PDA

View Full Version : Installation next week - any advice?

Munty Flumple
01-06-2009, 15:25
I'm getting VM installed next week. I'm going for 3 x XL.

Just wondered if any of you fine people had any intsallation advice - things I should watch out for/ask for? If you could start over again what would you do differently?

I'm a Mac user is that gonna be an issue? does it matter if i pick a G router or N router? I am considering going for it and ordering the 50 meg service - is it worth it?

Do I need to make any demands re: V+ box - is there a standard one they fit?

Currently have BT phones and internet, will they need to change the points/sockets - is there anything I need to be wary of?

There's a lot of dead old cable wiring from Cable London days in the house will they be able to take these out?

Sorry if I've made a faux pas (?) by leaping in with my first post asking all these dumb questions. Not really a technical person but love my internet and TV and just don't want to make any schoolboy errors!

jungleguy
01-06-2009, 23:10
Hi and welcome

on install my advice is don't expect them to re-wire your entire house, try and make the installers job easier, eg draw back your tv and make sure there is space for the set top box (installers are not removal men). They may need to tack cable around the skirting board, make sure there are no furniture obscuring this. The biggest complaint against installers is if they broke things, so they don't like moving furniture, that's not unreasonable.

I think its unlikely the installer will remove the old cable, I think possibly you have a misunderstanding of what the installers wants to do on the job. He will want to get your services activated, if you think he is gonna remove old cables, you may well be disappointed. Please remember the installer has other installs that day and time management is more of an issue for them. If you burden him with superfluous work corners may get cut.

Mac's work.

Most installers are exceptionally helpful, but please don't make unreasonable requests.

cheers

Munty Flumple
01-06-2009, 23:17
Thanks so much for the reply.

That makes sense. In terms of router - is it best to go for N router - especially as I may upgrade to 50meg?

will they put in a couple of phone points for me or do i have to put in a request for this? and probably a really super dumb question but are phone points same as BT phone points?

frogstamper
01-06-2009, 23:29
As regards the phone points, VM's are the same as BT's, when they put mine in they just sighted it right next to the existing BT one.
All the best.

:welcome:

virgin_tech
02-06-2009, 07:18
always get the best, even though virgin will probeley give you a, N class when you sign up for 50 meg, if your going to buy one get the N now, and then sell the one virgin may give you..

50 meg is excellent, everyone ive installed reaches 47-52 meg and upload of 1.5...

oh btw.. they will not put other telco points in, virgin charge £99per extension.. if they are nice and its easy they will wire up your old sockets

just check they do a decent job, put things where YOU! want them and all the services work. if they say your phone will be on in a few days, this would be a lie, all services should work when they leave.

Peter_
02-06-2009, 07:18
Thanks so much for the reply.

That makes sense. In terms of router - is it best to go for N router - especially as I may upgrade to 50meg?

will they put in a couple of phone points for me or do i have to put in a request for this? and probably a really super dumb question but are phone points same as BT phone points?
If you upgrade to 50Mb then you will get a free Netgear wireless N router included in the deal but both that and the G router will work with your MAC but to be honest I personally would purchase an Airport router from your local dealer as they are plug and play.

Munty Flumple
03-06-2009, 10:56
Thanks guys. I don't need a modem AND a router do I? thought they were the same thing. apologies for dumbness!

virgin_tech
04-06-2009, 18:43
virgin do not do a modem-wireless router, (for some reason) every other bb company does, except virgin.

they only install a moden the wireless router, even though maybe purchased from them maybe left to you to install

as the virgin installers or techs dont get training or pay for installing routers

Munty Flumple
04-06-2009, 19:18
I have a Netgear N Modem Router for ADSL through telephone line - will that no longer work? Do they need a MAC code by the way?

moaningmags
04-06-2009, 19:58
Check the router settings page to see if it allows the option of 'Always on connection' dynamic ip address or using dhcp.

No MAC codes required for cable.

virgin_tech
04-06-2009, 20:09
only a virgin modem will work, so your modem/router will not, unless this has a capability to turn off the modem and just use the router part

moaningmags = not quite sure what you mean about no MAC codes for cable, but the MAC address on the modem is needed and paired to an account

moaningmags
04-06-2009, 20:27
When people switch from one provider to another on ADSL it requires a MAC (migration authorisation code, I think it's called), I was pointing out this process isn't applicable to cable.

Peter_
04-06-2009, 20:32
the MAC address on the modem is needed and paired to an account
This only used to be on EX-NTL but is no longer applicable and it makes calls much easier.

virgin_tech
04-06-2009, 20:34
ah.. i see.. lol

Peter_
04-06-2009, 20:35
ah.. i see.. lol
So so so much easier as they were a pain in the you know what:D