PDA

View Full Version : Car Warranty

broadbandking
16-06-2009, 15:54
Ok I brought a car 3 months ago and I have had loads of issues, the ABS sensor went and got that fixed on warrenty but the garage told me the drive shaft was worn and needs to be replaced but they warrenty won't cover so I throught ok fair enough so I went off and found another garage to do it cheaper, now the fun started, the bloke at the garage told me take it back to where you got it from its there problem, so I went down and they said ok sure we will have a look, now my warrenty was up in 2 days but they was aware if the problem and now because they have seen my warrenty is up when I took it in they wont fix it.

So in short they was aware and booked the car in whilst it was still in warrenty but they won't fix as they got it when the warrenty had finished.

Any ideas on what route I should take?
Am I in the wrong?

AndyCambs
16-06-2009, 16:14
Just out of interest, was this a new, or used car, and was it bought from a garage or private sale?

broadbandking
16-06-2009, 16:17
It was a used car and from a small private garage.

AndyCambs
16-06-2009, 16:24
I would still have thought it would come under Sales of Goods - in which case you would expect it to be merchantable quality, and last a reasonable time.
I suppose the garage is going to say it's a used car, and therefore will have wear and tear - but they give a "reasonable" warranty.
The crux is - is the wear and tear and costs associated with it "reasonable" given that it's a second hand car?

Pop down to your local friendly Citizens Advice and see what their thoughts are.

joglynne
16-06-2009, 16:46
As well as the Citizens Advice, unless the Drive shaft was specifically excluded from the Warranty, in which case you are scuppered, I'm wondering if it would be it would be worth contacting Trading Standards to see if there are any issues already known about the garage you bought your car from.

I don't suppose you have it in writing from the garage that your drive shaft needed sorting or the date they took the car in this time because it's going to be hard to prove that they knowingly delayed working on the car until the warranty expired even if it is covered.

Do you belong to the RAC as I know they have a Legal Advise Team that could help you see where you stand legally? I'm not sure about any of the other motoring organisations but it would be worth checking if you belong to one of them.

Aragorn
16-06-2009, 16:51
Were you aware it was out of warranty on the date you booked it in and who suggested the date?
Quite a tricky one - as they are a small dealer they will probably be unable to reclaim the cost off the warranty company so if they accommodate you they will be out of pocket.
What is the problem the isn't covered - the drive shaft they didn't want to fix anyway?

broadbandking
16-06-2009, 16:55
They did say that it was covered by the warrenty but when they looked at it which was yesterday they said because its not in warrenty they won't fix it.

---------- Post added at 16:55 ---------- Previous post was at 16:52 ----------

When I booked it in the car was in warrenty but when they had it in it wasn't in warrenty, they offered for me to take it in saturday but I need the car Sunday so took it in the afternoon on Sunday

AndyCambs
16-06-2009, 16:58
You could do what I saw someone else do the other week - park your car outside the showroom with a large placard on it... (only kidding!)

What costs are you talking about?

When I booked it in the car was in warrenty but when they had it in it wasn't in warrenty, they offered for me to take it in saturday but I need the car Sunday so took it in the afternoon on Sunday
My suspicion is that they're going to say you decided to take the car in after the warranty had expired.

joglynne
16-06-2009, 17:07
Correct me if I misunderstood your original post broadbandking but wasn't it this garage that identified the problem in the first place?

I can't believe that having originally said the work would not be covered by the warranty they gave you they can now claim that they were not responsible for your delay in their fixing the drive shaft in the first place. Had they not misled you to start with they would have had ample time to do the work.

broadbandking
16-06-2009, 17:26
It was another garage that did the ABS sensor, I am so annoyed.

joglynne
16-06-2009, 17:30
:( bummer.

Xaccers
16-06-2009, 17:35
It was another garage that did the ABS sensor, I am so annoyed.

Just to clarify, did you inform the garage you bought the car from about the drive shaft before the warranty ran out?

joglynne
16-06-2009, 17:44
They did say that it was covered by the warrenty but when they looked at it which was yesterday they said because its not in warrenty they won't fix it.

---------- Post added at 16:55 ---------- Previous post was at 16:52 ----------

Good point Xaccers. I am sure that will be an crucial point. It would be interesting to know how the law would see an advanced claim under the warranty.

broadbandking
16-06-2009, 17:55
I informed the garage on the tuesday of the issue and the warrenty ran out on the thursday

superbiatch
16-06-2009, 17:58
I informed the garage on the tuesday of the issue and the warrenty ran out on the thursday

I think you've got grounds for a complaint. Go on that website I sent you and post it there. The problems you're having are firstly all too common and you might find that even if your warranty which just ran out won't pay up, Renault Customer Services might. What year and model is it?

broadbandking
16-06-2009, 17:59
2004 53 plate and its a clio 1.2 16v

superbiatch
16-06-2009, 18:02
2004 53 plate and its a clio 1.2 16v

While you're on there read the thread about the bonnet catches too in that case ;)

broadbandking
16-06-2009, 18:13
I really wish I hadn't brought the dam thing now.

superbiatch
16-06-2009, 18:15
I really wish I hadn't brought the dam thing now.

Its not that bad, those are three major problems with your type of car. Now if you wanted a real dog of a car you'd have bought a Megane Coupe like me :dozey:

broadbandking
17-06-2009, 18:18
Does anyone know if the drive shaft is classes as wear and tear?

superbiatch
17-06-2009, 18:20
Does anyone know if the drive shaft is classes as wear and tear?

Not sure if its classed as wear and tear, but i can tell you they very often need replacing on Renaults (mine needed replacing too on my Meggy). Who is your warranty with?

broadbandking
17-06-2009, 19:01
auto protect, I contact conusmer direct and they said if its not wear and tear the company I brought it from have to fix it free

superbiatch
17-06-2009, 19:54
auto protect, I contact conusmer direct and they said if its not wear and tear the company I brought it from have to fix it free

OK, i asked your question on a car forum and was advised to tell you to get in touch with auto direct. They will need to know how many miles are on it and will ask you some questions about your driving styles etc to determine if it will be honoured or if it falls under the old 'get-out' clause of wear and tear.

broadbandking
17-06-2009, 20:03
thank you your been sooooo much help *BIG HUG*

Peter_
17-06-2009, 20:10
thank you your been sooooo much help *BIG HUG*
Are you trying to get Gary L jealous:D

Deathmaker
17-06-2009, 20:28
Wear & tear items are usually things like clutch plates, brake discs/pads, exhausts, tyres, and sometimes shock absorbers & springs. I would say wheel bearings would be classed as part of the drive train, and so should be covered.

As you reported the problem within the warranty period, they should honour it and fix the problem regardless of when they got around to looking at the car. For example, my warranty expired early November. In late October I'd reported a rattle & thud upon taking up drive at the clutch biting point, they booked the car in mid November & replaced the engine mounts which didn't solve the problem. They had the car back in January and replaced the exhaust flexi-joints on the manifolds, symptoms remained. In March they replaced the dual mass flywheel & clutch. Basically, they carried out a couple of grands worth of work outside the warranty period because the symptoms, not even the actual fault, were reported within the warranty period.

I hope you get to the bottom of this, I've heard many stories of aftermarket warranty companies turning deaf, dumb & ignorant when it comes to coughing up, especially at the end of the warranty's life.

Kick up a stink, get all the legal advice you can and good luck! http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/images/icons/icon14.gif

alferret
18-06-2009, 17:53
Having a bit of trouble getting my head around this, you say the drive shaft is worn, how can a drive shaft wear out? I can understand if the drive shaft bearings have become worn (have had this happen to me) or the universal joint is worn or gators and seals associated with the shaft but the shaft its self worn is the weird bit (unless I have missed something mentioned in this thread)

Unless of course something has come adrift on the underside of the car and has been resting on the drive shaft and cause it to wear and if so then I would say that the onus is on the garage that sold you the car in the first place as they havnt inspected it properly.