PDA

View Full Version : Head Gluing...

Tuftus
08-06-2009, 21:03
Allright, now i have grabbed your attention...

My Mrs cut her head open on Friday night after trying to wear in some high heels and subsequently tripping over her own feet / rug, d'oh! The TV was fine by the way, as is the Mrs thank god!

Anyways, we spent a good many hours in A&E and she had the wound glued up instead of stitches.

When can she wash her hair again? We have tried to contact NHS Direct and the automated msg said if if it was not urgent, they would call back in 4 hours...

So, not wanting to be a burden to all the people with Swine Flu etc and since you guys and gals are a knowledgeable bunch, when can she wash her hair without melting the glue?

Oh, and I do not want to be cleaning more claret out of the cream carpets!!!! :D

joglynne
08-06-2009, 21:25
I hope Mrs Tuftus is OK, I have found this NHS advise, hope it's of some use.

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/2553.aspx?CategoryID=72&SubCategoryID=72

alferret
08-06-2009, 21:26
Should be waterproof, if its glued its not a bad a cut as it looks.

Salu
09-06-2009, 15:44

My Mrs cut her head open on Friday night after trying to wear in some high heels and subsequently tripping over her own feet / rug, d'oh! The TV was fine by the way, as is the Mrs thank god!

Anyways, we spent a good many hours in A&E and she had the wound glued up instead of stitches.

When can she wash her hair again? We have tried to contact NHS Direct and the automated msg said if if it was not urgent, they would call back in 4 hours...

So, not wanting to be a burden to all the people with Swine Flu etc and since you guys and gals are a knowledgeable bunch, when can she wash her hair without melting the glue?

Oh, and I do not want to be cleaning more claret out of the cream carpets!!!! :D

It largely depends on the cut and it's location and if the glue is water resistant or not. If the wound is within the hair of the scalp then this would make it trickier to wash. Before glue came along we used to tie the hair on the opposite sides of the wound together which worked like stitches do....I still do sometimes actually...

If the wound is on the forehead for example then washing your hair is easier. Basically don't soak it and be careful; a common sense approach.

By now it's day four (we usually say about 5-7 days depending on the size and depth of the wound) so I'd say you would be probably OK but it really depends on how the wound is healing.

Hope that helps.

Charlie_Bubble
09-06-2009, 15:52

Don't let her get it wet for a minimum of 5 days. She should be ok after this.

Kymmy
09-06-2009, 16:13
The glue will be simple superglue which actually uses water in it's setting process.

By now the skin should have knitted together enough not to need the glue

LondonRoad
09-06-2009, 16:19
Our youngest split her chin open last year and got glued. We were told just to use face wipes around the wound for three days.

She a pretty messy eater so we had to wash her before that and the glue done the trick fine...... until she split her chin open again 2 months later. :( More glue and all has been well since:) (crosses fingers, touches wood etc...)

LondonRoad
11-06-2009, 15:54
Our youngest split her chin open last year and got glued. We were told just to use face wipes around the wound for three days.

She a pretty messy eater so we had to wash her before that and the glue done the trick fine...... until she split her chin open again 2 months later. :( More glue and all has been well since:) (crosses fingers, touches wood etc...)

sh*t, I didn't cross fingers long enough or touch enough wood. Had to rush home from work to pick eldest up from school as youngest has just split her head on a radiator in the living room. My wife has taken her to hospital just now. It doesn't sound to bad, probably butterfly stitches or glue again. At least it's not her chin again. :(

danielf
11-06-2009, 16:02
sh*t, I didn't cross fingers long enough or touch enough wood. Had to rush home from work to pick eldest up from school as youngest has just split her head on a radiator in the living room. My wife has taken her to hospital just now. It doesn't sound to bad, probably butterfly stitches or glue again. At least it's not her chin again. :(

I know I shouldn't laugh but I could'nt help it. :)

Hope the little one is ok :tu:

LondonRoad
11-06-2009, 20:49
I know I shouldn't laugh but I could'nt help it. :)

Hope the little one is ok :tu:

She seems not too bad now. Head glued again. Same advice as before: keep it dry for 3 days, no boisterous play, check her every couple of hours during the night...... The joys of parenthood. ;)

She'd decided to launch herself onto a little HSM couch that we have, she tripped slightly and flew over the top of the couch and her head caught the radiator. She's got about an inch long mark now about half an inch above her left eye. Could have been worse.

My good lady had the foresight to use some of the little strips leftover from the chin incident last year to close the wound. The doctor says this would have helped greatly in reducing the scarring. Well done my Mrs.