on my routers wifi. I was downloading something last night and it ran some tests during my downloading obviously causing horrible results. Only thing I can think of is that because there was no traffic running through it so it thought it would be a good time to run the tests.

And why would it ask you to attach the antennae if its not going to use them.

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/images/Linksys-Installation.pdf

Wireless connectivity is unchanged.

Q. What is the purpose of the wireless antennas?
A. Completing step 3 in the installation instructions allowed the unit to see if your
wired network was busy so that it could alter its testing schedule accordingly.
However, no such steps are required for wireless. The unit will automatically
passively monitor your wireless network for activity and will reschedule its
testing if you’re using the wireless network. If you do not have a wireless
network then this feature will be redundant.

Q. Do I need to modify my wireless settings?
A. Absolutely not. The unit does not provide wireless access.

---------- Post added at 22:15 ---------- Previous post was at 22:09 ----------

That made absolutely no sense at all and was wrong into the bargain. Go me. If only I could neg rep myself for that one...

deathtrap3000
23-07-2009, 22:25
Q. What is the purpose of the wireless antennas?
A. Completing step 3 in the installation instructions allowed the unit to see if your
wired network was busy so that it could alter its testing schedule accordingly.
However, no such steps are required for wireless. The unit will automatically
passively monitor your wireless network for activity and will reschedule its
testing if you’re using the wireless network. If you do not have a wireless
network then this feature will be redundant.

That explains the antenna bit. Wasnt in any of the documentation I received. I still cant explain why it ran a test while I was downloading though.

indie1982
23-07-2009, 22:28
Login via TFTP gets a username/password prompt though I have no idea what they are

I believe the Linksys device only has port 22 open.

Anyone want to bruteforce a box? :angel:

@broadbandings Any idea how it can passively monitor a wireless network connection it doesn't know you're connected to? How would the device know which wireless network someone is using when it's not been told an SSID or any auth details?

Peter_
23-07-2009, 22:39

@broadbandings Any idea how it can passively monitor a wireless network connection it doesn't know you're connected to? How would the device know which wireless network someone is using when it's not been told an SSID or any auth details?
It will be able to detect the signals from your own router and will then run tests when the throughput drops.

---------- Post added at 22:39 ---------- Previous post was at 22:35 ----------

It does not transmit a signal, try looking for it the is no signal to detect but it requires the antenna to passively detect the throughput of your own router so it can run tests without interfering with your connection so replace them.

Zhadnost
23-07-2009, 23:47
IIRC WRT54GL's have JTAG support onboard, although on some versions, you need to solder some pins in.

That would give you some pretty messages on startup.

I'm obviously not advocating trying to hack it.

Ignitionnet
24-07-2009, 10:04

If the wireless card is in promiscuous mode it's just a case of looking at what the highest power wireless network is. Given that this box would likely be next door to your existing wireless router it's a fair bet that the highest strength signal is the one it should be watching. From there it just monitors any stations associated to that BSSID.

indie1982
24-07-2009, 16:35
In that case maybe deathtrap3000 is using an 802.11n network at 5Ghz? Unlikely he is but could that stop the Linksys box seeing the network as it only works on 2.4Ghz?

KrisRobocop
25-07-2009, 14:20

I would love to. The whole reason i signed up for the trial was to mess around with some new equipment. i don't' suppose anyone knows the username/password?

Kris

blenky
25-07-2009, 17:31
I would love to. The whole reason i signed up for the trial was to mess around with some new equipment. i don't' suppose anyone knows the username/password?

Kris

You need to get out more ;):p:

KrisRobocop
25-07-2009, 17:45
You need to get out more ;):p:

I can't disagree with that. :D

Babu
25-07-2009, 20:42
Why are people that have chosen to take part in the broadband quality trial trying to mess with the hardware? Why bother to sign up?

KrisRobocop
25-07-2009, 20:57
Why are people that have chosen to take part in the broadband quality trial trying to mess with the hardware? Why bother to sign up?

I'm not looking to interfere, just wanna have a look about the system. See what processes are running, etc...

Babu
25-07-2009, 21:01
But why?
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/07/6.jpg

Cobbydaler
25-07-2009, 21:06
But why?
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/07/6.jpg

...have you pinched broadbandings avatar? :erm:

Babu
25-07-2009, 21:10
No, this is the phrase that Mr. Broadbandings on Fonejacker uses.

tucker61
26-07-2009, 08:03
I signed up but have not heard from them yet, they must not want me

Welshchris
27-07-2009, 08:56
is there any news on this i had an email from them saying the following on the 16th

A Message regarding the Virgin Media Broadband Trial

Hello there,

Remember you volunteered to take part in the Virgin Media Broadband Trial? We’d like to take this opportunity to say hello again, and give you an update.

Things are moving along quickly, and we are busy processing all the applications

You will hear from us again once we have finished this work and we’ll tell you what happens next.

Once again, thanks for volunteering!

The Virgin Media Broadband Team

joglynne
27-07-2009, 11:49
I never had an acknowledgment of my having volunteered. I would have liked to known for certain that my corner of the Baguley server was represented in the trial.

broadbandking
27-07-2009, 11:50
All areas should be part of the trial.

joglynne
27-07-2009, 12:00
Well if VM play fair my area will be represented but being some what cynical, and not having seen anywhere that VM aren't the ones choosing who to use, I suspect that VM will not have missed the opportunity to load the results in their favour.

Welshchris
29-07-2009, 10:37
how do u say they will load the results in their favour? In the results that will be shown surely it will show what areas were tested etc etc and if some are missing then people will start asking questions to why.

joglynne
29-07-2009, 10:57
how do u say they will load the results in their favour? In the results that will be shown surely it will show what areas were tested etc etc and if some are missing then people will start asking questions to why.

If full details so to how the testers have been chosen are given, and I can be reassured that there has been an attempt to cover all areas and all BB levels then, when the results are published, I may be willing to accept the findings.

However, for any tests to be a fair representation of any firms product I would not expect that firm to be the one choosing the test subjects the trial will be based on.

Welshchris
29-07-2009, 11:49
thast the whole point to this to cover all areas so i would think that if areas were missing then questions would be asked.

joglynne
29-07-2009, 12:18
thast the whole point to this to cover all areas so i would think that if areas were missing then questions would be asked.

It's not a question of them just covering an area it's also a question of whether they cherry pick connections within a large Hub? such as Baguley to ensure that they get the best results.

LOL I wish I could explain what I mean in a clearer way but this where I really show up my lack of technical jargon/knowledge.

Druchii
29-07-2009, 13:10
It's not a question of them just covering an area it's also a question of whether they cherry pick connections within a large Hub? such as Baguley to ensure that they get the best results.

LOL I wish I could explain what I mean in a clearer way but this where I really show up my lack of technical jargon/knowledge.
Basically you do not want them to pick connections that are "under-saturated" on the network, to make them look good.

You want them to pick a fair cross-section, perhaps at random.

For example, maybe one piece of equipment serves a medium sized area, thus straining it. Whereas several pieces of equipment serve a large area, but are within capacity.
You want to make sure they don't cherry pick the large area with lots of capacity free.

joglynne
29-07-2009, 13:20
Basically you do not want them to pick connections that are "under-saturated" on the network, to make them look good.

You want them to pick a fair cross-section, perhaps at random.

For example, maybe one piece of equipment serves a medium sized area, thus straining it. Whereas several pieces of equipment serve a large area, but are within capacity.
You want to make sure they don't cherry pick the large area with lots of capacity free.

You star Druchii. https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/07/3.gif That's exactly what I mean. You have interpreted my poor excuse for an explanation and all my unseen hand waving brilliantly. ....

<jo now sits back and waits to be reassured that her suspicions are unfounded>

Milambar
29-07-2009, 14:22
I got an email telling me that I had been selected, and asking me to confirm that I still wanted to participate. I confirmed, nothing since.

Welshchris
29-07-2009, 14:42
milambar when did u get that email

Wickedkitten
30-07-2009, 10:31
I just got my kit this morning

g0mit
30-07-2009, 11:01
just got mine

AndyCambs
30-07-2009, 22:59
I don't think this is classed as discussing results - but does anyone know if there is a minimum download and upload speed? For example, 20Mb is upto, but what's the least you should be receiving?

broadbandking
30-07-2009, 23:11
I think anything below 16Mb is going to cause for concern

lowei
30-07-2009, 23:31
what about 50 meg????

broadbandking
31-07-2009, 00:32
45Mb

Ignitionnet
31-07-2009, 09:55
So customers on 20Mbit should expect 80% of performance, customers on 50Mbit 90%?

Just for clarity this isn't an official number is it? Trying to save some emails to the trial support guys there ;)

Looking at my old speed tests rare that my 20 even reached 80% by the way :p:

broadbandking
31-07-2009, 10:56
Thats the speed that to me would cause concern I never said they was official figures.
However getting something above those speed or even getting those speeds people don't complain, someone getting lower than those speeds will cause people to complain.

dd11
01-08-2009, 11:06
Is anyone else using the silver unit (on 50mb) having problems with it dropping out the connection to the router?

at the mo i've got the it set up like this: (ALL using CAT6 cables)
Virgin 50meg Cable modem -> Netgear router -> Virgin Trial equipment, (which has 3 ethernet ports, 1 as input from netgear and...(the 2nd of the 2 spare ports has a IP CCTV camera connected to it, the other ethernet port goes to a GIGABIT router, where i have my PC, Server, PS3, connected.

The problem im having is that every 45mins or so the connection from the Virgin trial box, to the netgear is lost and sometimes comes back after a few mins, (although the connected light is still on where i've plugged it in on the netgear), if not then i restart the virgin trial box and it resets and works again.

I've tried different cables etc. I wouldn't mind this too much, however i have my server connected which is important that i can access files remotely, and i can't trust this trial unit to ensure im able to reach the server.
I could try plugging swapping the server around and plug it in where the IP camera is...but i need it to be on GIGABIT and i think the virgin trial box is 10/100.

If i connected the pc/server etc directly to the router, then surely it will ruin the test as the box wont know when to test my connection, i.e when its being used or not.

I also find that the unit gets EXTREMLY hot! It's in an open space, so whats that all about?

Any suggestions? :(

v0id
01-08-2009, 22:47
Does anyone know what happens to the equipment after the trial, whether you would get to keep it. because I'll jump at the chance if there's ever another trial.

homealone
01-08-2009, 22:52
Does anyone know what happens to the equipment after the trial, whether you would get to keep it. because I'll jump at the chance if there's ever another trial.

the equipment is a wireless G router with firmware dedicated to the trial - why would you want to keep it???

Cobbydaler
01-08-2009, 22:59
the equipment is a wireless G router with firmware dedicated to the trial - why would you want to keep it???

As it may be a wrt54gl with linux os you could reflash it with tomato or dd-wrt firmware... ;)

(That's if it's the same hardware as they used last year in a wider trial)

homealone
01-08-2009, 23:10
As it may be a wrt54gl with linux os you could reflash it with tomato or dd-wrt firmware... ;)

(That's if it's the same hardware as they used last year in a wider trial)

It is a wrt54GL - but shirley wireless G is not really the kit to have for use with 20Mb & above connections??

Cobbydaler
01-08-2009, 23:14
It is a wrt54GL - but shirley wireless G is not really the kit to have for use with 20Mb & above connections??

Always used to get 18 - 19Mb with my g router when I was on 20Mb :shrug:

Plus as I'm your straight man, don't call me Shirley....

homealone
01-08-2009, 23:17
Always used to get 18 - 19Mb with my g router when I was on 20Mb :shrug:

Plus as I'm your straight man, don't call me Shirley....

ok - brenda, ;) my apologies, I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to wireless routers - it may be that keeping the kit may be useful, after all - thanks :)

Cobbydaler
01-08-2009, 23:21
ok - brenda, ;) my apologies, I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to wireless routers - it may be that keeping the kit may be useful, after all - thanks :)

It is only 4 metres away so peoples MMV... :)

Paul
01-08-2009, 23:43
You dont get to keep it anyway :)

---------- Post added at 23:43 ---------- Previous post was at 23:41 ----------

Well if VM play fair my area will be represented but being some what cynical, and not having seen anywhere that VM aren't the ones choosing who to use, I suspect that VM will not have missed the opportunity to load the results in their favour.
VM are not actually running the trial are they ? I thought it was Samknows ?

Hiroki
01-08-2009, 23:44
Anyone know how we return these routers at the end of the trial?

dd11
02-08-2009, 00:22
Anyone know how we return these routers at the end of the trial?

a long time before you need to worry about that i'd say.

joglynne
02-08-2009, 00:24
You dont get to keep it anyway :)

---------- Post added at 23:43 ---------- Previous post was at 23:41 ----------

VM are not actually running the trial are they ? I thought it was Samknows ?

As far as I know, I signed up on a VM site, from what I have read VM sent out the acknowledgments of the applications and the confirmations of acceptance on to the trial. If these emails came from SamKnows then I apologise to VM for not trusting them.

Although the equipment may well be supplied by Samknows (http://www.samknows.com/broadband/news/virgin-media-partners-with-samknows-to-measure-broadband-performance-777.html)I can find nothing that says their involvement in this trial is anything other than the processing and interpretation of data obtained by the test modems, with nothing having been said about their ensuring that the choice of trialists was a fair representation of VM's BB customer base.

LOL I'm sounding as though I wear an aluminum hat which is not like me at all. I guess this trial has just got under my skin.

Milambar
04-08-2009, 15:07
I was delivered a nice Linksys WGR54GL in the post today, along with setup instructions...
So the first thing I did was set it up, and nmap'ed it. Its only got one listening port, port 22. All the others are in a closed state. Closed, not filtered.

PS. I hope that they let us keep them, along with instructions on how to reflash the firmware to Tomato or DD-WRT at the end of the trial. I've always wanted a 54GL, all the local stores only sell the new 54G-UK models.

Zhadnost
04-08-2009, 19:39
Depending on version of the board, there are some pads on it that you can put a header on and use a JTAG cable.

Personally I prefer some of the GS's, they were a bit better specced.

Mustard
05-08-2009, 11:35
Just got a really ugly bare metal box with a massive antenna for use with the trial.

Had to hide it in a cupboard - it was making me feel sick just looking at it...

Peter_
05-08-2009, 11:36
Just got a really ugly bare metal box with a massive antenna for use with the trial.

Had to hide it in a cupboard - it was making me feel sick just looking at it...
Are you on 50Mb as everyone else got the Linksys.

Mustard
05-08-2009, 11:38
Are you on 50Mb as everyone else got the Linksys.

Yeah, 50Mb. Is that the reason for having this ugly thing?

Peter_
05-08-2009, 11:55
Yeah, 50Mb. Is that the reason for having this ugly thing?
Probably as all the smaller packages received the Linksys which is 54g so not powerful enough for a 50Mb connection.

Zhadnost
05-08-2009, 16:38
I assumed the wireless bit wasn't even anabled and the reason why the 54GL was being used was that it makes a cheap, handly little embedded system.

BenMcr
05-08-2009, 16:39
Well if it is sensing wireless activity then the 54g wouldn't work for a 'N' router with 50Mbit ;)

Zhadnost
05-08-2009, 17:11
It didn't occur to me that it would be sensing wireless activity. I can't see how that would work.

Peter_
05-08-2009, 18:35
It didn't occur to me that it would be sensing wireless activity. I can't see how that would work.
It is a passive receiver so that it only runs test while you are not utilising the bandwidth that is why the antennas must be fitted.

Zhadnost
05-08-2009, 22:14
Wouldn't it make more sense for it to sit between the modem and router?

BenMcr
05-08-2009, 23:01
Then it could be acccused of monitoring your usage - would you trust it?!

Mustard
05-08-2009, 23:40
Well my equipment is giving me the results from another customers connection!

Logging in to the samknows site and checking the stats shows me a bunch of results from the past week and an IP that is different to mine.

The only thing that is correct is my name... :rolleyes:

Radeon
06-08-2009, 01:29
Just had an email through saying do I want to do the trial, about time :D

Hopefully the new equipment won't be long coming.

Rik
06-08-2009, 15:07
Received my ugly silver box today :D
A breeze to plug in. :)

Musicman
06-08-2009, 19:24
Well received my unit today, and it is staying in the box, as I do not have any spare power sockets available that are on 24/7 as the only spare one is on an intelligent plug strip which switches off when the PC is not on.

Had not realised you needed power, so requested they come and pick it up.

moaningmags
06-08-2009, 19:37
I don't leave mine on 24/7. It gets turned off at night when we go to bed along with the modem and router.

Rik
06-08-2009, 20:03
Mine is on 24/7
I must be one of the rich people that can afford to pay for all this lovely electrickery ;) or im not afraid of being fried in my bed :D

Milambar
06-08-2009, 20:30
Has anyone had any issues regarding the device? Since incorportating the router into my LAN setup, Ive been unable to play World of Warcraft. The game gets laggier and laggier until I disconnect. Yet if I take the supplied "router" out, it plays perfectly normally.

Radeon
06-08-2009, 20:45
Mine is on 24/7
I must be one of the rich people that can afford to pay for all this lovely electrickery ;) or im not afraid of being fried in my bed :D

Same here, my computers have always been on 24/7, have been for many years, never had any problems or hardware failures :D

dave6x
06-08-2009, 20:51
I applied to take part in this trial weeks ago, not even had an acknowledgement yet!!!

Radeon
06-08-2009, 22:41
I applied to take part in this trial weeks ago, not even had an acknowledgement yet!!!

I also applied weeks ago with now acknowledgement until yesterday when they asked me to join.

GhostMjr
07-08-2009, 16:03
No news for me either.

What email address did you receive your confirmation from as it may have been filtered by my spam filter.

*sloman*
07-08-2009, 17:18
if we can't say if we are on the trial or not

for example then: if i am on 20mb now and increase to 50mb on 22Aug will this mean i need a new trial router ?

BenMcr
07-08-2009, 18:06
Maybe that is something you should ask the people running the trial! - which no one here does ;)

Welshchris
07-08-2009, 18:23
i go this today...

Hello there,

Thanks for volunteering to take part in the Virgin Media Broadband Trial. Unfortunately on this occasion all the triallist slots have now gone.

Please keep an eye out for future trials, as we hope you’ll apply again!

Once again, thanks for volunteering.

alferret
07-08-2009, 18:44
It is a passive receiver so that it only runs test while you are not utilising the bandwidth that is why the antennas must be fitted.

I have removed the offending antenna as the box is in my bedroom.

My connection goes thus.

MODEM> SAMKNOWS linksys> ROUTER linksys> (1 connection from router to girls PC and 1 to boys pc + 1 to 8 port switch) 8 PORT TO MEDIA CENTRE + 8 PORT TO BELKING 54g ACCESS POINT for 2 laptops.
All routers\switches + modem on 24\7 (Mrs keeps an eye on the best leccy deals so we switch often if needed)

deathtrap3000
07-08-2009, 19:54
I have removed the offending antenna as the box is in my bedroom.

My connection goes thus.

MODEM> SAMKNOWS linksys> ROUTER linksys> (1 connection from router to girls PC and 1 to boys pc + 1 to 8 port switch) 8 PORT TO MEDIA CENTRE + 8 PORT TO BELKING 54g ACCESS POINT for 2 laptops.
All routers\switches + modem on 24\7 (Mrs keeps an eye on the best leccy deals so we switch often if needed)

And this works?

Thought the samknows router was supposed to be between your router and all your stuff?

Zhadnost
07-08-2009, 20:41
I haven't got the kit yet, tbh by the sounds of this I wish I hadn't applied.

deathtrap3000
07-08-2009, 21:20
I haven't got the kit yet, tbh by the sounds of this I wish I hadn't applied.

Because people are confused about what the antenna is for?

Sonna
07-08-2009, 22:05
i go this today...

Hello there,

Thanks for volunteering to take part in the Virgin Media Broadband Trial. Unfortunately on this occasion all the triallist slots have now gone.

Please keep an eye out for future trials, as we hope you’ll apply again!

Once again, thanks for volunteering.

Just received the same myself...

Zhadnost
08-08-2009, 08:07
Because people are confused about what the antenna is for?

Because it reads like you use it a a router. (in which case it's going straight back).

Rik
08-08-2009, 08:44
Just received an email detailing my bill reduction for assisting in this trial ;)

LOL I wish :D

Zhadnost
08-08-2009, 09:09
It's just arrived, and it is going back.

My router does more than just routing, and has an LACP bonded group to the rest of the network, I don't want to (barely noticably) slow down my network to take place in a trial.

There is also a considerable amount of network traffic that goes to the router that isn't internet bound, so it may have difficulty finding time to do any tests.

---------- Post added at 09:09 ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 ----------

Then it could be acccused of monitoring your usage - would you trust it?!

It sits between your router and every wired device on the network (which for me is everything except my mobile phone, and a media player).

I think I'd rather it sat between the modem and the router, (transparently).

BenMcr
08-08-2009, 09:18
Not to be unkind, but why apply to go on the trial in the first place then?

Zhadnost
08-08-2009, 09:21
I assumed it would be designed to have as little impact as possible.

BenMcr
08-08-2009, 09:28
I would have assumed for most people plugging it into a spare port on a router would be just that

Zhadnost
08-08-2009, 09:49
It doesn't want you to plug it into a spare port on a router, that would be fine. The instructions tell you that all your kit needs to sit behind it too.

Shame, it looks like good kit. (an ALIX box, probably a 2D1 board and whatever mini-PCI Wireless card they bought).

Assuming it is a 2D1, the network ports will all be 10/100 too (even better reason not to use it).

From the Instructions.

"6. Disconnect any other wired network devices from your router. Plug them into the 2 spare ports on the rear of the performance monitoring unit and restart those devices."

So if you have a 10/100 router and are only using 2 ports on it, then it would probably have no impact whatsoever.

TheDon
08-08-2009, 10:12
I really don't see why they've asked for it to be set it up this way.

It'd make much more sense to have it between your modem and router, that way it can monitor all traffic rather than having to sniff for when you're not using the wireless, and wouldn't effect people's home networks in any way. As it stands if you're on a gigabit network you're getting told to switch to 100mbit, which I'm just not willing to do.

Luckily I've got a seperate switch so my setup for it is modem -> router -> performance monitor -> gigabit switch -> everything else, so it doesn't effect my network, but if I didn't have the seperate switch there's no way I'd be using it. They seem to have gone for the most inconveniant method of monitoring.

Zhadnost
08-08-2009, 10:21
I have.

modem -> router* => Gigabit Switch -> Computers/PS3s/media boxes
. . . . . . . . . . . |+ PoE Switch -> Phones and AP.

*router is also fileserver, mediaserver, MythTV box, dev. web/database server, PBX etc.

If it went the most sensible place (between the modem and router) than I'd happily use it.

Phil-ntl
12-08-2009, 15:23
Copy of Email received today:

Welcome to the Virgin Media Broadband Trial

Hello there,

Thanks for volunteering to take part in the Virgin Media Broadband Trial. We have had lots of interest and we would love to have you on standby ready to join the trial when we get space.

With your help in the trial, over the next year we’re going to be measuring the performance of our broadband. From things like how fast your average download speeds are to how reliable our network is. To do this, we’re working with SamKnows, the experts in measuring broadband performance. You can find out more about them at www.samknows.com.

What to do next

We will add your name to our standby list, and when a vacancy occurs we will ask you to join in.

Once again, thanks for volunteering!

Guess they are definately fully subscribed, at least for now. Will sit back and see if i'm called at a later date. Guess its no major loss if not lol

Phil

dave6x
12-08-2009, 15:32

Guess they are definately fully subscribed, at least for now. Will sit back and see if i'm called at a later date. Guess its no major loss if not lol

Phil

Snap!!!!

You got there before me, I was just going to post a similar reply as I got exactly the same email today!

alexcopeland
12-08-2009, 15:32

Phil

Also have that in my inbox. Would like to have helped but will wait for now.

Matt-08
12-08-2009, 17:49
You're still in with a chance of winning a prize first time around if you applied but aren't accepted for the trial.

scrotnig
12-08-2009, 18:20
I've just had that email too, which is fair enough, but if I'm not good enough first time I'm not good enough second time. If they do get people backing out, I don't want to know.

cnewton2k
12-08-2009, 19:53
Well i got mine today and i am a little confused on how to connect it!

I was under the impression that it plugged into a spare ethernet port! But the instuctions say thast everything has to go through it!!

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Would it be possible to just to connect it to a spare port? I am running a D-Link DIR 655 and use the Gigabit lan and wouyld really want to go back to standard ethernet!

Cheers

Milambar
12-08-2009, 21:30
The modem connects to your routers WAN port. Then connect the "devices" WAN port to one of your routers LAN ports. Then plug everything else into the "device's" LAN ports.

On a different note, the device I was sent has stopped working. It just sits there, not giving me a connection at all.

scrotnig
12-08-2009, 22:59
There should be a means to opt out of this if you no longer want anything to do with it, but as far as I can see, there isn't.

I guess I should have read the details more carefully, but it doesn't matter. If they send me any equipment now they've wasted their time, I shan't connect it up.

Paul
12-08-2009, 23:05
You really are so negative these days Mark. Chill out a bit :)

deathtrap3000
13-08-2009, 00:04
There should be a means to opt out of this if you no longer want anything to do with it, but as far as I can see, there isn't.

I guess I should have read the details more carefully, but it doesn't matter. If they send me any equipment now they've wasted their time, I shan't connect it up.
Just email them and say you dont want to take part anymore.

Then the router can go to someone who actually wants to take part.

TheDon
13-08-2009, 01:21
Would it be possible to just to connect it to a spare port? I am running a D-Link DIR 655 and use the Gigabit lan and wouyld really want to go back to standard ethernet!

Cheers

Nope, it needs everything to go through it as it has to monitor when your connection isn't in use.

The only way around it is the way I have it set up which is to use a 3rd router, and have modem -> router -> testing kit -> gigabit router -> everything else, that way everything internet based will go through the performance testing kit, but local traffic can still be on a gigabit network.

deathtrap3000
13-08-2009, 01:38
Nope, it needs everything to go through it as it has to monitor when your connection isn't in use.

The only way around it is the way I have it set up which is to use a 3rd router, and have modem -> router -> testing kit -> gigabit router -> everything else, that way everything internet based will go through the performance testing kit, but local traffic can still be on a gigabit network.
or you can buy a cheap router and have it between the modem and the test kit.

modem -> cheap router -> test kit -> existing gigabit router

TheDon
13-08-2009, 11:58
or you can buy a cheap router and have it between the modem and the test kit.

modem -> cheap router -> test kit -> existing gigabit router

Which is setting it up exactly how I've said?

deathtrap3000
13-08-2009, 12:13
Which is setting it up exactly how I've said?
No its like I said. ;)

TheDon
13-08-2009, 15:04
No its like I said. ;)

Your "or" consists of adding the words cheap, and existing, to what I wrote. I'm not seeing how that makes it an "or" which is an alternative, when you're saying exactly the same thing as I did?

cnewton2k
13-08-2009, 17:52
so i cant have it

modem -----> Test Kit ----->Dlink Dir 655

deathtrap3000
14-08-2009, 03:41
Your "or" consists of adding the words cheap, and existing, to what I wrote. I'm not seeing how that makes it an "or" which is an alternative, when you're saying exactly the same thing as I did?
Wow chill out, it was just a joke.

AndyCambs
25-09-2009, 13:51
Just been looking at the newgroups and there are a number of people on the trial who apparently all suffered a loss of speed - strangely enough, it was all at the same time.
So is this the speed, or some fault with the measuring do we think?

Milambar
25-09-2009, 16:27
Well, Im on the trial, and I got sent a duff router, and the mail address they give us all to report problems stopped replying after a hard reset of the router failed to work.

I'm unsure what to do next, tbh. So the routers nicely packed back in its box for now.

deathtrap3000
25-09-2009, 23:28
My speed is all over the place.

Its because its been running tests while ive been downloading though. The kit is rubbish. It should sit between your router and the modem, not between your stuff and your router.

Rik
30-11-2009, 13:42
Does anybody know when this trial is ending?

Ive had my magic silver box removed for a month or so, recieved an email from the trial guys informing me that it was disconnected, and politely asking me to plug it back in which I have done, after all fairs fair :)

But i would like to remove it again in the next month or so, so i can reconnect my Gb switch, its kind of inconvienent this box now.

But as I won a prize in the draw I would like to assist these guys as much as I possibly can :)

deathtrap3000
05-12-2009, 02:51
About a year wasnt it??

What did you win in the prize draw?

InsaneNutter
09-12-2009, 21:09
I have just got one of those performance monitoring kits this weekend, can i access the device in any way? I thought you were able to view stats and stuff.

My router has given it the ip 192.168.1.92 however it doesn't appear to have a web interface active, it is running an SSH server though.

Also can I set it up modem > performance monitoring kit > router?