PDA

View Full Version : Unidentified network

johnemyr
31-05-2009, 10:55
I have just installed a Netgear WNR2000 wireless router and now I am having problems connecting to the internet. It works sometimes but on other occasions it says unidentified network and fails to connect. I have 2 laptops connected to this router and the problem solving diagram shows that the connection between the laptops and the router is OK but the connection between the router and the net has an X on it. I was connected with a Buffalo wireless router previously and had very little problem. Can anyone point me in the direction of a solution to this problem.

Peter_
31-05-2009, 11:05
First pinhole reset your router.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

First you need to fully uninstall the Netgear software from your computer, by first going to the system tray by the clock on desktop and exiting the wireless manager, then go to start > control panel >unistall programs> now unistall the wireless manager from here then exit .

Next ensure the router is on and take a pen or a paperclip and look on the back of the router and you will see a small round hole big enough for the pen to go into press the reset button in this hole for approx 10 seconds then switch off the router and modem

------------------------------------------------------------

Set up using an ethernet cable
-----------------------------------------------------------

connect your laptop direct to the router in port 1to 4>open internet explorer>in the address bar put http://192.168.1.1/ when the login screen appears put in the username : admin and the passphrase : password> the Netgear router page will now appear, down the left side click on Wireless settings>now name your network, something you remember and replace the passphrase with a new one at least 8 characters long and click apply, wait for it to finish updating and close the page.

disconnect cable from laptop and router, ensure inbuilt wireless switched on, go to system tray and look for connect to a network icon click it and find your network name, click connect put in your passphrase and when it says connected open a browser page and you should be connected.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Or you can try this way wirelessly
------------------------------------------------------------------

Do the pinhole reset as above first.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Connect to wireless network. The network will be called "netgear" the passphrase (WPA key) is preinstall.

2. Once connected open a web browser. You will be presented with a setup page. Enter a new network name and password, ignore everything else, click apply. You will be prompted for a username and password - ignore it and close the browser.

3. Connect to the wireless network using you new network name and passphrase.

4. Happy surfing.

It is actually quicker than running the set up cd.

johnemyr
31-05-2009, 20:38
Thanks for the detailed reply. At the moment I seem to be able to connect OK but if any more problems I will try your solution. Two questions though, what do you mean by the wireless manager in the systems tray, is it the one that says what you are connected to? and I've had a look in the unistall list but can't find anything that refers to anything wireless.

Peter_
31-05-2009, 22:49
Thanks for the detailed reply. At the moment I seem to be able to connect OK but if any more problems I will try your solution. Two questions though, what do you mean by the wireless manager in the systems tray, is it the one that says what you are connected to? and I've had a look in the unistall list but can't find anything that refers to anything wireless.
The Netgear software is what I am refering to, sorry more used to posting details about the Netgear wgr614 router.

moaningmags
31-05-2009, 23:55
Now and again my laptop has the unidentified network message when connecting to my router. I click on the red cross, tell it to get a new ip address then it connects.

johnemyr
01-06-2009, 06:33
The only reference to Netgear that I can find is when I click Computer and then the C drive. It shows up in that list. Should I delete this file and then start again?

Peter_
01-06-2009, 07:55
The only reference to Netgear that I can find is when I click Computer and then the C drive. It shows up in that list. Should I delete this file and then start again?
If it is not in the Add/remove programs or Programs and features it should be ok.