PDA

View Full Version : Is wiring to blame for loss of cable services?

freddo
17-06-2009, 19:04
Hi, i have been having intermitant trouble with the Internet and On Demand services. I have lost both of these independantly and together over the last 5 days (install 6 days ago). When there's a signal everything works very well.

Earlier today my internet went down. This morning i was getting Downstream receive power levels hovering around -15.8 dBmV and then it went down soon after. The On Demand was still working. I made sure all the connectors were sound on the modem and the internet eventually came back. I quickly took a reading at it was hovering around -18.8 dBmV.

I then went round the back of the TV and had a fiddle with the wires. I noticed that when you move the cable wires that come out of the Virgin box and both cables at the splitter the picture freezes and crackles, it's like the wires haven't been installed properly. I then went back to take a reading and the downstream power levels were fine at around 6.6 dBmV but the On Demand service is down and the on line light is flashing on the V+ Box.

Could all my troubles be down to the shoddy cable install or faulty connectors that fail when the cable is moved slightly?

I have a tech coming round tomorrow morning, any advice on what to ask other than the story above would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Peter_
17-06-2009, 19:08
Post what modem you have and your power levels from your config pages of your modem. The should be a sticker on the bottom saying what model.

If using an Ambit modem please click here
http://root:root@192.168.100.1/CmOpConfig.asp

If using any other modem click here
http://192.168.100.1/

What I want you to post is the Downstream power levels including the SNR and the Upstream power levels for me thanks.

DO NOT POST YOUR MAC ADDRESS OR SERIAL NUMBER

freddo
17-06-2009, 19:16
My internet is working now. The V+ Box just reset itself and the On Line light is no longer flashing. The modem is an Ambit 256.

Downstream Receive Power Level : 6.7 dBmV (Had been around -18 dBmV before i fiddled with wires)

Downstream SNR : 39.5 dB
Upstream transmit Power Level : 42.0 dBmV

Thanks for your help.

on in an hour!
17-06-2009, 20:25
My internet is working now. The V+ Box just reset itself and the On Line light is no longer flashing. The modem is an Ambit 256.

Downstream Receive Power Level : 6.7 dBmV (Had been around -18 dBmV before i fiddled with wires)

Downstream SNR : 39.5 dB
Upstream transmit Power Level : 42.0 dBmV

Thanks for your help.
sounds like all you need to do is nip up the connectors with some pliers and your problems will be over!! ;)

Peter_
17-06-2009, 20:28
sounds like all you need to do is nip up the connectors with some pliers and your problems will be over!! ;)
Sounds about right, do as the professional says and post back.

freddo
17-06-2009, 23:33
Sorry guys if this sounds ignorant but what do you mean by 'nip up the connectors'.

Thanks.

Peter_
17-06-2009, 23:36
Sorry guys if this sounds ignorant but what do you mean by 'nip up the connectors'.

Thanks.
As in tighten up with pliers or a small spanner the white coax on the back of the modem and the STB and the splitter.

freddo
17-06-2009, 23:51
Ahhh OK, i thought you wanted me the start cutting wires...got worried a bit there. They seem tight already but will mention it to the Tech tomorrow when he's round.

Thanks, i'll post the outcome asap.

freddo
18-06-2009, 13:11
OK...the Virgin tech guy came round this morning. All my services were on line and working fine before he arrived. I told him about the wiring connections and he promptly had a look and said the cable lead had to be changed as it was faulty (something to do with exposed wires in the connector). He left me the wire to despose of (always a good sign). He said it could be this that caused the problems but it could be something else also.

At least now if it happens again we know it's not the wiring, plus it needed to be changed anyway. The guy that came round was really helpfull, knowledgable and explained everything he was doing unlike the original install team. He even gave us his mobile number so that we could contact him directly should the problem occur again and not have to go through the dreaded 151 route. This guy's a real asset to the Virgin team, like the guys on this forum that work for Virgin.

on in an hour!
18-06-2009, 20:36
he will also be gettin a severe *******ing if TPTB find out hes left his No!!! :(

Peter_
18-06-2009, 20:44
he will also be gettin a severe *******ing if TPTB find out hes left his No!!! :(
I hear that many techs leave a mobile number but they can never be contacted:D

on in an hour!
18-06-2009, 20:49
this is so,but on our 1-2-1's this week we have all had to sign a disclaimer to say that under no circumstances will we leave our No after a fault/install visit.

apparently a sub on an NPS call mentioned that the installer had left his mobile and the sub said how helpful this was,the problem with doing this is that it masks the No of ELF's on installs (early life failures) and repeats on fault calls thereby giving OFCOM a false representative figure of said problems..in short,its a BIG BIG NO NO as of now!! :(