PDA

View Full Version : Tech guys giving up!, not too happy

BonyTony
08-06-2009, 15:26
My Virgin ADSL broadband since yesterday around 1pm has virtually gone off any web page taking 30-90 secs to load, initially reported it to Virgin tech support and they said there is a fault in the area so i left it as i was told it would be fixed soon.

This morning its still the same so i did the following, swap filter, disconnect phones, connect router upto BT test socket, connect via Ethernet and boot into safe mode with networking....and still the same.

I tried another router....the same result.
Tried another laptop...the same result.
Reset and re set up router...the same result.

Called tech support they said they were going to do a thorough line check, a few hours later they called back but were unsure as what was if anything has or was happening with the check.

I had to ask them if they wanted any stats off the router like attenuation db which is 37 up and 20 down and noise margin 15 down and 18 up.

I asked them about packet loss and we did a check which came back as a 50% loss using a google address, no comment from tech guys.

Now they have me checking broadband speed using the BT speed checking site and for me to call them back tomorrow!, they cannot seem to understand if i wait 60 seconds for the page to load i can do a speed check which gives me 2.5meg but the point is it takes a minute for anything to even load.

Any suggestions on what to do now or to try as its looking like another day of unusable broadband.

smeagoly1
08-06-2009, 16:37
Unfortunate but it's like piggy in the middle. ADSL, line with BT and tinternet with another company. Been there seen it done it, and ermm still doing it, one company blames the other or say it's not at their end and both sides refuse to budge.

What I would do though is what another member on here told me to do, do an audiable crackle test on your BT line, can't remember the 3 diudgit number to dial and it will send you to an automated section, where you can listen for any crackling. if you do you can then get BT to check the line and quality.

Paul K
08-06-2009, 17:02
17070? Think you then take option 2. Before you do though plug into the socket directly with nothing else on the line and if possible plug into the test socket if you have one to rule out any issues on internal wiring if you have extensions.

BonyTony
08-06-2009, 23:18
I have noticed a small amount of crackle on the line when using the phone, never thought of mentioning it....will try the number though.

Still 30 secs to load any page and a download speed of .3 meg.

moroboshi
09-06-2009, 00:06
Why did you sign up with Virgin ADSL? If you're using BT Phone lines you'd do much better with Be/O2.

BonyTony
09-06-2009, 17:10
update: pages load as normal now, when i use the BT speed test it comes back as 3.5meg (around the 450k in my down load monitor).....But when i download any file from anywhere on the net the max it comes down is 250k, i just don't get it.

Virgin did say there was a fault which is now fixed but they have ruined the speed of any download, also tried their news server which using 8 connections would not go past 80k and sample test downloads i found using the search on this forum.

moroboshi i would love to be able to choose be/02 but on my exchange (meltham) its not available, virgin blame the slow download speed to me being 800 meters away from the exchange:dozey:.

They have stated no caps are in place on my connection, they keep them for the people who thought they would be getting unlimited broadband;)

BBC iplayer/ youtube never gets any faster than 260k download, why does the BT one show a better speed?

Overall i have found Virgin ADSl a stressful and tiring experience, one i won`t be repeating when i move.