PDA

View Full Version : How is Virgin Media nowadays ? Thinking of moving from ADSL

snow-munki
08-06-2009, 20:17
Hi,

Currently got ADSL with UK Online 8mb so paying £12 for BT and £20 for ADSL. I get about 7MB on my 8MB service.

Now Virgin do just broadband 10MB for £15 a month for 3 months and then £20 a month so saving at least £12 a month as I don't need a phone line.

Good move ? As I heard a while ago Virgin used to cap the traffic a LOT and I do do quite a bit of downloading at nights.

Also is there a way to find out if my area is slow ?

Thanks,

caph
08-06-2009, 21:41
You need to find someone close by and find what UBR they are on, then ask in the Virgin support newsgroup if it is oversubscribed.

To be honest, I would wait until Autumn as they should have finished upgrading their network by then. Until then you could well be paying for a barely usable connection.

broadbandking
08-06-2009, 23:27
All depends on the area really tbh I get good service, STM shouldn't be a issue for yourself if you download overnight or after 9pm as thats when STM mointoring stops.

ro53ben
09-06-2009, 07:36
These are the key traffic management facts

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html

For overnight downloading, not an issue, but it needs to be after 9pm. They limit upload too.

gabbyrn
09-06-2009, 11:46
Will cost you £25 for 10 mb now, they have just increased price from £17.50 they say its good value but I would shop around.

ro53ben
09-06-2009, 12:04
My service has been up and down like a Yo Yo for 4 weeks now, I'd recommend you went somewhere else.

nefu
09-06-2009, 13:33
I am a long time advocate of Virgin, however for the last 6 months my UBR has been so oversubscribed that I regularly get less than 5MB on my 20MB BB. Repeated visits by engineers (why they bother I don't know) confirm that it is not a line fault, yet I cannot get what I am paying for. Escalated to the complaints dept who have not even called me back, so right now I would stay away until the network is sorted!

ro53ben
09-06-2009, 13:37
I am a long time advocate of Virgin, however for the last 6 months my UBR has been so oversubscribed that I regularly get less than 5MB on my 20MB BB. Repeated visits by engineers (why they bother I don't know) confirm that it is not a line fault, yet I cannot get what I am paying for. Escalated to the complaints dept who have not even called me back, so right now I would stay away until the network is sorted!

Yes, I initially got very good a frequent contact from my escalate issue. Now I'm really struggling and running out of favours to ask of the techies I have contact details for. I'm running out of ideas for what to do next.

caph
09-06-2009, 18:36

I've had the same problem but for about 8 months now. If you can prove that you have been complaining for at least 3 months you can lodge an online complaint with CISAS (the OFCOM dispute resolution service) for free. VM will then have 7 days to sort out your speed, which they won't, then it goes to the adjudicator. I would strongly recommend you do this since it costs nothing and if enough of us do this OFCOM will start to get the message. If nothing else you will probably get some money refunded to you (you state how much you want when you lodge the complaint) and you'll probably get a phone call directly from the CEO's office within a few days.

---------- Post added at 18:36 ---------- Previous post was at 18:32 ----------

Yes, I initially got very good a frequent contact from my escalate issue. Now I'm really struggling and running out of favours to ask of the techies I have contact details for. I'm running out of ideas for what to do next.

Same goes for you Ro53ben.