PDA

View Full Version : forged £20 note

martyh
17-06-2009, 20:48
went to the cashpoint at a barclays yesterday and took some money out,it turned out that one of the £20 note's is a forgery.Does anyone know if it is possible to get a real one to replace it via the bank or my own bank (natwest):mad:

bopdude
17-06-2009, 20:49
Probably not seeing as how it's a day later, no harm in going to the bank and explaining what has happened.

Peter_
17-06-2009, 20:51
They are supposed to confiscate forged notes so not sure what they will do.

martyh
17-06-2009, 20:53
since it came out of their own cash machine surely their responsible for passing the note

superbiatch
17-06-2009, 20:54
Not sure how you'd prove you got it from there unless you went straight in and told them?

I know when our cash machine is filled all notes are checked. Its really easy to tell if they are fakes, so i'd assume they hadn't been checked.

Peter_
17-06-2009, 20:56
The problem is proving that it came out of their machine and especially a day later and the banks are instructed to confiscate forgeries without recompense by the Bank of England.

Its a catch 22 situation to say the least.

martyh
17-06-2009, 21:01
The problem is proving that it came out of their machine and especially a day later and the banks are instructed to confiscate forgeries without recompense by the Bank of England.

Its a catch 22 situation to say the least.

don't they keep a record of the serial numbers ?

Peter_
17-06-2009, 21:10
don't they keep a record of the serial numbers ?
Do you mean what goes in the machine or just known forgeries.

martyh
17-06-2009, 21:16
Do you mean what goes in the machine or just known forgeries.

a record of the numbers that go into the machine

Peter_
17-06-2009, 21:21
a record of the numbers that go into the machine
No idea but cannot see them doing that as they would have a record of the forgeries and that would flag up.

It makes you wonder if the banks deliberate seed the machines with fakes to get rid of them.

Kymmy
17-06-2009, 21:23
It makes you wonder if the banks deliberate seed the machines with fakes to get rid of them.

Yes they do, I use my forgeries to buy more tin foil for my hat making business ;) :p: :D

martyh
17-06-2009, 21:26
been doing a googe about this problem and came accross loads of people who have had the same problem and no joy so i'll probably just order a chinese ;)

Peter_
17-06-2009, 21:28
been doing a googe about this problem and came accross loads of people who have had the same problem and no joy so i'll probably just order a chinese ;)
Check out this link and the top PDF in weblinks this heading Take A Closer Look - Know Your Banknotes (http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/kyb_lo_res.pdf)

martyh
17-06-2009, 21:42
Check out this link and the top PDF in weblinks this heading Take A Closer Look - Know Your Banknotes (http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/kyb_lo_res.pdf)

usefull link cheers
it is quite obvious that it is a forgery when placed next to other notes but when looked at on it's own it just looks slightly worn ,this is one of the new ones aswell with all the security features it's only the paper quality that lets it down

alferret
17-06-2009, 22:06
I'll give you a fiver for it ;)

martyh
17-06-2009, 22:14

done ..i'll just pm all my bank details to you ;)

superbiatch
17-06-2009, 22:14
usefull link cheers
it is quite obvious that it is a forgery when placed next to other notes but when looked at on it's own it just looks slightly worn ,this is one of the new ones aswell with all the security features it's only the paper quality that lets it down

If you rub your thumb over the small £20 in the centre, you should feel that its raised slightly also. Its the same with £10 notes but not £5 IIRC

Gary L
17-06-2009, 22:42

That reminds me of £500 of Halfords vouchers for £495 plus £5 postage on Ebay.

Jimmy-J
18-06-2009, 00:34
You can do a quick test with most notes. Just rub hard a part of the note that's deepest in colour on a plain piece of white paper, if the colour is transferred to the paper then it's usually genuine. The ink never dries on real notes.

TheDaddy
18-06-2009, 01:14

They'll confiscate it and tell you that all their staff are so well trained they couldn't possibly let a forged not slip under their radar, at least that's what they told my ex wife years back when they gave her a fake fifty, she hadn't even left the bank when she turned round and complained and they tried to accuse her of switching them :rolleyes:

Still it was all fun and games and she got her cash back a few hours later after, well lets just leave it at that :cool:

---------- Post added at 01:14 ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 ----------

By not checking them and denying any responsibility they are deliberately passing on the problem for their customers to deal with, who following their fine example can't be blamed for passing them on again.

Nidge
18-06-2009, 04:06
went to the cashpoint at a barclays yesterday and took some money out,it turned out that one of the £20 note's is a forgery.Does anyone know if it is possible to get a real one to replace it via the bank or my own bank (natwest):mad:

It's nothing to do with the bank because they don't fill the machines, they are filled at another location and the cash is put into cartridges of £20's and £10's. The Security van drops the money off in black plastic cases with the cartridges inside, the staff then slide the cartridges out and insert the new ones.

If you go intp the bank they'll keep the forged money and phone the police.

---------- Post added at 04:06 ---------- Previous post was at 04:05 ----------

You can do a quick test with most notes. Just rub hard a part of the note that's deepest in colour on a plain piece of white paper, if the colour is transferred to the paper then it's usually genuine. The ink never dries on real notes.

Thats how I test mine.

lauzjp
18-06-2009, 12:59
and those 'detective' pens end up leaving marks on the notes, so the notes end up a few months down the line looking like fakes :rolleyes: