PDA

View Full Version : Bye Bye VM Broadband....

Earl of Bronze
17-06-2009, 23:39
I've had it since broadband was first introduced to the Belfast Franchise 6 or 7 years ago, and I've finally decided enough is enough with VM's internet service.

For the last 12 - 14 months I've been suffering an slowly increasing disconnect problem, and tonights fiasco with tech support has iced my cake ! In the last couple of months I've called tech support on numerous occasions, ass with the same recurring issue....

At any random hour of the day or night. I'll get a massive lag spike, followed shortly by a cycle of disconnects for anywhere between 3 and 5 minutes. Followed by a reconnect to net, for a similar ammount of time. This disconnect, reconnect will repeat for hours at a time, then normal service resumes....

For months, any time I'm online I have had command prompt open, with either a tracert to the VM website or an extended ping -n 500 to the same location. To say that some of the results of the extended ping tests have been horrifying would be an understatement. I'll copy/paste the last couple of lines from one such test below.....

Ping statistics for 212.250.162.12:
Packets: Sent = 500, Received = 371, Lost = 129 (25% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 17ms, Maximum = 93ms, Average = 22ms

C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxx xxxxxx>

test completed at 11.03 am 14/16/2009

The only times I've received any real help from tech support was when they agreed my old Ambit 100 modem was faulty, and needed replaced (which was done the next day by an installer buddy of mine). The second occasion was when a lovely lady in tech support stepped up to the plate, and talked her manager to escalating my disconnect issue to 2nd line tech support. I should alos mention, that this lovely, and helpful lady let slip that I was on a 90:1 contention ratio, which left me speechless, as thats 180% of the 50:1 it should be.... Unfortunately the promiced return call never materialised, which did nothing except make a liar of one of the few compitent tech support people I've talked to over the last 14 or so months. Since then I've called on a number of other occasions, and they eventually agreed to send out a faults tech to look at the cabling. Again, my mate I used to install with back in the old ntl days called out. Checked all the signal levels, checked the f-connectors, checked the splitter in the ETB and the isolator at the computer.... All perfect, as can be expected when an installer does his own install. ;)

I talked to the tech, explained the problem, and he agreed to have his supervisor call me back that afternoon.... Shame that call never came....

Two weeks on, and the problem persists. Which is very bad for all concerned. In the last 2 weeks I've been unable to complete 5 Ulduar (heroic) raids where we have been making attempts on Algalon (the Raid Breaker). To say I take my WoW raiding seriously would be a major understatement, and for me to be getting disconnected every 3 - 5 minutes, on a summoned Raid Boss thats only available for 1 hour per night ammounts to level 10 frustration....

Anyway!

The disconnects start again tonight, causing me to be booted from yet another Ulduar raid. So I decided to call tech support....

After ten minutes on hold I got through and talked to an agent, who unfortunatley had no idea what and extended ping test was, nor what the results ment....

C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxx xxxxxx>ping -n 500 www.virginmedia.com
Ping request could not find host www.virginmedia.com. Please check the name and try again.

Nor did he think

Ping statistics for 212.250.162.12:
Packets: Sent = 300, Received = 263, Lost = 37 (12% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 18ms, Maximum = 63ms, Average = 27ms

C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxx xxxxxx>

test completed 21.34 on 17/06/2009

was relevent to my constant disconnest - reconnect lasting over an 90 minutes this evening. He decided what I needed to do was phone Advanced Tech Support on 090 69910 001 and speak to them.... I thought Result ! I finally get to speak to tier 2 tech suppot, so imagine my frustration when it turned out I had been given the £1/minute PC Helpline number.... I called straight back to tech support, and after a frustration 10 minutes on the phone trying to explain what my problem was, and what actions I had taken to identify possible reasons for this problem. I was told by the tech support agent she had no idea what an extended ping test was, or what it did. I asked her if she could check the contention ratio for my BB, to which she replied she couldn't. Strange that a previous agent could do that, but hey.... I asked if she could escalate my problem to second line tech support ? To which she replied that it was company policy not to do this.... I asked if she could inform second line tech support of my ongoing issues and get them to phone me.... Reply.... It is not company policy to do any form of callback with regards to any fault, or broadband problem.

In the end I informed the lady in India that seeing as it was company policy to give no real tech support to customers trying to do tech supports jobs, I felt I had no other recourse but to cancel my Broadband and phone services from VM. In addition to this, I would be making a formal complaint not only to VM, but also to Ofcom and Trading Standards.

Tomorrow VM looses a customer of 8+ years, so much for tech support and customer care....

moaningmags
18-06-2009, 00:15
I feel embarassed at the rubbish you've been told and the runaround you've had.
I'm not going to suggest calling back as that would be insulting.

What I would suggest as a last ditch effort before cancelling completely is to post in the virginmedia support newsgroups as these are manned by 2nd line UK agents.

http://www.virginmedia.com/help/cable/newsgroups/setting-up.php
Tells you how to setup the newsgroups if you don't know how to.

The group you're looking for is virginmedia.support.broadband.cable
Post there detailing your issues, ping test results etc and they'll either sort it for you or tell what's going on with your area.

Failing that call 150 and select the option of thinking of leaving us, tell them why you're leaving and they should escalate it to be troubleshot properly.

Earl of Bronze
18-06-2009, 00:38

What I would suggest as a last ditch effort before cancelling completely is to post in the virginmedia support newsgroups as these are manned by 2nd line UK agents.

Post there detailing your issues, ping test results etc and they'll either sort it for you or tell what's going on with your area.

Failing that call 150 and select the option of thinking of leaving us, tell them why you're leaving and they should escalate it to be troubleshot properly.

If Cust Care escalate the call straight away tomorrow, I'll give them one last shot at it, but I dont hold out any real hope. If the helpful lady in India is correct, and I'm running on a 90:1 contention ratio on the Glengormley UBR (which even 5 years ago when I last worked for ntl, was known to be a pile of fresh puppy poo). Then I doubt the network admins will be willing to rebalance the UBR for what they will see as one bolshi customer. I have a feeling that all that will result with my call tomorrow is a name and address to which I will send a letter detailing VM's failurers to properly maintain their network. Or when a customer with knowlage spends weeks trying to identify the area that said problems are possibly occuring, and asks for help and not have any be given....

If help isn't forthcomming tomorrow, I'll be on ADSL 10 mins after I hang up.... I have an ADSL business line, and an unused ADSL enabled phone line. All i need do is plug the moden in, connect to my computer and bye-bye VM....

ro53ben
18-06-2009, 08:15
I sympathise with you, really I do.

I managed to get my problems escalated. I regularly get callbacks. I dunno which is worse because nearly 2 months later and I'm still getting random disconnects.

I've used cable internet for about 10yrs, it was available in my area before ADSL so was my first non-dialup service. I've always testified to the throughput and reliability of the cable network...until we were migrated to the new DOCSIS3 infrastructure.

Since then it's been a storm of random disconnect, sometimes disconnection several times an hour and requiring a physical reboot of the cable modem to get back online. I'm paying for a premium 50meg service and all I get is utter rubbish...my internet radio can't even wake me up in the morning as it has no connection.

If this is still going on next week, I'm really going to lose my patience.

LaineY
18-06-2009, 08:43

Your right MoaningMags that is an utter embarresment =|

ro53ben
18-06-2009, 09:48
People can be as embarassed as they like but, at the end of the day, this is happening to many customers every single day. When you have a problem you can call 3 different time in a row and be given 3 completely different reasons for your problem. It took me many days of running around before I even got near anybody who might be able to fix my problem.

People are told to go to Twitter, go to newsgroups, post on forums, phone india...write to their MP. OK, I made up the last one but, seriously, all you should have to do is call the free fault line and tell people you have a problem. From there it should be resolved or escalated accordingly.

It seems to me that VirginMedia are supporting their image more than they are supporting their customers. If you start screaming that the service is a load of rubbish on a few high profile places like Twitter, then people start to take notice...but it's a joke that this is required. As long as they are seen to be helping then their image is in some way protected.

We shouldn't need Twitter, newsgroups, Chief Exec offices etc. - we should just have a decent, reliable, support infrastructure.

fedupstill
18-06-2009, 12:23
I've always testified to the throughput and reliability of the cable network...until we were migrated to the new DOCSIS3 infrastructure.

Since then it's been a storm of random disconnect, sometimes disconnection several times an hour and requiring a physical reboot of the cable modem to get back online. I'm paying for a premium 50meg service and all I get is utter rubbish.

perfect service for years and along comes 50mb .... kills it :( its never recovered since

Xan
18-06-2009, 13:07
been with ntl/virgin media for years the india call centers are s..t and have no idea what they are doing.

WolvesAlan
18-06-2009, 14:05
Just joined the forum simply to have my say on this issue. I have been with VM for 6 years now and have always been an unpaid salesman for them! I have advocated their previously excellent broadband service to 3 friends who have all subsequently chosen VM.

However, the decision to move tech support to India is outrageous. Seriously, it is interesting that the Sales Division seem to be based in the UK. Yet when you need support, you have to speak to someone with a limited grasp of English and an even more limited knowledge of broadband. It's very, very frustrating.

All I apparently need is a replacement modem. A simple item really that could probably be sent next day you might have thought. No, 4 or 5 business days (which let's be honest, you can add another couple of days to). That really is a joke to be without broadband for over 1 week. I don't mind paying next day delivery I inform them - they can't do it.

Anyway, not sure you are allowed you mention S.K.Y on here(!) but they are doing some great deals at the moment which VM simply can't seem to match. Combine that with poor customer service and I think I am about to join the queue of disgruntled VM customers leaving. Shame really, as I have always been a fan of VM. Is it really worth yet another phone call to resolve?

broadbandking
18-06-2009, 16:34
Well I am sure I could find Sky's number for you

WolvesAlan
18-06-2009, 17:03
Well I am sure I could find Sky's number for you

Well, that would be more help than I have had off Virgin so far ;)

Not sure it's the kind of attitude you need to retain long-standing customers though. Still, when they've outsourced your job to India maybe you'll be the one needing Sky's number not me. Thanks for your advice.

Peter_
18-06-2009, 17:49
All I apparently need is a replacement modem. A simple item really that could probably be sent next day you might have thought. No, 4 or 5 business days (which let's be honest, you can add another couple of days to). That really is a joke to be without broadband for over 1 week. I don't mind paying next day delivery I inform them - they can't do it.

It usually takes about 2/3 days if ordered before 3pm but can take up to 10 working days as it is sent from a third party supplier via UPS.

The are 5 Technical Support call centres for Virginmedia Broadband.

! : Liverpool
2 : Swansea
3 : Airdrie.
4 : Delhi
5 : Pune.

Then on top of that the are the other call centres for the other Virginmedia services dotted around the UK.

WolvesAlan
18-06-2009, 18:46
It usually takes about 2/3 days if ordered before 3pm but can take up to 10 working days as it is sent from a third party supplier via UPS.

The are 5 Technical Support call centres for Virginmedia Broadband.

! : Liverpool
2 : Swansea
3 : Airdrie.
4 : Delhi
5 : Pune.

Then on top of that the are the other call centres for the other Virginmedia services dotted around the UK.

That is pretty interesting (and I don't doubt you for a minute) but each time I have called (about 5 times now) I have spoken to someone from Delhi. I'm sure it probably comes across as a bit racist, but it is very hard to have a coherent conversation with these technical support staff.

Anyway, I'm going to wait until Monday by which time I should have received my new modem and if that works I'll be a happy customer again. If not...

Peter_
18-06-2009, 19:00
That is pretty interesting (and I don't doubt you for a minute) but each time I have called (about 5 times now) I have spoken to someone from Delhi.

No need to doubt me as all you need to do is check my sig below.:D

WolvesAlan
18-06-2009, 19:38
No need to doubt me as all you need to do is check my sig below.:D

No offense, but when you get a different story every time you speak to a VM employee on the phone, you do begin to doubt! :D

I'll take your word that there are in fact numerous technical support centres. I'm obviously just unlucky that I keep getting connected to the Delhi centre...:(

Peter_
18-06-2009, 19:42
No offense, but when you get a different story every time you speak to a VM employee on the phone, you do begin to doubt! :D

I'll take your word that there are in fact numerous technical support centres. I'm obviously just unlucky that I keep getting connected to the Delhi centre...:(
Ring after 0800 any day and you should have a better chance of a UK call centre.