PDA

View Full Version : Ears and Eyes

morrison
04-06-2009, 17:05
Thought I would start a new thread instead of causing confusion on the Teeth Tread.

If you are an OAP eye examinations are free but you still have to pay for specticals. This does not seem to include new techniquess like digital photography.

With hearing, assesments, hearing aids and batteries have always been free regardless of age.

Kymmy
04-06-2009, 17:16
I'm no where near 60 and I get free eye tests ;) (and no it's not becasue of benefits)

AntiSilence
04-06-2009, 17:19
I'm no where near 60 and I get free eye tests ;) (and no it's not becasue of benefits)

My employer pays for my eye tests (not my glasses though, awww)

dilli-theclaw
04-06-2009, 17:28
I get free eye tests too (and not because of me benefits either).

Oddly, I thought I'd get help towards the cost of my specs because of my disability but alas not.

It is a pretty full test (although obviously not as good as when I go the hospital where they do all kinnds of scans and ultrasound on my eyes).

Turkey Machine
04-06-2009, 18:11
I get free eye tests too (and not because of me benefits either).

Oddly, I thought I'd get help towards the cost of my specs because of my disability but alas not.

It is a pretty full test (although obviously not as good as when I go the hospital where they do all kinnds of scans and ultrasound on my eyes).

Are you partially sighted then? I was under the impression from reading around here you were very blind! :)

I get mine done free via the HC2 certificate. Helps with the eye tests and the yearly new specs. Although I can feel the lenses needing renewing already, eyes are a bit strained even with them on. All the optometrist tells me is my eyes are still growing!

dilli-theclaw
04-06-2009, 18:16
Are you partially sighted then? I was under the impression from reading around here you were very blind! :)

I get mine done free via the HC2 certificate. Helps with the eye tests and the yearly new specs. Although I can feel the lenses needing renewing already, eyes are a bit strained even with them on. All the optometrist tells me is my eyes are still growing!I am registered partially sighted at the moment, due to have my status updated next time I go the hospital. But, as I'm sure you know, being blind does not preclude me from wearing glasses :)

I did in fact use a HC2 certificate last time I went to the opticians to get money off my glasses.

What I was saying was that I was expecting that I'd get help as I was loosing my sight. The same way I'd get help if I'd lost a leg.

Turkey Machine
04-06-2009, 18:43
Oh yes of course, I don't doubt that. Style is everything these days! :D ;)

Best of luck to you in a full recovery, miracles can happen some days. I long for the day I can go without glasses and/or contacts. My only worry is the LASER eye treatments being advertised, as I have a sneaking suspicion they're not permanent.

morrison
04-06-2009, 19:21
I am 85 years, so it is 20 years since I became an OAP, so I do not know what the position is with people under 65.

dilli-theclaw
04-06-2009, 19:39
Here is a list of what qualifies for a free eye test.

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/895.aspx?CategoryID=68&SubCategoryID=157

Kymmy
04-06-2009, 19:55
Here is a list of what qualifies for a free eye test.

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/895.aspx?CategoryID=68&SubCategoryID=157

The "you are 40 or over, and your mother, father, brother, sister, son or daughter has been diagnosed with glaucoma" is why I now get yearly free eye tests

altis
04-06-2009, 20:13
Alternatively, go to your local university opthalmology department an ask for a student eye test. This are performed by final year students as part of their training. It tends to be very slow but also very thorough. You can ask and learn a lot about what's happening.

Anonymouse
04-06-2009, 22:39
The "you are 40 or over, and your mother, father, brother, sister, son or daughter has been diagnosed with glaucoma" is why I now get yearly free eye tests
Me too, though I actually have glaucoma - God, I hate those damn drops! I always get a horrible chemical taste in my mouth!

In fact I'm apparently on the young side to have even early-onset glaucoma. :(

Kymmy
05-06-2009, 00:09
Me too, though I actually have glaucoma - God, I hate those damn drops! I always get a horrible chemical taste in my mouth!

My mother has glaucoma and also major scaring on the back of her eyes, she's expecting to register as partially sighted very soon. When it was diagnosed as her having some problem by an optician they sent her to the Manchester eye hospital (part of the MRI) where they saw major scaring on one eye and developingon the other. As I was with her they asked if they could look at mine and was pleased to hear that my eyes did not show the same problem. Still though I am the only one in my family never to wear glasses though my father never wore glasses till the age of 45 and his problem was mainly welding related as he was a sheet metal worker.

Angua
05-06-2009, 08:21

Another one here although would also get free yearly checks via work now.

My Father had early onset and never lost his sight as it was caught so early, although it was rather nerve racking if he was driving in the latter days :shocked:

dilli-theclaw
05-06-2009, 09:04
My Father had early onset and never lost his sight as it was caught so early, although it was rather nerve racking if he was driving in the latter days :shocked:At this point and at the risk of soundinglike a broken record. Can I totally agree with this point.

Although not glaucoma, I waited when my eyes were getting bad before getting them looked at. If i'd gone TWO WEEKS earlier I'd have saved much more of my sight.

So personally I'd suggest people get their eyes tested regulartly and on time.

And if you notice a radical change in your vision like I did - don't be an idiot like I was and not get it looked at it right away.

Anyway I'll get of soap box now lol

southwell
05-06-2009, 09:10
MY employer pays for my eye tests and would pay towards my glasses, if i needed them. I think most employers foot the costs of eye tests, at least. Well the ones i worked for have.