PDA

View Full Version : Whats the correct levels for 50 MB router

blenky
09-06-2009, 01:45
Seen lots of threads where people have quoted their upstream and downstream levels.

Could anyone confirm what are classed as acceptable levels.

Also is there anything else within the configuartion info that coudl indicate a problem?

My d/l speed all evening has been about 15-20 MB (grr!) and my levels are

Downstream

Power Level (dBmV)
5.38 5.34 5.46 N/A

RxMER (dB)
38.61 39.40 39.40 N/A

Upstream

Power Level (dBmV)

Cheers!

ro53ben
09-06-2009, 07:45
The downsteam power level should ideally be +/- 7dBmV. You can usually get away with +/- 10dBmV, but ideally you will be in the narrower band. This applies to both 50 and 20meg.

I don't know any official figures for Upstream, so I won't quote any.

50meg is the MAXIMUM speed, you won't be guaranteed it all the time from all sites. Some sites simply can't supply it, other sites are swamped with traffic at certain times of day.

Try http://speedchecker.org and get a true value for your line. If your line is capable, there is nothing technically wrong at a local level. Your issue is either that the remote site can't supply you with enough bandwidth or a bottleneck somewhere on the VirginMedia network.

Peter_
09-06-2009, 08:11
The downsteam power level should ideally be +/- 7dBmV. You can usually get away with +/- 10dBmV, but ideally you will be in the narrower band. This applies to both 50 and 20meg.

I don't know any official figures for Upstream, so I won't quote any.

50meg is the MAXIMUM speed, you won't be guaranteed it all the time from all sites. Some sites simply can't supply it, other sites are swamped with traffic at certain times of day.

Try http://speedchecker.org and get a true value for your line. If your line is capable, there is nothing technically wrong at a local level. Your issue is either that the remote site can't supply you with enough bandwidth or a bottleneck somewhere on the VirginMedia network.
As you said his Downstream is fine and Upstream should not go over 58 for future reference.

ro53ben
09-06-2009, 08:26
As you said his Downstream is fine and Upstream should not go over 58 for futuree reference.

Thanks

Peter_
09-06-2009, 08:41
Seen lots of threads where people have quoted their upstream and downstream levels.

Could anyone confirm what are classed as acceptable levels.

Also is there anything else within the configuartion info that coudl indicate a problem?

My d/l speed all evening has been about 15-20 MB (grr!) and my levels are

Downstream

Power Level (dBmV)
5.38 5.34 5.46 N/A

RxMER (dB)
38.61 39.40 39.40 N/A

Upstream

Power Level (dBmV)

Cheers!

I would advise you to call in so one of my colleagues can help you.

ro53ben
09-06-2009, 13:35
I've had 3 engineer visits now and my levels are absolutely perfect. I have a nice new cable from a cabinet that I can see out of my front window.

My connection still sucks though, so I wouldn't factor too much importance into those signal levels.

altis
09-06-2009, 14:17
Everything you ever wanted to know about levels:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/signal.html

(Although, I don't know if it's still up to date)

Peter_
09-06-2009, 14:35
Everything you ever wanted to know about levels:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/signal.html

(Although, I don't know if it's still up to date)
No it is definitely out of date and not been updated for years.

blenky
09-06-2009, 18:07
I would advise you to call in so one of my colleagues can help you.

I did place a call some time back and an engineer came out and reduced my levels. Didn't make any difference. Like many people 50 MB is a bit of a double edged sword. It work fine for a time then goes pants.

---------- Post added at 18:07 ---------- Previous post was at 18:05 ----------

The crap speed I was getting was from my newsgroup provider who CAN supply it. I don't expect 50 MB all the time, but neither do I expect 20 MB a lot of the time! Ho hum.