PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Media's ADSL Broadband advice needed....

WelshPaul
10-06-2009, 12:50
Hi guy's my sister lives outside of the cabled network and as a result has had Virgin Media provide their ADSL service over a BT phone line, she will be calling me later to setup her broadband router which she received this morning so i have a couple of questions:

1. What is the ip address to access the routers web interface? (192.168.1.1)

2. What would the default username and password be?

I ask this because my sister is as thick as two short planks when it comes to anything technical and trying to find out the basics instead of trial and error!

It's only needed to enter her broadband username and password so the router connects to the ADSL service. (Unless it comes pre-configured, which i doubt otherwise they would not have emailed her her username and password for accessing the service.)

Tech_Boy
10-06-2009, 13:25
1, 192.168.0.1

2, username & password should be virgin & password

all of which should be printed on the bottom of the router.

the routers are being sent out preconfigured now, the default network key is normally virgin plus the password in the email.

WelshPaul
10-06-2009, 14:03
Thanks for the information, she using a wired connection so it was just in case the username and password was not preset for adsl connection.

Thanks

Tech_Boy
10-06-2009, 14:08
no probs

Chris
10-06-2009, 14:12
1, 192.168.0.1

2, username & password should be virgin & password

all of which should be printed on the bottom of the router.

the routers are being sent out preconfigured now, the default network key is normally virgin plus the password in the email.

Unless it has changed recently, the user name is your.email@adsl.virgin.net, where 'your.email' is the name of your actual email mailbox. This is the only time you use @adsl.virgin.net, when you log in to webmail or set the reply-to address for your emails, it's just @virgin.net.

Tech_Boy
10-06-2009, 14:40
the OP was asking for the username & password for the router, not the connection.

Chris
10-06-2009, 14:41
D'oh!

I'll go back to sleep now ... :D