PDA

View Full Version : Do I need 10mb upgrade?

revolt1
06-06-2009, 13:04
Hi all

Just recieved a letter saying my broadband will be upgraded to 10mb.Im happy with my settings router and 2mb.

Is the 10meg upgrade vital for my internet to work? Im ok with what I have.Will my 2meg still work through my set top box with cross over cable.

Cheers all

joglynne
06-06-2009, 13:20
I'm afraid that you will be given the upgrade whether you welcome it or not. If you don't register for an early upgrade you may be able to hold on to your 2Mb a bit longer but probably only for a few months.

As you currently get your BB through your STB you will also need a separate modem which VM will provide free of charge as your STB may not be capable of handling the increased speed. Or so I understand, someone will no doubt correct me if I am wrong on the speed issue.

You should find that your router will still be OK you will just connect it to the new modem rather than the STB.

revolt1
06-06-2009, 13:24
I have a big box with cable modem but not sure how to install it. Will I get a letter when they plan to upgrade?
Or do they send engineers out?

thanks all for replys

joglynne
06-06-2009, 13:38
Are there no instructions in the box as it sounds as though you have been sent a self install kit?

If there are no instructions I am sure someone who has been through the process is sure to come on this thread and be able to advise you what to do.

revolt1
06-06-2009, 13:43
hi there are instructions,im not great with these things. Is the 10meg already in my set top box now?

joglynne
06-06-2009, 13:51
It may well be there already or just due very soon. You could check on the list which you can find here (http://www.virginmedia.com/myvirginmedia/gofaster/timetable.php).

From reading the main 2 to 10Mb thread (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33649399-upgrade-from-2-10-meg.html) it seems that the instructions are quite good and it only takes about 5 minutes to do followed by a phone call to activate the new modem.

Add. If you are still worried hang on and wait for someone who has already done the install to give their advise. or post on the main thread which may get you a quicker response. :)

revolt1
06-06-2009, 13:54
Ok thank you