PDA

View Full Version : New virgin modem keeps timing out :|

Jimaxx
18-06-2009, 20:55
Virgin recently sent us a new modem, and since installing I keep repeadly having very shot connection drops cutting ventrillo/skype/games out for a short time, and it proves very annoying

I dont know if this is because I recently signed up for the 2>10mb Medium package and it may be getting updated or if there is something wrong with the router : \.

I tried spam reseting once, but nothing good came of it, cna anyone help?

Edit: Its connected to a router in which im on the wired for set to "Obtain IP adress automaticly", this worked ifne iwth the old surfboard/(Broad?) modem

Cheers, Jim.

Welshchris
18-06-2009, 21:04
spam resetting?

Jimaxx
18-06-2009, 21:13
spam resetting?

Unplugigng router/modem for like 30seconds, plugging back in once or twice, spam was a bit of an exagaration. :erm:

Welshchris
18-06-2009, 21:17
wasnt so much of an exaggeration i dont think a SPAM reset actually exists

Peter_
18-06-2009, 22:27
Virgin recently sent us a new modem, and since installing I keep repeadly having very shot connection drops cutting ventrillo/skype/games out for a short time, and it proves very annoying

I dont know if this is because I recently signed up for the 2>10mb Medium package and it may be getting updated or if there is something wrong with the router : \.

I tried spam reseting once, but nothing good came of it, cna anyone help?

Edit: Its connected to a router in which im on the wired for set to "Obtain IP adress automaticly", this worked ifne iwth the old surfboard/(Broad?) modem

Cheers, Jim.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post what modem you have and your power levels from your config pages of your modem. The should be a sticker on the bottom saying what model.

If using an Ambit modem please click here
http://root:root@192.168.100.1/CmOpConfig.asp

If using any other modem click here
http://192.168.100.1/

What I want you to post is the Downstream power levels including the SNR and the Upstream power levels for me thanks.

DO NOT POST YOUR MAC ADDRESS OR SERIAL NUMBER

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jimaxx
18-06-2009, 22:56
Im assuming this is what you want:

Downstream Receive Power Level : -1.1 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 39.3 dB

Upstream transmit Power Level : 46.0 dBmV

It was the top link whihc worked so im assuming its the ambit

Peter_
19-06-2009, 06:12
Downstream Receive Power Level : -1.1 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 39.3 dB
Upstream transmit Power Level : 46.0 dBmV

They are spot on, when you lose connection do the sync and ready light go off at all, if not are you connected wirelessly as it may be your router losing connection.

Jimaxx
19-06-2009, 09:43
They are spot on, when you lose connection do the sync and ready light go off at all, if not are you connected wirelessly as it may be your router losing connection.

I am not connected wirelessly on the computer I myself use (Im the only person noticing the disconects as the computers on wireless are mainly used for internet browsing and such and there very short disconects) and im not sure about the sync/ready lights, the timeouts are so random I'd have to like sit next to the modem with someone upstairs on my computer for a while : /, illl see about it later.

I realised this morning that the laptop downstairs connected wirelessly (what im posting off) required me to go into the router settings (192.168.0.1) and give it a reboot before it could connect or find a webpage.

The connection drops are extremely quick, as in as soon as I realise I've lost connection on a game or VT or something if I go refresh a webpage its allready working.

I'm thinking its a router problem with the new modem after what youve said and the problem with this laptop on wireless this morning, but I'm not a networking person so I have no clue on how or what to do about it.

Cheers, Jim.

EDIT: I just did a speed test and im now on 10mb, could that be the reason why I needed to restart the router this morning?

Jimaxx
19-06-2009, 12:16
Edit2: On the computer which is on the wired internet, since getting upgraded to 10mb it caps at about 2.3mb on speedtest.net but has also downloading windows 7 rc at a consistent 1.09mb :erm:

To add to this, when first going in programs in which I can see latency and such there is a high latency of around 600-2k depending on the application before it settles down but eventully times out

(Cant click edit)

Peter_
19-06-2009, 17:43
I am not connected wirelessly on the computer I myself use (Im the only person noticing the disconects as the computers on wireless are mainly used for internet browsing and such and there very short disconects) and im not sure about the sync/ready lights, the timeouts are so random I'd have to like sit next to the modem with someone upstairs on my computer for a while : /, illl see about it later.

I realised this morning that the laptop downstairs connected wirelessly (what im posting off) required me to go into the router settings (192.168.0.1) and give it a reboot before it could connect or find a webpage.

The connection drops are extremely quick, as in as soon as I realise I've lost connection on a game or VT or something if I go refresh a webpage its allready working.

I'm thinking its a router problem with the new modem after what youve said and the problem with this laptop on wireless this morning, but I'm not a networking person so I have no clue on how or what to do about it.

You are running through a router via cable and that could be causing the issue so if possible try a direct connection to the modem.

If you are having to reboot the router to get your connection back then it is definitely that at fault.