PDA

View Full Version : Sticky?

caph
17-06-2009, 23:15
Is there any chance that we could have a sticky thread warning potential broadband customers about VM's policy of deliberately not maintaining a useable level of broadband service for hundreds if not thousands of customers (how many customers are there per UBR anyway?) for as long as they feel like varying from months to years?

I feel this is such an important point that is deserves a sticky.

Raistlin
17-06-2009, 23:19
Is there any chance that we could have a sticky thread warning potential broadband customers about VM's policy of deliberately not maintaining a useable level of broadband service for hundreds if not thousands of customers (how many customers are there per UBR anyway?) for as long as they feel like varying from months to years?

I feel this is such an important point that is deserves a sticky.

I'm assuming that you've got empirical proof that there is a 'deliberate' attempt on VM's part to not deliver a 'usable' level of service to their customers?

Oh......and no, we won't be promoting your post to 'sticky' status.....thanks though.

MovedGoalPosts
17-06-2009, 23:23
If we created a sticky for that, then virtually every thread would need to be a sticky. The answer is no.

And in any case who is to say that they have a policy of "deliberately not maintaining a useable level of broadband service ..." I would have to strognly disagree with that statement. Yes there are customers who have problems. Others have no significant issues.

For myself, I recently hosted a LAN party. On a 20meg connection, there were 7 of us all playing CoD4 on a Friday evening simultaneously using Teamspeak. The game server and the Teamspeak server were both remotely hosted in a data center. None of the people at the LAN party experienced any issues of poor internet performance and none of the people who were connecting to the servers from other locations had problems. That hardly computes with your view of Virgin Media.

broadbandking
17-06-2009, 23:32
If we created a sticky for that, then virtually every thread would need to be a sticky. The answer is no.

And in any case who is to say that they have a policy of "deliberately not maintaining a useable level of broadband service ..." I would have to strognly disagree with that statement. Yes there are customers who have problems. Others have no significant issues.

For myself, I recently hosted a LAN party. On a 20meg connection, there were 7 of us all playing CoD4 on a Friday evening simultaneously using Teamspeak. The game server and the Teamspeak server were both remotely hosted in a data center. None of the people at the LAN party experienced any issues of poor internet performance and none of the people who were connecting to the servers from other locations had problems. That hardly computes with your view of Virgin Media.

Dam thats bad service your recieving *shakes fist at Virgin Media (why you and your bad service)*

To the OP I mean this in the nicest way possible just because you have a bad connection, doesnt mean everyone does.

caph
17-06-2009, 23:40
Sorry, I should have referenced my original thread:-

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33649361-virgin-policy-sod-the-customers.html

And yes Rob M, I am living empirical proof unfortunately and I have the written letters from the CEO's office to prove it. Actually I'm surprised you weren't aware of it, not just from my thread but by many other threads along the same lines.

I really do believe that deliberate business decisions like this warrant people's attention. VM will be signing people up in my area on the basis of the current leaflets doing the rounds and those people really should know what they are getting themselves into. And I know my UBR is not unique in this respect.

Rob, I'm really glad that your UBR has not been suffering chronic oversubscription for the past 8 months, but some have and it has deliberately been left to fester with relief dates deliberately postponed indefinitely. I just think that people deserve to know both sides of the equation. I'm also equally as surprised at your ignorance of this issue.

---------- Post added at 23:40 ---------- Previous post was at 23:39 ----------

Dam thats bad service your recieving *shakes fist at Virgin Media (why you and your bad service)*

To the OP I mean this in the nicest way possible just because you have a bad connection, doesnt mean everyone does.

I didn't say everyone does. I just said that currently it is deliberate VM policy to leave oversubscription to rot.

You are well aware of this from other threads, why are you pretending otherwise?

broadbandking
17-06-2009, 23:47
I admit VM have and still overload areas but to say they do it on purpose they don't always the main areas now will get better due to 50Mb upgrades so VM have no reason to waste money upgrading when they will relief the UBR traffic once the 50Mb upgrade has been done.

Until I have hard proof thats what VM do this then I won't argee.

Trust me I may work or them but I don't stick up for VM if I know for a fact there are doing something under handed, this is why Rob wont make it a sticky he isn't shying away but sticky is for issues that have proof that help people all this is you making stuff up with no proof. btw I don't mean to sound harsh if I do.

caph
17-06-2009, 23:56
My UBR was oversubscribed enough in November last year for VM to schedule a node split. It was cancelled then put off until Feb. Then cancelled and put off until - never. The node split was blatantly necessary last year and every month that has gone by has made it even more necessary however it has not been done. I've been lucky and this has only been going on for 8 months. Others are well over a year. The decision not to carry out relief work is exactly that, a decision. All decisions are deliberate.

This is really just rehashing old ground which I didn't really want to do. I just thought that it was so important as to warrant a sticky. Obviously that's just my opinion though, but I would like to say that I'm only wanting to prevent others misery especially on my UBR BASF3.

Maybe a sticky listing chronically oversubscribed UBRs? We could always inform you when they become useable again?

broadbandking
18-06-2009, 09:35
My UBR was oversubscribed enough in November last year for VM to schedule a node split. It was cancelled then put off until Feb. Then cancelled and put off until - never. The node split was blatantly necessary last year and every month that has gone by has made it even more necessary however it has not been done. I've been lucky and this has only been going on for 8 months. Others are well over a year. The decision not to carry out relief work is exactly that, a decision. All decisions are deliberate.

This is really just rehashing old ground which I didn't really want to do. I just thought that it was so important as to warrant a sticky. Obviously that's just my opinion though, but I would like to say that I'm only wanting to prevent others misery especially on my UBR BASF3.

Maybe a sticky listing chronically oversubscribed UBRs? We could always inform you when they become useable again?

There isn't anyway we could get that list as people on overload UBR's might not even post here and I am sure if a employee post the information and was found out they would be in MAJOR trouble.

lauzjp
18-06-2009, 12:35
weren't vm told to say 'up to speeds of...' in the ads now? :dozey:

Chris
18-06-2009, 12:51
This question has been asked and answered - no need to keep it running.

Thread closed