PDA

View Full Version : 50mb USENET Problem

Dirtymurt
13-06-2009, 11:12
I recently upgraded to 50meg and must say I am bitterly disappointed. I am using Newsdemon and sometimes switch to Giganews (although more expensive) for my USENET needs.

I get, using giganews or SABnzbd the full 50meg download speeed for about 5 minutes. Then I get throttled down to 5meg. If I go into settings and change the port or change the server it goes back up for a few minutes before hitting the wall again and dropping to 5 meg.

there is no way this is some sort of anomly, VM are throttling the usenet users service.

I am furious as the average speed I now get is worse than my 20mb connection with the eveneing shaping.

anyone else seeing this problem?

DigitalShadow
13-06-2009, 12:53
is there not a program that will cycle the port?

Dirtymurt
13-06-2009, 13:23
that would be a good solution, anyone know if this can be done. it would be a nice addition to newsleecher or sabnzbd

Jazz
13-06-2009, 13:33
Yes my Usenet speeds are ropey at best, I don't get throttled down to 5MB but I rarely get the full speed. If I download from the web or from rapidshare I can max my line out but on the 50mb my speeds seem to vary from 10mb-35mb. Was on Astraweb and was even getting many incomplete files so I set up a Giganews trial when I use it does seem to boost it up a little bit and fill my incomplete files but still can't get full speed.

I thought it might of been a problem with my connection but either newsgroups aren't providing the full speed (not so sure about that) or Virgin are playing around. I haven't tried changing my ports if I'm being honest so will try that. Had an engineer around and he put the power levels down on my modem (they were around 9.9 now about 4.4) and that seemed to help a bit as I could barely get 20mb before whereas now I can get around 30ish.

Jabbs
13-06-2009, 13:34
We been using 50m since last Friday and i can't say we had any issues with slow speeds on usenet, we normally getting 5.9mbs can't test now as it appears users are complaining about problems with Astraweb who i use, but i have downloaded at full whack from it with no problems of speeds slowing down.

broadbandking
14-06-2009, 00:59
When I used he 50Mb connection I always got full whack all the time seems to me that some parts of the network can't handle the 50Mb speed on going, this is what you get from a company that rushes a major upgrade.

Dirtymurt
14-06-2009, 10:41
which usenet provider do you guys use?

Jabbs
14-06-2009, 11:54
Something i have noticed i currently use Astraweb and certain news reader programs give better speeds, now i have always used Newsleecher but it just can't seem to give me constant speeds best i have had is 5.8mb/s with regular drops.

I have tried alt-binz(which is free) and this gives me always over 6mb/s and holds a steady speed and the same with the trial of Newsbin Pro this gives me good speeds i would certainly try different readers and see what happens.

EDIT: Now my speeds have dropped like a pile of poo we shall say not even hitting 2mb/s now, this happened yesterday around this time as well, its either a problem with Astraweb( maybe others can confirm what they use and speeds) or is this how 50mb is going to be they are shaping usenet ?, do you still get a cooling off period with a new install because if this is the case i might aswell go back to my rock solid 20mb connection.

I just tried downloading off there blueyounder demo thing and was hitting 5-6mb/s so its either astraweb or they are traffic shaping usenet now.

Dirtymurt
14-06-2009, 12:49
i am going to insist they switch me back, I think i've been installed 2 or 3 weeks

this from the email they sent me

Your new additional service is also covered by our 28 day money back guarantee, so it you're not entirely satisfied with your new service, just give us a call

i will be doing just that

I'm now dropping to 256k/s and when i reset, switch server or even pause then unpause the speed shoots back up. there is something very wrong indeed

silverwolf_uk
14-06-2009, 13:40
EDIT: Now my speeds have dropped like a pile of poo we shall say not even hitting 2mb/s now, this happened yesterday around this time as well, its either a problem with Astraweb( maybe others can confirm what they use and speeds) or is this how 50mb is going to be they are shaping usenet ?, do you still get a cooling off period with a new install because if this is the case i might aswell go back to my rock solid 20mb connection.

I just started with astraweb yesterday and was having a very strange problem with their european secure server. All 20 threads seemed to connect and said they were downloading but, only about 7-10 threads were actually downloading anything. The others were stuck. When one of the active threads finished an article that would then stick and one of the previously stuck ones would start! I also had quite a few 11004 errors and a few max connection for this host reached errors. I switched to their us secure server and all 20 threads connected and started downloading at full wack (20mb service @ approx 2300KB/sec) with no problems what so ever. So it would seem there's a problem with their european server.
If other providers in this thread that people are having trouble with have both euro and us servers I'd suggest trying their us server and see if that helps!

Cheers,
Wolfie.

EDIT: Just re-read Dirtymurts starting post and it seems you tried this already, sorry. Might help others though!?

Jabbs
14-06-2009, 14:36
Its all strange tbh try grabit and my speeds are what i would expect them to be around 6mb/s, put newsleecher/altb-binz/newsbin pro and speeds all over the place.

broadbandking
14-06-2009, 17:21
Its all strange tbh try grabit and my speeds are what i would expect them to be around 6mb/s, put newsleecher/altb-binz/newsbin pro and speeds all over the place.

Grabit and Astraweb never let me down.

Kymmy
14-06-2009, 17:27
I just started with astraweb yesterday and was having a very strange problem with their european secure server. All 20 threads seemed to connect and said they were downloading but, only about 7-10 threads were actually downloading anything. The others were stuck. When one of the active threads finished an article that would then stick and one of the previously stuck ones would start! I also had quite a few 11004 errors and a few max connection for this host reached errors. I switched to their us secure server and all 20 threads connected and started downloading at full wack (20mb service @ approx 2300KB/sec) with no problems what so ever. So it would seem there's a problem with their european server.
If other providers in this thread that people are having trouble with have both euro and us servers I'd suggest trying their us server and see if that helps!

Cheers,
Wolfie.

EDIT: Just re-read Dirtymurts starting post and it seems you tried this already, sorry. Might help others though!?

Actually it's the fact that you;re trying to use all the connections when there's no need to that'll probably be your problem..especially when one stalls it retries creating a 21st connection that then give the too many connections eror and this can stall a few more connections ;)

I use astra-web/newsbin on a 10Mb connection and found that 5 connections on the EU servers is all it takes to max out the connection at 10.3Mb, if I try to use many more I actually get slower speeds as the handshaking takes up more speed.. getting to a point where if I use 20 the speed can be rediculously low..

psyfur
14-06-2009, 18:53
I have been using Astra web and 10mb VG line for a year and max out the connection speed all the time and only get STM if download during peak times. I always get 1.3 mb/s and I use 20 connections.

50 mb has come to be area in Cambridge and I have thought about the upgrade but I hear a lot of complaints and bitchin so I have been put off also the installation and setup charge is day light robbery. :/

silverwolf_uk
14-06-2009, 19:03
Actually it's the fact that you;re trying to use all the connections when there's no need to that'll probably be your problem..especially when one stalls it retries creating a 21st connection that then give the too many connections eror and this can stall a few more connections ;)

I use astra-web/newsbin on a 10Mb connection and found that 5 connections on the EU servers is all it takes to max out the connection at 10.3Mb, if I try to use many more I actually get slower speeds as the handshaking takes up more speed.. getting to a point where if I use 20 the speed can be rediculously low..

I can see where you're coming from with this but, would that not affect the US server as well? Using all 20 connections with the US server gives me no problems at all. You'd think that it would be the other way around as latency to the US servers should be more than to the euro one which should mean a longer handshake & a more likely connection stall. That's what makes me think there may be a problem with astrawebs euro server. Maybe the problem is only affecting certain parts of the virgin media network?

Cheers,
Wolfie.

nemesis01
14-06-2009, 19:24
I have never had any problems with Astraweb, I only use 8 out of 20 connections and it is maxed all the time, I only download during the non-capped hours so I don't get any slowdown. In conjuction with Newsleecher it is a rock solid combo, only on 20mb for now as 50mb is not in my area, but wouldn't get it anyway as it's too expensive for me and I don't download enough to justify it.

My tips would be:

Use less connections as said above
Try Newsleecher
Don't download during capping hours unless it's a small download

Kymmy
14-06-2009, 19:35
I can see where you're coming from with this but, would that not affect the US server as well? Using all 20 connections with the US server gives me no problems at all. You'd think that it would be the other way around as latency to the US servers should be more than to the euro one which should mean a longer handshake & a more likely connection stall. That's what makes me think there may be a problem with astrawebs euro server. Maybe the problem is only affecting certain parts of the virgin media network?

Cheers,
Wolfie.

Had the same with all of the Astra-web servers, I think it's a combination of the ping time and connections used..

Some will find that all the connections work great where others will find that fewr connections is better.

The common rule of thought though is to use the least connections possible to get your maximum through-put as more connections that that are really just increasing the overheads.. Try it and if it helps then great, if it doesn;t at least you've ruled something out

Dirtymurt
14-06-2009, 20:30
a friend of mine was speaking to the guys at newsdemon. Apparently Virgin own the lines of the backbone to the european servers and are actively capping these. I have switched to the US servers and I am still getting the slow down fter a few minutes at fast speed. all very suspect.

Just call VM to cancel my 50mb on the grounds that I am not completely satisfied, and would you belive it, the department i need to speak to is closed.

am i right in thinking that the VM helpdesk is in Mumbai by any chance?

broadbandking
14-06-2009, 23:26
Retentions are closed on Sunday but if you wanted to just downgrade customer services can do this for you.

arthurdollar
15-06-2009, 12:49
Giganews 20 SSL connections (europe,) no speed issues what so ever.
Even when using wifi, and stock router (WRN200).
Using a Mac, with NZBdrop to grab the files.
I'm based in Islington London.
(Haven't tested my vista box yet - not likely to either, as vista is pants)

silverwolf_uk
15-06-2009, 13:59
Had the same with all of the Astra-web servers, I think it's a combination of the ping time and connections used..

Some will find that all the connections work great where others will find that fewr connections is better.

The common rule of thought though is to use the least connections possible to get your maximum through-put as more connections that that are really just increasing the overheads.. Try it and if it helps then great, if it doesn;t at least you've ruled something out

Just tried again today with the euro server and had no issues what so ever. Downloaded at full wack with all 20 connections with no connection errors or slow downs at all. Maybe the servers were very busy when I had problems or they were performing some kind of maintenance or upgrade work.

Cheers,
Wolfie.

Jabbs
15-06-2009, 16:13
I did wonder tbh if Astraweb was good enough to regulary max a 50m line out, wonder if this is one of the downfalls of a cheap usenet provider.

Oh this is why i ignore speed tests in any form to a certain extent, here is a speed test for my 50mb line on the usual one.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/06/36.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

roger_chef
15-06-2009, 19:33
I have found that alt binz and giganews with 5 connections to be the best for my recently installed 50mbit. I had trouble with giganews/grabit/20 connections. I think its best to play around with different connection amounts and different software.
Just did a 15min ish test using DU meter when downloading a few things from giganews...
DU Meter Stopwatch - #1
Start time 15/06/2009 18:14:53
Stop time 15/06/2009 18:30:51
Elapsed time 15 min 58.4 sec
Incoming Outgoing
------------------------------------ ---------------- ----------------
Total of data transferred 5.7 GB 131.8 MB
Maximum transfer rate 79.6 Mbps 8.2 Mbps
Average transfer rate 51.3 Mbps 1.2 Mbps

I think the people moaning do need to have a play with their own setup as everyone seems to be saying different things in different locations!

Im ubr 09 dudl

Jazz
15-06-2009, 21:06
Just tried again and this is what I got below and this is the error message I got.

[19:59:39] Level: ERROR PROTOCOL=Download Engine, SERVER=Astraweb, MSG=DL_SDM - Network Read Failure

For those first few minutes it was going perfectly then the speeds go up and down and I get loads of incomplete files as well.

roger_chef
15-06-2009, 23:37
u sure its not ur dl client??

Jazz
16-06-2009, 00:38
I don't know but I haven't changed anything since I had 20MB and never had a problem and it always maxed my connection out. I'll try something different and report what happens.

[edit]

Tried using alt.binz newsreader as well and that is giving me the same problems, tried the EU servers, non EU servers, all the SSL and non SSL ones as well and same problem.

Dirtymurt
16-06-2009, 23:51
very strange things going on tonight.

tried downloading a film approx 4gb

had 20 connections on us server. went full speed for about 5 mins then dropped to 5meg (476kb/s) ish

changed connections to 8 and managed 30gb for about 5 mins then dropped to 96kb/s awful

decided to up the connections to 99 (max newsleecher lets you) and added a european server with 99 conections. Now been maxing out for 15 minutes. fingers crossed.

not too sure how this is happening, as my hosting provider (demonnews) only provide me with 20 connections.

ANYONE HAVE A CLUE????

gobbledigook
17-06-2009, 00:19
hi!

i was just cruising the forum whilst waiting for some downloads to complete and came across this thread.

i am on 20meg and use astraweb with sabnzbd as a client, i used to use giganewz but with the pound losing value it was uneconomical:)

i would like to reiterate that when using astraweb, their site actually doesn't recommend using all 20 connections, and i had similar issues to those being voiced here when i started, however dropping the number of connections to 10 seemed to iron out the issues and i have just downloaded approx 2.7gb at 18.6mb. i haven't tried the 50meg line yet but by the sounds of it i'm gonna stick with what i have until these issues are sorted.

also, unless you really can't wait for something, schedule your downloads for overnight when the network and servers are a lot less busy and able to give you solid connections.

as for switching ports, you shouldn't have to, but if you wanted to amending the sabnzbd program would be easiest, or even may be achievable using a bash script if your on a linux box, i would inquire over on the sabnzbd forum as to how exactly as i'm no script-monkey!!!

again, reduce the number of connections, simply use the minimum required to max your connection reduces overheads and therefore increases reliability. Finally, bigger isn't always better, less is sometimes more ;)

here endeth the rant!

have fun!

Dirtymurt
17-06-2009, 00:27
thanks for the input gobbbb#';'l##' interesting comments on the bash script, i will pursue that down the line.

like i said above though, droping the connections gave me far worse performance.

I am now dropped to 2.27MB/s (20-25meg) so there appears to be some sort of action going on where each connections is reduced to about 10% or something. IT IS WEIRD, I'm starting to think I am in some trial area. Anyone else in the Wigan area with issues?

GazC
17-06-2009, 23:49
Hello,

Im on 10Mb and im having the same problem tonight... After 5 mins or so my speed drops to a whopping... 26kb/s

I Use ThunderNews, have tried both US and EU servers, tried various connection threads etc etc I use Newsleecher, and this has only started happening tonight

GazC
18-06-2009, 18:03
Just tried again today (without going over the cap) and it is still happening :(

somthing must be going on? surely its not just a coincidence

i will try again tonight after the cap has been lifted

Dirtymurt
18-06-2009, 21:29
somehow, i am being allowed 200+ connections to my news server. Using this method I can get a fairly decent speed 30MB or so.

IT IS EXTREMELY BIZARRE, what are VM up to?

GazC
18-06-2009, 21:31
somehow, i am being allowed 200+ connections to my news server. Using this method I can get a fairly decent speed 30MB or so.

IT IS EXTREMELY BIZARRE, what are VM up to?

30mb constant without dropping after 6mins or so?

roger_chef
18-06-2009, 21:42
still not 50 tho is it? i found this afternoon i maxed out about 32mb. left modem off for 10mins back to normal now....

edit... im using 8 connections, found this to be best for me. 20 killed web browsing... 8 maxs at 50 but still allows decent web browsing speeds

GazC
18-06-2009, 22:44
US and EU Server (Thunder News)
Any Port (563, 80, 81) results in the same thing happening.
I have SSL switched
Problem only started happening last night.
10MB
Northwest (Not In one of the published trial areas)
Wireless Connection

After 5 mins and 7 seconds Without fail, my connection goes from 1.17MB/s to 47-48KB/s

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/06/24.png

5 Mins after this has happened, my speed goes up to 460KB/s - 520KB/s

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/06/25.png https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/06/26.png

5 more mins and it drops again only this time it appears to stay there and not come back up 50KB/s - 51KB/s

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/06/27.png https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/06/28.png

So, lets test if it is my connection. Since im only on a 10MB line (17 mins ish per GB), i have decided to download Cell Factor (Clocking in at 850MB) from http://gamefiles.virginmedia.com/. It will take 16mins to download at 1.1MB/s.

Lets see the results

5 Mins 7 Seconds - Getting weird results, its up n down like a yoyo Lowest 317KBS @ 2.2Mbps - (Download will now complete in 15mins at this speed)
10 Mins - Gone even lower - 1.8Mbps. highest 4.6Mbps
15mins - Back to full speed at 1.1MB/s (2mins remaining at this point)
Download completed at 1.1MB/s

Somthing extreamly weird is going on here and after this test it doesnt appear to be limited to just usenet.

Could anybody elsewho is having trouble with Usenet possibly do what i did to verify my results?

I am stumped now as to why this is happening. The drop doesnt seem to be as drastic as it is for usenet, but its still there

Bonglet
19-06-2009, 00:03
Think its called application throttling

Jabbs
19-06-2009, 00:13
Its deffo application throttling, i can download at 6.1mb/s of certain sites on the internet but soon as i use usenet on astraweb within a short time my speed is killed, and i am getting around 20-30mb speeds, as soon as i stop them and start on the web ones again i get full whack.

Lee
19-06-2009, 11:32
Just wanted to add my 2p..

I've recently got 50meg and use Astraweb. I've noticed i get faster speed using the 'general' (which i assume is US) address, rather than the EU one.

In fact its around 1MB/s faster on the general one.

Using the general address i get a constant 44-49Mbps

broadbandking
19-06-2009, 12:04
Same here when I used 50Mb I was getting that all the time.

Nano Jake
19-06-2009, 13:36
Im on 50Mb and get 6.1mb/s all the time using Astrawebs EU servers. I am in Enfield btw.

Jabbs
19-06-2009, 14:28
Just wanted to add my 2p..

I've recently got 50meg and use Astraweb. I've noticed i get faster speed using the 'general' (which i assume is US) address, rather than the EU one.

In fact its around 1MB/s faster on the general one.

Using the general address i get a constant 44-49Mbps

General Server: news.astraweb.com

Thats not using there SSL server is ssl that important though ?

Lee
19-06-2009, 16:55
General Server: news.astraweb.com

Thats not using there SSL server is ssl that important though ?

ssl.astraweb.com Ports 443 or 563 is the general ssl one which i'm using.

Dirtymurt
25-06-2009, 22:21
yes, you need to be ussing ssl if you want to keep what you are doing private.

it does seem like application specific throttling. if they couple this with the proposed caps on torrent and P2P next year, they will have achieved their goal.

rashlan
19-04-2010, 21:15
Did anyone find out if this problem was caused by shaping as i'm currently suffering with the same problem :confused:

rashlan
13-05-2010, 15:33
Did anyone find out if this problem was caused by shaping as i'm currently suffering with the same problem :confused:

Just thought i'd update. since posting, i limited the client to 48 Mb/s and its been working flawlessly ever since. I'm getting the full 48Mb/s 24/7 and the household has downloaded over a terabyte since the 19-04-2010. I must say that i'm shocked at how well its performing.