PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade to 50mb today

4motions
02-06-2009, 04:55
To cut a long story short, Ive had NTL/ VM for around 10 years now and in fairness the original install was 100%, took the installers 2 days to do it lol :erm:

Then in 2007 due to an expansion of the house the cable for the broadband had to be re-routed due to a new room going out the back.

When the cable was re-routed the engineer decided not to replace the cable running from the grey NTL box outside with a longer one. Instead he used the existing cable which now stopped under the floorboards and then connected on a white coax from it directly into the modem. The problem being is there is a white cable that just pops up from under the floor boards in the room.

Is there any chance of getting a white wall mounted holder for the modem to connect in to like it did in the past? In other words, having a new longer cable (about 2m longer) from the grey ntl box to a new wall holder.

I dont want him to just run the current white coax and cut it short because that will mean there are 2 joins between the modem and the grey ntl box. Ive been told, the more connections there are, the more signal is lost?? :erm:

Its annoyed the hell out of me for the past 2 years as it looks cheap and nasty and would like it replaced when the engineer is here. Could I say I am not happy with the previous engineers install?

PS: What is the maximum length possible from the Street cabinet to the external wall box before you have signal loss? Also from the external box to either your modem or stb?

Thanks