PDA

View Full Version : Server Not found (after new Modem)

Chris14
15-06-2009, 13:46
I have M cable broadband through a wired router with 3 PCs connected (all using the internet very lightly). This has all worked perfectly for 3 years.

Last week the cable modem was replaced (after I complained the broadband was intermittently going VERY slow). The router and PCs were not touched.

Now 2 of the PCs are still OK, but one of them gets SERVER NOT FOUND errors occasionally. eg. trying to check email.
But wait a few seconds and try again, it is OK again. I've checked the cables are plugged in tightly.

Doing a continuous ping on that PC for an hour shows 3% lost packets.

I would have thought that the router would "isolate" the PCs from the cable modem, so that even if the modem is different in some aspects, it would not affect the PCs?

All PCs are running WinXP pro.

Any idea why just one of the PCs is having this intermittent problem since the modem was changed??

Welshchris
15-06-2009, 18:28
first of all have u activated the new modem with them??

Secondly try this...

Switch off both modem and router... and leave for about 30 secs.

Plug router back in and leave it for around a min to sort itself out and then do the same with the modem and see if it works

Chris14
15-06-2009, 18:48
Thanks for the suggestion, but please read the question again.

I have 3 PCs on the router. Two of them work perfectly. The other one works 97% of the time.

Before the new modem all three worked perfectly. I am asking what could be affecting this one PC.

moaningmags
15-06-2009, 19:02
Have you tried a simple reset of the browser?

When you get server not found, is that pc still able to ping?
Does it keep its IP address or revert to a 169ip addy?

Chris14
15-06-2009, 19:51
Yes, PCs (and Modem & router) been rebooted several times during the past few days since the problem started.

If that PC is set to ping continuously, then when the "problem" occurs it cannot ping. eg. I left it to ping for an hour. The stats showed 3% of packets lost. I could not see any pattern in the results. eg. it worked OK for 15 minutes then the ping failed for 6 times in a row, then it was OK again for a while. (The other PCs were not doing anything during this time -- oops, unless some background prog kicked in)