PDA

View Full Version : Phone Not Working

Dougie
17-06-2009, 19:59
Evening All!

I have just discovered that my VM phone line isnt working. There's no ring tone and you get the following message if you ring our number; "The Number you have called is temporarily out of service".

I have checked all the connections and they seem to be ok. Broadband is working ok and as is our tv. Before I phone customer services from my mobile and get charged a fortune, is there anything else I can check at my end? Or is anybody aware of any problems in M33?

Thank you!

on in an hour!
17-06-2009, 20:08
have you tried another phone in the socket with all other phones unplugged?? if you feel confident and know which is the master socket you could try unscrewing the small faceplate at the front and bottom of the socket.be careful as you pull it off as there could be wires connected to the back of it.

when the faceplate is off you will see a port to plug your phone into,this will test the 'bare' line coming into your property from VM's network,make sure you know the phone youre going to use is a worker by testing in a neighbours/friends/familys socket first.if its still dead its VM's responsibility,if its live youve narrowed it down to either the extension wiring or the faceplate at fault.;)

Dougie
17-06-2009, 20:50
thank you for your response, however we only have one phone so it's not a connection problem to any extension sockets. The phone was working at 5 o'clock this evening so find it hard to believe that it's a wiring problem within the house.

How do you contact the helpdesk if your phone isn't working :confused:

on in an hour!
17-06-2009, 20:52
thank you for your response, however we only have one phone so it's not a connection problem to any extension sockets. The phone was working at 5 o'clock this evening so find it hard to believe that it's a wiring problem within the house.

any friendly neighbours on VM phone??

Dougie
17-06-2009, 20:56
That was my plan of action for the morning either that or phone the helpdesk from work!

on in an hour!
17-06-2009, 21:03
best bet..at least you can be sure its down to VM as their responsibility is any cabling from outside of property up to and including the master socket,as long as youve tested your phone in a known working socket.dont forget they have appointment times for between 4-7pm on weekdays and on saturdays so hopefully you wont have to take any time off work ;)

dave_dph
18-06-2009, 07:14

Use virginmedia newsgroup support.

Raise the issue in virginmedia.support.telephony using your email alias - the part before the @ symbol in your blueyonder or ntl email address. Support will post back within the thread and arrange an engineer visit for you.

If you do not currently use newsgroups there is a guide to setting up here:

http://www.virginmedia.com/myvirginmedia/newsgroups/setting-up-outlook-express-exntl.php

Much easier than telephoning someone abroad.