PDA

View Full Version : Questions on new install

Teknophobia
05-06-2009, 13:22
Slightly different to other posters....!

Switching to VM next week. There is an old NTL wall socket with 2 connectors in my living room. I am having V+HD, BB and phone installed, and am also having a further V box (standard I think) in the conservatory (at the back of the house).

Could someone tell me how many cables are going to be run into my house please? I assume it could be just the one with various splitting going on inside, but if anyone could be clearer, please let me know as I would like to prepare for the engineer (i.e. drill the holes myself before engineer arrives, remove skirting for cable placement, etc.).

Also, can I have the BB and/or phone in my conservatory?

Many thanks.

TEk

MovedGoalPosts
05-06-2009, 14:15
There is only one cable run from the street through your front garden to a box that is normally mounted externally to the front of the house. Well strictly speaking it's a paired cable - phone and co-axial. From the external box cables are split and routed to where they are needed to terminate at your appliance connections. Sometimes the co-axial will be run through the house and then split closer to it's destinations. It all depends on the easiest routings.

You should be able to have the connection points, within reason, anywhere in the house. You need to consider a reasonable cable route though. Most cables are surface fixed so you need to think how they are going to get round or through walls and doors. Installers will not normally drill through ceilings.

Teknophobia
05-06-2009, 15:11
Thanks Rob,

If I decide to have the Broadband in the conservatory, will that be using the same coaxial cable as the TV signal?

TEk

MovedGoalPosts
05-06-2009, 15:13
Cable TV and Cable Broadband are delivered over the same coaxial cable. Phone has the separate wiring. Thus if you really want to you can move your Set Top Boxes and Cable modem from one point to another.

ethelb
05-06-2009, 23:08
I've got 2 v+ boxes installed, one downstairs near the point where the wires come to the house from the street, the other at the back of the property-the cable on this installation runs around the outside of the property, following the brickwork, even following the cement line over the curve of the front porch, over the kitchen roof before entering the back bedroom, the engineer discussed with me the best way to run the cable, hope this helps

Teknophobia
09-06-2009, 15:11
Thanks Rob/ethelb.

I guess I could ask (or bribe!) the engineer to place a double connector in both the living room AND the conservatory, so that I could move the cable modem about if needed (as opposed to switching as the TV will always be required in conservatory).

TEk