PDA

View Full Version : serious issues with 20mb

chriscling
03-06-2009, 18:23
i only use my internet really for gaming online,
im on the 20mb package, i used to average out at about 18mb, the upload has never really been a problem, the download in the last month averages out at about 1mb, sometimes 0.50, sometimes 2mb, this is a good day for me...https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/06/58.png
i dont even know whats wrong, nothing has changed, the router is still the same, i live in greater manchester aswell so it cant be a coverage problem,

this is what my modem says...

Cable Modem : Euro-DOCSIS 1.0/1.1/2.0 Compliant
Boot Code Version : 1.1.2c
Software Version : 2.111.1002
Hardware Version : 1.9

Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 6
Downstream Frequency : 586750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM64
Downstream Symbol Rate : 6952 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps12Increment17
Downstream Receive Power Level : 0.0 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 39.3 dB

Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 3
Upstream Frequency : 34000000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QPSK
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 42.0 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

Mon Jun 01 16:51:38 2009 Mon Jun 01 16:51:38 2009 Critical (3) Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ...
Mon Jun 01 08:12:00 2009 Mon Jun 01 08:12:00 2009 Warning (5) DHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response
Sun May 31 16:47:44 2009 Sun May 31 16:47:44 2009 Critical (3) Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ...
Thu May 28 20:13:39 2009 Thu May 28 20:13:39 2009 Information (7) The s/w filename specified in the config file is the same as ...
Thu May 28 20:13:39 2009 Thu May 28 20:13:39 2009 Information (7) A software upgrade filename was specified in the config file.

im not a very techy person i dont really know what most of this means,
i do know something is wrong and it should be alot better than this,
when i phoned virgin last week i got absolutely no information or help what so ever.

any ideas anyone?

cheers, chris.

---------- Post added at 17:23 ---------- Previous post was at 16:48 ----------

edit* just rang up aswell, the guy says im getting 20mb from their side, told me to download a file, so i downloaded an 8mb file, after about 30 seconds he asked he how much had been downloaded, i replied 1.5mb, so he sed ok well if you times that by 8 it shows you are getting over 10mb, that doesent even make sence.

Peter_
03-06-2009, 20:48
Your power levels are fine for your connection so any issue is elsewhere possibly on the exchange or even with your PC ( not pointing blame here :) )

-------------------------------------------------------------

Here is how the speedtest works below.

If you are a Virgin Media customer then the best speedtest is from the links below.

click on these 2 gamefiles battlefield_2142_demo.exe and bfme2demo_english_final.exe and save them to your desktop, and then wait a couple of minutes then write down the transfer rates on the files that are running add them together then multiply them by 8 and you will get a truer download speed.

Remember to stop and delete the files.

i.e : 250Kbps X 8 = 2Mbps, 500Kbps X 8 = 4Mbps, 1250Kbps X 8 = 10Mbps, 2500Kbps X 8 = 20Mbps

Then add 10% to the final figure to account for any processes running on your computer.

http://www.virginmedia.com/testmyspeed/manual.php
-----------------------------------------------------------
Be careful of reading modem logs, because what happens when you reboot your modem is that every single update for that modem is received at the same time giving you those worrying logs.

Virgin also disable most of the updates as they are not required so making it look even worse.

jack64
03-06-2009, 21:15
Well I have to say we also have a 20 Megs package , and for the last 3 months we are lucky to get 8 Megs an the most , although today its been around 5 Megs ...and we're really getting sick of it to be honest , and when we phone Virgin all the say is its a line fault , but this happens about every three weeks ..and always starts on a Friday lunch time too and will usually carry through until maybe Tuesday..then its ok, but as i said its getting worse ..and we may be forced to get our internet elsewhere :(

EDIT

Funny thing is when we were getting the Internet from Blueyonder it was perfect all the time, but as soon as Virgin took it over it started to go down hill pretty much within the first month, i mean they ( Virgin) say 20 Megs , but can only really guarantee 10 Megs , also we were not told that the super fast Fibre Optic ( Mother of all Broadband) Internet does not come into our flat but only goes as far as the street its still coaxle cable that comes into the flat, so we are pretty discusted to be honest :(

Hazanko
05-06-2009, 02:06
Well I have to say we also have a 20 Megs package , and for the last 3 months we are lucky to get 8 Megs an the most , although today its been around 5 Megs ...and we're really getting sick of it to be honest , and when we phone Virgin all the say is its a line fault , but this happens about every three weeks ..and always starts on a Friday lunch time too and will usually carry through until maybe Tuesday..then its ok, but as i said its getting worse ..and we may be forced to get our internet elsewhere :(

EDIT

Funny thing is when we were getting the Internet from Blueyonder it was perfect all the time, but as soon as Virgin took it over it started to go down hill pretty much within the first month, i mean they ( Virgin) say 20 Megs , but can only really guarantee 10 Megs , also we were not told that the super fast Fibre Optic ( Mother of all Broadband) Internet does not come into our flat but only goes as far as the street its still coaxle cable that comes into the flat, so we are pretty discusted to be honest :(

This is a problem that needs fixing asap. It's happening to me too. My connection has been fine for years but these last months have been slow. I don't know what's causing it. I tried a new modem and getting another soon to try. I've phoned ALOT, power levels seem fine. I really dunno what i can do. Line faults have been checked, i want to know why only a few months ago this happens?.

jack64
05-06-2009, 11:40
This is a problem that needs fixing asap. It's happening to me too. My connection has been fine for years but these last months have been slow. I don't know what's causing it. I tried a new modem and getting another soon to try. I've phoned ALOT, power levels seem fine. I really dunno what i can do. Line faults have been checked, i want to know why only a few months ago this happens?.

Yeah I know what your saying , as my Internet again was very slow last night , it was pinging out at about 2.5 Megs , so I dunno maybe its a router issue we have a D-Link DSL Router , Used to have a Linksys DSL but had the same issues too, they say they cant "see" anything on the line, but something is going on for sue , might just have to go to another ISP ...but i dunno who else does high speed cable :(

bino
06-06-2009, 01:24
its sounds to me like your modems are being capped..virgin media call it traffic management and is supposed to be for the top 5% of heavy downloaders were they cap your modem to slow your speeds down....seems like they r doing it to anybody they feel like now.... look it up on the net guys seems loads of people are haveing this problem with virgin media...another case of we are not getting what we r paying for...i am now looking for a new isp...tc guys

jack64
07-06-2009, 21:34
fair share policy lol

Ignitionnet
07-06-2009, 22:11
edit* just rang up aswell, the guy says im getting 20mb from their side, told me to download a file, so i downloaded an 8mb file, after about 30 seconds he asked he how much had been downloaded, i replied 1.5mb, so he sed ok well if you times that by 8 it shows you are getting over 10mb, that doesent even make sence.

Good to see VM's outsourcing company hiring people who not only are full of BS but can't even count when they try to use maths to BS.

DigitalShadow
07-06-2009, 22:19
1.5Mb in 30 seconds, that is just over 400kbit, now that is slow!

jack64
08-06-2009, 12:24
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/06/48.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

well as you can see it says im gettin near on 20Megs, but i have to say its very slow for 20 Megs...so i dunno