PDA

View Full Version : Tesco Slicing Tomatoes

LSainsbury
08-06-2009, 19:56
Current Affairs or Lifestyle...Current Affairs or Lifestyle...Lifestyle it is...

Hi All,

Wasn't sure where to put this one - chose Lifestyle in the end, but still current affairs...

Anybody had any of those new tomatoes from Tesco?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinknews/5230545/Soggy-sandwiches-banished-by-super-tomato-Tesco-claims.html

I had some today in my sandwich and it was decidely less soggy.

More product testing will occour tomorrow! :p:

Anybody else had them?

Lee

Druchii
08-06-2009, 20:01
Current Affairs or Lifestyle...Current Affairs or Lifestyle...Lifestyle it is...

Hi All,

Wasn't sure where to put this one - chose Lifestyle in the end, but still current affairs...

Anybody had any of those new tomatoes from Tesco?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinknews/5230545/Soggy-sandwiches-banished-by-super-tomato-Tesco-claims.html

I had some today in my sandwich and it was decidely less soggy.

More product testing will occour tomorrow! :p:

Anybody else had them?

Lee

Never had an issue with "beefsteak" tomatoes. Not sure what their real name is, but they're yummy and don't soggy your sandwich.

Can't test these from Tesco though :/

lucy7
08-06-2009, 20:09
Nothing worse than a soggy sandwich! :)

Are they organic though?

Peter_
08-06-2009, 20:14
Why not go the whole hog and sell the tomato pre sliced, the would be a market for itDownload Failed (1) (http://www.smileyshut.com/Smileys/Smiley-Huts-Free-Laughing-Smileys.html)

papa smurf
08-06-2009, 20:14
Emma Pettitt, Tesco's tomato buyer said: "Tomatoes are one of Britain's most loved vegetables

but there fruit arent they ,i would have thought there top buyer would know that;)

Peter_
08-06-2009, 20:15
Emma Pettitt, Tesco's tomato buyer said: "Tomatoes are one of Britain's most loved vegetables

but there fruit arent they ,i would have thought there top buyer would know that;)
She is obviously a bit of a veg.:D

joglynne
08-06-2009, 20:23
I'm with Druchii on this vital issue. Beefsteak tomatoes are the ones to use. Very little of that disgusting jelly like stuff that makes my butties soggy.

Hom3r
08-06-2009, 20:27
How are they labelled?

Don't say Tomatoes :)

Peter_
08-06-2009, 20:41
How are they labelled?

May contain nuts.

Graham M
08-06-2009, 20:43
Ive got a pack of them in the fridge, usefully as theyre egg-shaped they dont tend to roll around while youre cutting them :)

joglynne
08-06-2009, 20:43
How are they labelled?

May contain nuts.

Suitable for Vegetarians.

Peter_
08-06-2009, 20:48
Suitable for Vegetarians.
And Vegans

LSainsbury
08-06-2009, 21:20
How are they labelled?

The ones we have are the usual clear plastic packaging labled as "Tesco Slicing Tomatoes" - four in a pack (think you can get 6 as well) and egg shaped as pointed out.

fireman328
08-06-2009, 21:32
I think in the news this is what is called a slow day for news

Halcyon
08-06-2009, 22:15
I actually like a soggy sandwhich. When the tomato mixes with the cheese and everything. Nice.

I really like the small ones you can buy on the grapevine. Really tasty.

rogerdraig
08-06-2009, 22:39

they dont put the bananas in the herb section either ;)

:angel: me lol

---------- Post added at 22:39 ---------- Previous post was at 22:38 ----------

I actually like a soggy sandwhich. When the tomato mixes with the cheese and everything. Nice.

yep soggy egg and tomato ones are my fav :)

Peter_
08-06-2009, 22:41
yep soggy egg and tomato ones are my fav :)
They should sell sliced tomatoes and sliced eggs so all you need to do is butter the bread:D

rogerdraig
08-06-2009, 22:44
They should sell sliced tomatoes and sliced eggs so all you need to do is butter the bread:D

you mean do it myself too many health and safty risks there i might cut myself with the butter knife ;)

papa smurf
08-06-2009, 22:44

they could sell buttered bread;)

Maggy
08-06-2009, 22:45
It's a mistake to prepare your sarnies in advance if using tomatoes,they are less inclined to be soggy if you slice them ,sandwich them and eat them straight away.

Also they are much nicer if you DON'T put them in the fridge.Keeping them cold prevents them from ripening properly and affects the flavour.

papa smurf
08-06-2009, 22:47
It's a mistake to prepare your sarnies in advance if using tomatoes,they are less inclined to be soggy if you slice them ,sandwich them and eat them straight away.

Also they are much nicer if you DON'T put them in the fridge.Keeping them cold prevents them from ripening properly and affects the flavour.

:tu::nworthy:

joglynne
08-06-2009, 22:48

You're missing a business opportunity there. They could also sell pre-buttered bread. Or even put the pre-sliced tomatoes with the pre-sliced eggs between the pre-buttered bread and call them something, oh I can't think, maybe some thing on the lines of ready made sandwiches. :D

danielf
08-06-2009, 22:48
they could sell buttered bread;)

They do. It's called bread (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/22/15023-fat-in-bread.html)

Peter_
09-06-2009, 06:26
you mean do it myself too many health and safty risks there i might cut myself with the butter knife ;)
Oh well just get a bag of pre sliced bagels and do away with using butter, but watch out that it does not drop out of the middle:D

LondonRoad
09-06-2009, 08:36

Pedant mode: Tomato vine surely :) unless you've got some weird genetic experiment going on in your greenhouse:shocked:

rogerdraig
09-06-2009, 14:06
:angel:

Pog66
09-06-2009, 14:22

That's wht mine come straight out off the plant in the garden :)

Kymmy
09-06-2009, 14:56
Sorry but I buy tomatoes based on taste, if I want bread to be less soggy I put the tomatoes between ham/lettuce or even layers of cheese..