PDA

View Full Version : Can't stream iPlayer videos or audio

petcri
17-06-2009, 22:04
Has anyone encountered any problems playing video or audio programmes streamed from the BBC iPLayer service?

Since I've been upgraded to the 50 MB service I have been unable to play any streamed video or audio programmes from the iPlayer service. I can connect to the 'site' and the programme pictures appear but the "click-to-play" icon is greyed-out.

Anyone any clues on how to 'fix' this?

petcri

Peter_
17-06-2009, 22:06
Can you post the links to see if they work.

petcri
17-06-2009, 22:10
Thanks for the prompt reply Moldova, how do I post a link from my iPhone?

I can play the streamed video and audio files if I access them through some one else's wifi connection.

petcri

Peter_
17-06-2009, 22:12
Thanks for the prompt reply Moldova, how do I post a link from my iPhone?

I can play the streamed video and audio files if I access them through some one else's wifi connection.

petcri
Reallyyou need to cut and paste the website address bar from your PC or Mac for ease.

petcri
17-06-2009, 22:17
O.K. Here is a link to a programme

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00l97tz/Mary_Queen_of_Charity_Shops_Episode_3/

I can't play it on my iPhone via my home wifi network but I can play it on my iPhone in work or any cafe with a free wifi connection. I know the video is available because I can watch it on both of my wifi connected laptops on my home wifi network.

petcri

Peter_
17-06-2009, 22:20
O.K. Here is a link to a programme

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00l97tz/Mary_Queen_of_Charity_Shops_Episode_3/

I can't play it on my iPhone via my home wifi network but I can play it on my iPhone in work or any cafe with a free wifi connection. I know the video is available because I can watch it on both of my wifi connected laptops on my home wifi network.

petcri
Its playing fine on my Linux O/S on 20Mb so must an issue with the router you are using.

petcri
17-06-2009, 22:31
Hi Moldova,

The router is my own router and I've been watching the iPlayer programmes with it since the iPhone iPlayer service started. It stopped working on the day I received the new modem.

petcri

P.S. Thanks for taking the time to consider this problem.

---------- Post added at 22:31 ---------- Previous post was at 22:24 ----------

Its playing fine on my Linux O/S on 20Mb so must an issue with the router you are using.

I forgot to say it worked perfectly when I had the 20Mb service as well, however, it was a different modem I had then but the same wireless router (A Buffalo).

petcri

Peter_
17-06-2009, 22:34
Hi Moldova,

The router is my own router and I've been watching the iPlayer programmes with it since the iPhone iPlayer service started. It stopped working on the day I received the new modem.

petcri

P.S. Thanks for taking the time to consider this problem.

---------- Post added at 22:31 ---------- Previous post was at 22:24 ----------

I forgot to say it worked perfectly when I had the 20Mb service as well, however, it was a different modem I had then but the same wireless router (A Buffalo).

petcri
Have you tried it with the Netgear you received with the 50Mb package.

petcri
17-06-2009, 22:39
Yes, the Netgear has the same problem. I only switched back to the Buffalo modem because I knew it had worked OK in the past and the settings had not been changed.

I also upgraded the firmware in the Netgear modem but the problem stubbornly remains.

petcri

Peter_
17-06-2009, 22:44
Yes, the Netgear has the same problem. I only switched back to the Buffalo modem because I knew it had worked OK in the past and the settings had not been changed.

I also upgraded the firmware in the Netgear modem but the problem stubbornly remains.

petcri
I cannot think of any reason for it to happen and as you are probably aware we do not support connections such as iPhones as they should just work as you know it does on other connections.

I presume your computer works with no problem at all.

Try the iPhone thread for help http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/26/33620888-the-iphone-thread.html

petcri
17-06-2009, 22:48
I cannot think of any reason for it to happen and as you are probably aware we do not support connections such as iPhones as they should just work as you know it does on other connections.

I presume your computer works with no problem at all.

Try the iPhone thread for help http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/26/33620888-the-iphone-thread.html

Yes my PC and laptops can all play the streamed video and audio files on the iPLayer servers.

I'll try the iPhone thread as you suggest.

Thanks for taking the time to try and sort out this problem.

petcri