PDA

View Full Version : Flies, Bees, Wasps, Ants

iFrankie
14-06-2009, 18:37
summer is here! and these little buggers are driving me insane, flies keep colliding with my head and keep knocking me out (joke) i sit in the garden ants are crawling up my legs, bees and wasps make me run a mile, now tell me why do we like summer so much? :(

papa smurf
14-06-2009, 18:46
the good news is while there crawling all over you there leaving me alone;)

iFrankie
14-06-2009, 18:48
the good news is while there crawling all over you there leaving me alone;)

just wait, they will find a way, they always do -_- haha

Taf
14-06-2009, 18:58
Some odd insects out there this year that I have never seen before...a slim black "fly" with a bright orange abdomen :dunce:

Not seen a single ladybird, but loads of shield bugs, green aphids, purple aphids, blackfly.. and just ONE wasp!

iFrankie
14-06-2009, 19:04
Some odd insects out there this year that I have never seen before...a slim black "fly" with a bright orange abdomen :dunce:

Not seen a single ladybird, but loads of shield bugs, green aphids, purple aphids, blackfly.. and just ONE wasp!

its like we live on a different planet, i never knew we had all these insects. i havnt seen a lady bird yet either not even a butterfly!

Maggy
14-06-2009, 19:14
Better be keeping an eye out for Painted Lady butterflies.

http://www.butterfly-conservation.org/article/9/100/butterfly_migration_is_biggest_for_years.html

Butterfly Conservation has been receiving reports since the start of the Bank Holiday weekend of sightings of large numbers of these butterflies. People throughout Britain have seen these fast-flying butterflies moving overhead for hours on end, setting the scene for what could be one of the largest Painted Lady migrations in decades.The first indication of their arrival in Britain came last Thursday (May 21) when Butterfly Conservation members first reported seeing large numbers off Portland Bill in Dorset. Since then, thousands have been seen flying north at locations across southern England, from Cornwall to East Anglia.

I haven't seen any myself..:erm:

joglynne
14-06-2009, 19:21
No ladybirds about but we have noticed quite a few Painted Lady butterflies over the last few days. Very nice to see them to. :)

iFrankie
14-06-2009, 19:30
Better be keeping an eye out for Painted Lady butterflies.

http://www.butterfly-conservation.org/article/9/100/butterfly_migration_is_biggest_for_years.html

I haven't seen any myself..:erm:

oh id love to see one of them.

lucy7
14-06-2009, 19:35
We have an area near us that we are doing a butterfly report on.

soup dragon
14-06-2009, 19:40

Saw loads of those black/orange things today on golf course and a few ladybirds

Tinky
14-06-2009, 21:03
Have you noticed a distinct decline in wasps and bees this year? I am led to believe that bees in particular are having a hard time of it, being attacked by a tiny mites which have devastated their numbers. However don't know what it is about me, something in my skin perhaps, but I seem to be a magnet for every biting stinging insect within a ten mile radius. As I speak, I can feel lumps on my scalp from midge bites. Ants are something else, but then I just zap them with the powder.:erm:

Paul
14-06-2009, 21:15
The really cold freezes we had over winter will have killed quite a few queen wasps.

Its also a bit early in the year to be seeing many, nests will not be very big yet, most wasps are seen later in the year (July, August).

iFrankie
14-06-2009, 23:00
can i ask something, when do spider usually come out?

Peter_
14-06-2009, 23:04
can i ask something, when do spider usually come out?
Depends what kind of club they frequent.:D

iFrankie
14-06-2009, 23:18
Depends what kind of club they frequent.:D

if i knew what that meant id have a valid answer haha

Peter_
14-06-2009, 23:22
if i knew what that meant id have a valid answer haha
For them to come out to their friends;):D

iFrankie
14-06-2009, 23:33
For them to come out to their friends;):D

haha i still dont understand! are you saying im a spider and they only come out to see me?? :dunce:

Peter_
14-06-2009, 23:43
haha i still dont understand! are you saying im a spider and they only come out to see me?? :dunce:
Come out of the closet Frankie:p: gawd you are slow tonight.

iFrankie
14-06-2009, 23:49
Come out of the closet Frankie:p: gawd you are slow tonight.

haha the closet never existed! :D i am awfully slow tonight :(

Druchii
15-06-2009, 10:24
I *really* hate wasps: When I was a kid I had one land on me and my mother said sit still and it won't sting you, so I sat still and the bugger still stang me. This happened twice so Now I have a phobia about them. As for hornets.. AAAAGGGHHH!!!!!
I once got too close to a wasps nest... I didn't know this at the time however.
Ended up with 28 wasp stings that day.

My sister ended up with around 15-20 as well.

iFrankie
15-06-2009, 11:12
I once got too close to a wasps nest... I didn't know this at the time however.
Ended up with 28 wasp stings that day.

My sister ended up with around 15-20 as well.

oh that really must of hurt did you have to go the ozzie or anything?. one day when i was a kid i walked to the corner shop and walked str8 into a wasp and it hit the corner of my eye totally killed.

---------- Post added at 10:12 ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 ----------

I *really* hate wasps: When I was a kid I had one land on me and my mother said sit still and it won't sting you, so I sat still and the bugger still stang me. This happened twice so Now I have a phobia about them. As for hornets.. AAAAGGGHHH!!!!!

are hornets the ones that dont sting?

Taf
15-06-2009, 11:31
Oriental Hornets have been slowly moving north from southern France... thse are around 7cm long!!!

iFrankie
15-06-2009, 11:37
Oriental Hornets have been slowly moving north from southern France... thse are around 7cm long!!!

just saw a pic and they look more terrifing than wasps and bees :dozey:

Chris
15-06-2009, 11:42

The European hornet has a nastier sting than our common British wasp. Are you thinking of the harmless hoverfly, which has disguised itself as a wasp to deter predators but doesn't have a sting?

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/06/51.jpg

Taf
15-06-2009, 11:48
just saw a pic and they look more terrifing than wasps and bees :dozey:

On holiday in France we had several Oriental Hornets caught in standard flypaper... awfully sticky stuff... but they all freed themselves!!! :shocked: They actually seemed very agressive, battering against the windows to get in even when we turned off the lights at night!!

Maggy
15-06-2009, 12:07
I don't recommend sitting on a wasp..:erm:

iFrankie
15-06-2009, 12:11
The European hornet has a nastier sting than our common British wasp. Are you thinking of the harmless hoverfly, which has disguised itself as a wasp to deter predators but doesn't have a sting?

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/06/51.jpg

ooh horrible little things

---------- Post added at 11:11 ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 ----------

ouch ouch OUUUCCCH! :(

Nugget
15-06-2009, 12:23

I sat on a bee once when I was a kid - didn't do either of us a lot of good. It was only about 2 weeks later that I got stung several times by a hornet in the thigh - the nasty little sod just kept coming. I could hardly walk for about a week :shocked:

Mind you, one of the cats flattened a moth on Saturday and then, while I was walking the shop, a fly flew straight into my mouth and I swallowed it - I'm all for protein in the diet, but that one really wasn't tasty :sick:

Taf
15-06-2009, 12:24
In Cyprus, a mate of mine was riding a motorbike at speed when a wasp-thingie flew up the leg of his shorts... the accident was very painfull

AntiSilence
15-06-2009, 12:37
summer is here! and these little buggers are driving me insane, flies keep colliding with my head and keep knocking me out (joke) i sit in the garden ants are crawling up my legs, bees and wasps make me run a mile, now tell me why do we like summer so much? :(

I get a few flies in the head while cycling to/from work this time of year. Not so bad, except when you swallow them :erm:

iFrankie
15-06-2009, 12:41
I get a few flies in the head while cycling to/from work this time of year. Not so bad, except when you swallow them :erm:

haha thats never happened to me........ yet! lol

Druchii
15-06-2009, 12:43
oh that really must of hurt did you have to go the ozzie or anything?. one day when i was a kid i walked to the corner shop and walked str8 into a wasp and it hit the corner of my eye totally killed.

---------- Post added at 10:12 ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 ----------

Nope, didn't go anywhere, just put vinegar on the stings and left them.

AntiSilence
15-06-2009, 13:03
haha thats never happened to me........ yet! lol

Had that a couple of times. Not too nice. Just glad I always keep fresh water in my bottle. lol.

I also nearly got hit by what can only be described as a golf ball of a bumble bee last summer lol.

joglynne
15-06-2009, 15:36
Not seen any of the lovely big bumble bees this year. We seem to have loads of really tiny ones though. I thought that they were flies until I have a closes look. We have a climbing hydrangea that was positively covered in them last week.

Taf
15-06-2009, 16:36

http://www.ridersroost.com/Roost%20Pics/biker.jpg

AntiSilence
15-06-2009, 18:18

Ewwwww lol

Taf
15-06-2009, 21:37
Just found a female Cockchafer in the garden... the missus ran a mile!

iFrankie
15-06-2009, 21:41

oh good lord, and while i was eating my shepherds pie, you should be ashamed of yaself ;)

Peter_
15-06-2009, 21:49
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/06/44.jpg

Plate full of buttery ant pupae on a biscuit...........MMMMMMMMMMM

superbiatch
15-06-2009, 21:52
its like we live on a different planet, i never knew we had all these insects. i havnt seen a lady bird yet either not even a butterfly!

Get yourself over to Sherdley Park, I was swarmed by them a few days back on my lunch break :D

joglynne
15-06-2009, 22:05
Just found a female Cockchafer in the garden... the missus ran a mile!

Apologies for going off topic but the name of the cockchafer always makes me giggle and in the research I have been doing recently into wildlife using camouflage I came across the marvelously named Australian goatsucking tawny frogmouth bird (http://www.pbase.com/cynthia1/image/113068151) which I understand is very good at keeping the creepy crawlies under control.

iFrankie
15-06-2009, 22:10
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/06/44.jpg

Plate full of buttery ant pupae on a biscuit...........MMMMMMMMMMM

---------- Post added at 21:10 ---------- Previous post was at 21:09 ----------

Get yourself over to Sherdley Park, I was swarmed by them a few days back on my lunch break :D

ooohh i havnt been sherdley park in ages, when is the show on?

superbiatch
15-06-2009, 22:17
ooohh i havnt been sherdley park in ages, when is the show on?

I think its on in a few weeks, was supposed to be working it but think I've got out of it ;)

iFrankie
16-06-2009, 13:51
fan bloody tastic haha

Some 20,000 bees are set to be released into the Royal Botanic Gardens at Kew in an effort to halt the dramatic fall in the insects' numbers in Britain.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Bee-Boost-20000-Insects-To-Be-Released-At-The-Royal-Botanical-Gardens-At-Kew/Article/200906315307024?lpos=UK_News_Second_Home_Page_Arti cle_Teaser_Region_9&lid=ARTICLE_15307024_Bee_Boost%3A_20%2C000_Insects _To_Be_Released_At_The_Royal_Botanical_Gardens_At_ Kew

Druchii
16-06-2009, 13:53
Speaking of bee's, had one this morning who managed to appear on the inside of our windows, flying at them to get out...

The whole house had been sealed up since yesterday at about 8pm.
The only way in before that was by resting on our Laundry as we got back from the Laundry-place thingy.
Odd.

iFrankie
16-06-2009, 14:14
Speaking of bee's, had one this morning who managed to appear on the inside of our windows, flying at them to get out...

The whole house had been sealed up since yesterday at about 8pm.
The only way in before that was by resting on our Laundry as we got back from the Laundry-place thingy.
Odd.

oh god, did it manage to get out?

Druchii
16-06-2009, 14:24
oh god, did it manage to get out?
Yeah, i opened the window for it :)
It was sat on the sill cleaning itself.

iFrankie
17-06-2009, 20:28
thank god for the rain today i aint seen 1 fly nor ant today! haha

Maggy
17-06-2009, 20:37
I've just seen two adult robins having apoplexy in my garden.They weren't fighting and they weren't mating.I guess they had youngsters learning to fly.I guess that black cat that wandered through earlier must have been hanging about still.

I've never heard a robin sound like that before.It would make a very good alarm sound it was sooo annoying.:erm:

Peter_
17-06-2009, 20:38
I've just seen two adult robins having apoplexy in my garden.They weren't fighting and they weren't mating.I guess they had youngsters learning to fly.I guess that black cat that wandered through earlier must have been hanging about still.

I've never heard a robin sound like that before.It would make a very good alarm sound it was sooo annoying.:erm:
I bet they were trying to decide who was cock robin.Download Failed (1) (http://www.smileyshut.com/Smileys/Smiley-Huts-Free-Laughing-Smileys.html)

iFrankie
21-05-2010, 14:30
Well well well, its that time of year again and i am not happy with the ants.

Taf
21-05-2010, 15:39
Send them to bed with no supper!

iFrankie
21-05-2010, 16:44
Send them to bed with no supper!

They won't last till supper haha, i can't stand ants.

speedfreak
21-05-2010, 16:46
i can't stand ants.

I dont see why :confused: :p: heres a pic to brighten up your day frankie

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/05/108.jpg

Maggy
21-05-2010, 16:56
Well well well, its that time of year again and i am not happy with the ants.

Well then make sure you leave no sugar or jam,treacle,honey or other sugary substances around open and inviting else you WILL have ants in your pantry if not your pants...

If it's flying ants then they aren't around for long..

iFrankie
21-05-2010, 17:12
Well then make sure you leave no sugar or jam,treacle,honey or other sugary substances around open and inviting else you WILL have ants in your pantry if not your pants...

If it's flying ants then they aren't around for long..

Its always at the back door, we have it open all the time now because of the weather, hot water and bleach should solve the problem, no flying ants yet but give it time :mad:

---------- Post added at 16:08 ---------- Previous post was at 16:07 ----------

I dont see why :confused: :p: heres a pic to brighten up your day frankie

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/05/108.jpg

:sleep:

---------- Post added at 16:12 ---------- Previous post was at 16:08 ----------

else you WILL have ants in your pantry if not your pants...

Or ants in my hair :shocked: :D

speedfreak
21-05-2010, 18:01
So you have an issue with an itchy scalp and ants round your back door? Good God you are infested! :D

Im lay sunbathing on the grass, no nasty insects here just the birds singin, happy days

budwieser
22-05-2010, 16:04
So you have an issue with an itchy scalp and ants round your back door? Good God you are infested! :D

Im lay sunbathing on the grass, no nasty insects here just the birds singin, happy days

" So you have an issue with an itchy scalp and ants round your back door? Good God you are infested! :D" :D Lol.

speedfreak
22-05-2010, 16:51
" So you have an issue with an itchy scalp and ants round your back door? Good God you are infested! :D" :D Lol.

:D Glad you understood it :D

Frankie, I might be talking rubbish but my garden has loads of birds around it and I dont see any annoying flying stinging things, go out and buy a bird table and see if things improve :)

iFrankie
22-05-2010, 16:53
:D Glad you understood it :D

Frankie, I might be talking rubbish but my garden has loads of birds around it and I dont see any annoying flying stinging things, go out and buy a bird table and see if things improve :)

I think i understood it but im not suuuure, i don't wanna say something that may make me look slow :shocked:

iFrankie
25-06-2010, 20:49
Now we have a Bee nest at the bottom of the garden, i don't wanna try and kill them because they will probably chase and sting me to death, what should we do, just wait for them to go?

Kymmy
25-06-2010, 21:09
So you want to kill something that's in decline??? :(

Try the local RSPCA and ask them if they have a solution, a lot of beekeepers will be happy to remove a bees nest and keep it for themselves

iFrankie
25-06-2010, 21:12
So you want to kill something that's in decline??? :(

Try the local RSPCA and ask them if they have a solution, a lot of beekeepers will be happy to remove a bees nest and keep it for themselves

Maybe a bad choice of words, but they are just so annoying, i didn't know you could ring the RSPCA up and they would sort it out.

Thanks Kymmy :D

joglynne
25-06-2010, 21:52
The Bee Keepers Association has a useful section that may be of use to you Frankie.

http://www.britishbee.org.uk/swarm_help.php

Kymmy
25-06-2010, 22:29
Maybe a bad choice of words, but they are just so annoying, i didn't know you could ring the RSPCA up and they would sort it out.

Thanks Kymmy :D

I didn't say the RSPCA would sort it out, what I was suggesting is that bee keepers are currently on the look-out for new colonies (especially with the declining population) and I know that in some areas the RSPCA keep details of how to contact these bee keepers. Most bee keepers would be happy to come and relocate the nest into thier own hives ;)