PDA

View Full Version : Anonymous Caller Rejection on mobiles

m419
11-06-2009, 19:03
Is anyone fed up of recieving anonymous calls on your mobile and not having the control to stop them?

I'm tired of having to sit there wondering who is calling,just sitting there trying to avoid the anonymous call or even change my number at times.

Therefore, i'm thinking of doing a sort of petition to get the mobile networks to launch it!

Anonymous caller rejection and Choose to refuse are essential!

I mean if they can call you on private number, why can't you control who is calling you, your paying the bill!!!

Chris
11-06-2009, 19:05
IIRC certain handsets have this function built in? I've never used it but I seem to remember some old Nokia handsets I've had could do this.

Hom3r
11-06-2009, 19:05
register the phone with TPS for free, and this should reduce the number of call you get.

Peter_
11-06-2009, 19:07
register the phone with TPS for free, and this should reduce the number of call you get.
Great idea here is the link http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/tps/

m419
11-06-2009, 19:12
Thats for sales calls, what about nuicence calls and people you don't wanna talk to!

Can't they just play a message saying 'please redial without withholding your number'

Also, why is that they splashed out 1471 systems on O2 and Vodafone? What is the point in having that when ALL phones have Missed call,Recieved calls and Unanswered calls history built into the phone.

v0id
11-06-2009, 19:46
what about nuicence calls and people you don't wanna talk to!.

You hit reject instead of answer :/

Hom3r
11-06-2009, 19:47
Sorry I should have posted the link.

Peter_
11-06-2009, 19:49
Sorry I should have posted the link.
No need to say that as we are all here to help each other, I have the link saved so easy to post.;)

m419
11-06-2009, 21:45
I even do that but its annoying, its like saying when people call your house phone on private number lift the handset and replace it as soon as you answer.

cookie_365
14-06-2009, 19:19
I've never had a phone or network that can do this - and I've had lots :)

One thing you could do is record a few seconds of silence and make that your ringtone.

Or just press reject.

Or accept the call, say 'oh can you just give me 30 seconds, there's someone at the door', put the phone on mute, put it down and just leave it. ;)

bopdude
14-06-2009, 19:40
IIRC windows mobile pda's had the function, or something like it, accept calls only from contacts list....................... or there about.

Paul
14-06-2009, 20:29
Just reject the call, its not that hard .......

DRZ400
14-06-2009, 20:46
Is anyone fed up of recieving anonymous calls on your mobile and not having the control to stop them?

Loads of freeware out there for both Window Mobile and Nokia's that'll do just what you want.

Here's a windows mobile version.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=307178&highlight=call+filter

TheOne
14-06-2009, 23:53
Or accept the call, say 'oh can you just give me 30 seconds, there's someone at the door', put the phone on mute, put it down and just leave it. ;)

I used to get nuisance calls off 1 guy a while ago, and after a while i started doing something similar....where i'd answer the call and just leave it on mute, they quickly realised their free mins/credit were getting drained:p: ....thankfully ive lived in peace ever since :D

haydnwalker
15-06-2009, 14:13
My other half had a "silent" caller phone her alot - I advised her to do the same answer but not speak and let the credit/free minutes disappear

altis
15-06-2009, 15:58
If your phone presents the caller's number then I believe your service provider is obliged to offer anonymous caller rejection (ACR):

... but Brussels came to the rescue with Article 8.3 of the Telecoms Data Protection Directive (97/66/EC), which states :

"Where presentation of calling line identification is offered and where the calling line identification is presented prior to the call being established, the called subscriber must have the possibility via a simple means to reject incoming calls where the presentation of the calling line identification has been eliminated by the calling user or subscriber."

In effect this means ACR, and Article 15.1 requires :

"Member States shall bring into force the laws, regulations and administrative provisions necessary for them to comply with this Directive not later than 24 October 1998."

The DTI finally brought in the Telecommunications (Data Protection and Privacy) Regulations 1999 (formerly 1998 ;-) ) under the Data Protection Act 1998 on 1 March 2000. If your telco hasn't implemented ACR yet, try quoting the Regulations at them, or inviting them to talk to Oftel.

http://www.ainslie.org.uk/callerid/cli_faq.htm#Q_17

Act:
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1999/19992093.htm#12

cookie_365
15-06-2009, 18:21
A 'simple means to reject incoming calls' would be pressing the reject button.

I think what the OP wants is a way to get either the phone or network to automatically reject/send to voicemail and calls that dont identify themselves, without necessarily blocking calls that do identify themselves but aren't in the contacts list.

m419
16-06-2009, 13:38
Its not that hard for the operating companies to do, I mean why launch 1471 service which is not needed???

Valiantnodge
24-06-2009, 16:30
I'm with Vodafone, and they've been really helpful with my recent bout of malicious calls.

I contacted them on 191 and was referred to their Nuisance Caller Bureau.

I had to ring them immediately after each one, until they had three examples, then they sent me a form.

Now they're proceeding with the police on my behalf to get it stopped once and for all.