PDA

View Full Version : NTL Business Modem

Annexehlc
11-06-2009, 11:32
Hi

Can anyone help with a VPN issue?

The problem is- We are a small charity that have two offices, in office 1 we have a VPN. We can connect to the VPN server in office 1 from our homes and other places with no problem.

In our other office (office 2) we have a NTL business modem and it will not allow us to connect to the VPN in office 1. NTL told us that it is because we have a dynamic IP in office 2 and thats why we can not connect? But we have dynamic IP's at our homes and other places and do not have a problem, so to me the IP if it be dynamic or static is not the real issue as I have explained to NTL.

I have spoken to NTL support without much luck, and checked on the internet and came across the the idea that it may be the NTL modem which I suspected it is.

The modem has a firewall and parent filters and also gives a local IP of 192.168.0 ? Unlike the home modem that does not have firewall and parent filters and gives a internet IP. However according to the person from NTL both modems the home and business are the same which clearly they are not hence I did not get anywhere with them.

Or VPN runs on a IP of 192.168.0.254 (thats the mail server) and the NTL modem in office 2 gives a IP of 192.168.0.*, now because they are on the same subnet this is giving us a problem connecting to the vpn I think? I can take a laptop and plug it in at home or a cafe and connect to our vpn but when I go to office 2 I can not connect to the vpn?

It can only be the NTL modem , but unfortunately for us NTL will not give us a home modem or a work around to get access to our files and mail so we are kind of stuck?

So I am looking for some ideas here.

Kymmy
11-06-2009, 11:40
If you're on 4 or 10Mb then ask for either 1 or 5 fixed IP's (will cost a single £10 fee for either 1 or 5) they'll then update the modem via remote removing the inbuilt router software

You'll then have a no-nat service that you can control and route how you wish..

Unfortunately you can;t do this on the 20Mb service yet

MovedGoalPosts
11-06-2009, 11:56
You may be seeing a clash if both office networks are running using the same internal network IP range i.e 192.168.0.xxx. I've had this issue myself whereby the DNS dis not adequately resolve.

Are you also getting confused between modem and a router? The Cable Modem would not normally include a firewall. That is normally part of a router. What model make and number is the modem / router?

Kymmy
11-06-2009, 12:05
Rob the NTL business modem (2050) has a built in router as standard.. Only if you go for a fixed (or 5 fixed) IP's does the router get turned off and the modem acts as just a modem

It's also a horrible router as you have little/no control over port forwarding