PDA

View Full Version : Argh 20MB down to 2MB. NOT STM'd

BenRichards
15-06-2009, 10:15
Here's my story

Moved into a new house last August and had VM installed in October. The property didn't have cable in it before so all new cable was run from the pavement to my house.

Originally on 10MB with an Ambit 256 modem. No problems at all. Speed was a constent 10MB apart from when i was traffic managed but all was ok.

About a month ago i decided to jump up to 20MB so rang CS and got it all sorted out. Rebooted the modem and got the 20MB config file and all was great.

20MB (or near enough) speeds lasted for about 10 days then gradually degraded. I'm now running the line at roughly 2 mbps.

I called up VM and an engineer visited my house on Saturday. He did the following.

Modem signal Levels - All ok
Changed something in the cab - Dunno what
Replaced modem with a new one - Again ambit 256
Checked all cable connections - again all ok

I had my mac plugged directly into the modem so there was no wireless involved. He used the Virgin media 50MB speed test site which started with http://80. something but its password protected. First speed test he did got an average of 15mpbs down. 2nd one about 10 minutes later was 2.1mpbs down. All subsequent tests were lower than 5mbps.

He then used his XP laptop to rule out my machine. Once IE7 was up It took about 5 minutes just to load the page where the speed test is located. Once it loaded up the speed test reported 19.8 mpbs down - go figure.

Anyway, he was a really nice chap but he could'nt fix it. Its now been passed onto the network department apparently who will monitor the connection.

Does anyone know what happens next? Will someone be in touch with me or do I need to call back? How long should i leave it if i have to call them?

There were no issues in my area at the time and the slow speeds are constant all throughout the day and night. Upstream is ok and averages at about 0.75kpbs up

Hazanko
15-06-2009, 11:26
At least the Engineer checked it with a Laptop. I'm still trying to catch it when it's low so they can check it. I am on 20mb too and it started a month ago. I've been with Blueyonder/VM for years and not had a single fault. The fault started when the 50mb upgrade happened in the area. I'm sure it has something to do with that. I think the 50mb has screwed alot of customers. I would keep calling them or they will probably not bother.

broadbandking
15-06-2009, 13:29
PM me your postcode

BenRichards
15-06-2009, 15:15
PM'd

Thanks

---------- Post added at 15:15 ---------- Previous post was at 14:36 ----------

Thanks Broadbandking,

Does anyone know what time of day I can call VM and speak to an english call center?

I'm going to give this a few more days and if it isnt sorted then i'm going to go back to 10meg. At least that was stable.

Peter_
15-06-2009, 18:41
PM'd

Thanks

---------- Post added at 15:15 ---------- Previous post was at 14:36 ----------

Thanks Broadbandking,

Does anyone know what time of day I can call VM and speak to an english call center?

I'm going to give this a few more days and if it isnt sorted then i'm going to go back to 10meg. At least that was stable.
After 0800 Monday to Saturday.