PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Media and Newzbins

gvsuk
09-06-2009, 18:03
Hi Guys, Please don't shoot me down as I am a newby to this downloading lark. Ok, I have Virginmedia and am currently on 20BB.
When I visit Newzbins and download NBz I can only get around 500k download and it pauses quite a lot?
Could someone please help me and tell me what I am doing wrong?
I thought I would be getting super fast downloads?
I am a full member of Newzbins and I am using Grabbit.

Would appreciate any help?

Thanks guys

Alan

Kymmy
09-06-2009, 18:04
Nothing to do with newzbin but more likely your grabbit..

Would help if you posted which news-server you use and how many streams

gvsuk
09-06-2009, 18:32
Thanks for fast reply Kymmy.

I am using news.virginmedia.com at port 119.
How can I find out my streams?

Thanks

roger_chef
09-06-2009, 19:33
yeh I changed to alt.binz as grabbit was slowww on my 50mbit, now happy at a solid 6.1/2 MB/s

nemesis01
09-06-2009, 21:32
Hi Guys, Please don't shoot me down as I am a newby to this downloading lark. Ok, I have Virginmedia and am currently on 20BB.
When I visit Newzbins and download NBz I can only get around 500k download and it pauses quite a lot?
Could someone please help me and tell me what I am doing wrong?
I thought I would be getting super fast downloads?
I am a full member of Newzbins and I am using Grabbit.

Would appreciate any help?

Thanks guys

Alan

Could be getting traffic managed by VM, depends on how much you have downloaded. When 20MB is 'managed' speed drops to 5MB which would account for 500k speeds. Also VM news servers IME are not very reliable, pay $11 a month for Astraweb instead, far superior.

Kymmy
09-06-2009, 21:46
Could be getting traffic managed by VM, depends on how much you have downloaded. When 20MB is 'managed' speed drops to 5MB which would account for 500k speeds. Also VM news servers IME are not very reliable, pay $11 a month for Astraweb instead, far superior.

VM usenet servers are very limited, they are restricted on streams (not even sure if they allow multiple streams) and thier retention is about 7 days..

That doesn't mean to say that is the problem, it could be over subscription, STM (as mentioned above), a problem with grabbit or a simple bottleneck (the server is 3rd party and not hosted by VM)

When it happens again stop the download and try doing a few speed tests (up and down), this will at least point you to either a bottleneck, STM or another restriction

gvsuk
10-06-2009, 14:48
Thanks guys, I will have a look around at some other options.
As I say, I am new to all this so dont really know what I am doing helf the time?

Thanks again

Alan

ToonArmyBarmy
03-10-2009, 10:43
Just saw your post. Grabit, by default will set the number of streams to 3. You can have 20 on virgin so need to change this. You should then max you connection (until packet shaping kicks in after first 5GB). Also remember to edit your preferences in Newzbin to only show posts up to 6 days old.

Xtinguish
03-10-2009, 11:14
I find that 12 streams is needed to permanently max your connection and alt.binz is much better than Grabbit. I currently use NewsBin which I think is unbeatable.

ToonArmyBarmy
03-10-2009, 12:10
Or you could try Newsdemon (www.newsdemon.com) which offers an unlimited download account for around £9 a month with 400 days binary retention.

gobbledigook
03-10-2009, 17:31
i think the technical issues to sort your speed problem have been covered, more connections etc... but i wanted to suggest an alternative client :)

you could try sabnzbd (http://www.sabnzbd.org/) which is free, multiple OS's are supported, and is very lightweight as it uses a webui (web-user-interface) you can tell it to scan certain folders to pick up .nzb's it has a scheduler and you can configure multiple servers ie virgin and astraweb.

anyway i think i've done enough selling now ;)

tuckeratlarge
04-10-2009, 21:40
Alt.binz and usenetserver.com

As for newsbin, I find Merlins Portal to be better and is free

There is also Binsearch and newsleech, also free