PDA

View Full Version : Problem With The NetGear Router

ethan103
30-05-2009, 17:15
Ok, im on the 50 Mb service and got sent the Netgear Router.

Bassically it work fine untill today.

It wont establish an internet connection.

Phoned up VM, they say the Modem is trying to connect to the router but the router wont accept an IP address nor will it connect.

Phoned up Netgear and they simply say its VM fault.

So i dont know what to do really.

The Internet light on the router stays green for 5 secounds or so then changes to orange and there is no internet.

Works fine if the Modem is directly connected to Computer but i need wireless.

I have tried resetin the router from the back and on the computer via system restore on the router webpage.

Can anyone help?

(Also if people can reccommend any other routers)

GazCBG
30-05-2009, 17:23
I would go back to Netgear and don't take a no for an answer.
As if it works direct, it can't be VM.

Do you have an old router you can put in place to test, as my old Linksys wireless G did around 44mb via a wired network?

Can you connect to 192.168.1.1 (the router) via the browser, if you can, you could try cloning your computer mac, see if that works.
Have you got a spare ethernet cable you could try between the router and cable modem, just incase it that.

ethan103
30-05-2009, 17:28
I would go back to Netgear and don't take a no for an answer.
As if it works direct, it can't be VM.

Do you have an old router you can put in place to test?

Can you connect to 192.168.1.1 (the router) via the browser, if you can you could try cloning your computer mac, see if that works.
Have you got a spare ethernet cable you could try between the router and cable modem, just incase it that.

No old router.

i have tried the computer mac and does not work.

tried ethernets, does not work.

GazCBG
30-05-2009, 17:30
I would go back to Netgear and tell them all this and don't take a no for an answer.
I just had my router changed by them, but it a lot of messing around.

EDIT
If you want router recommended, you could try posting in: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/87/

ethan103
30-05-2009, 17:34
I would go back to Netgear and tell them all this and don't take a no for an answer.
I just had my router changed by them, but it a lot of messing around.

EDIT
If you want router recommended, you could try posting in: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/87/

wow, phoned 8 times, line gets cut off...

GazCBG
30-05-2009, 17:40
oh right I know it an offshore callcenter.
You are dialling: 0844 875 4000
Then Opt 1 (I think for support)
Then press 4 (it is a hidden option)

Or you could register the router at Negear site: https://my.netgear.com/ and send a support email via that.

Other than that I am not sure.

ethan103
30-05-2009, 17:51
Ok, After 13 Calls to VM and 11 to Netgear, VM have decided to send me a new router.

They say its free but no doubt they will charge me for it.

My ears are hurting after phoning around for almost 3 hours.

---------- Post added at 16:51 ---------- Previous post was at 16:50 ----------

oh right I know it an offshore callcenter.
You are dialling: 0844 875 4000
Then Opt 1 (I think for support)
Then press 4 (it is a hidden option)

Or you could register the router at Negear site: https://my.netgear.com/ and send a support email via that.

Other than that I am not sure.

Yes i did that number with hidden option 4.

Thanks for your help anyway :)

Peter_
30-05-2009, 19:36
Ok, After 13 Calls to VM and 11 to Netgear, VM have decided to send me a new router.

They say its free but no doubt they will charge me for it.

My ears are hurting after phoning around for almost 3 hours.

---------- Post added at 16:51 ---------- Previous post was at 16:50 ----------

Yes i did that number with hidden option 4.

Thanks for your help anyway :)
You will not be charged for the replacement and I am surprised that it took so long to get someone to accept the issue and replace it.

Someone should have taken ownership of this fault and took the time to get that router replaced, it is annoying to me when I read of customers treated in this way.

ethan103
30-05-2009, 20:05
You will not be charged for the replacement and I am surprised that it took so long to get someone to accept the issue and replace it.

Someone should have taken ownership of this fault and took the time to get that router replaced, it is annoying to me when I read of customers treated in this way.

Well, I asked to get put throught to the 50 Mb team once connected.

Each time the person said "this is 50 Mb support".

Next once i gave my account number and explained about the modem i was using all of a sudden the person says:

Sorry i am not trained for this and i will put you throught to the 50 Mb team.

Then i have to repeat my stroy.

Sometimes i dont even get put throught to them and i just get circled back to a standard "tech support person".

Peter_
30-05-2009, 21:22
Well, I asked to get put throught to the 50 Mb team once connected.

Each time the person said "this is 50 Mb support".

Next once i gave my account number and explained about the modem i was using all of a sudden the person says:

Sorry i am not trained for this and i will put you throught to the 50 Mb team.

Then i have to repeat my stroy.

Sometimes i dont even get put throught to them and i just get circled back to a standard "tech support person".
That is not how it should happen as the who take 50Mb calls are ring-fenced so only they answer 50Mb calls and all other untrained agents are able to transfer them to the correct queue.

ethan103
31-05-2009, 13:31
That is not how it should happen as the who take 50Mb calls are ring-fenced so only they answer 50Mb calls and all other untrained agents are able to transfer them to the correct queue.

I dont understand why they dont have a different option for 50 Mb customers.

I mean its alot easier to deal with and you dont have to give details twice.

Or is there an option and i just dont know of it?

Peter_
31-05-2009, 13:39
I dont understand why they dont have a different option for 50 Mb customers.

I mean its alot easier to deal with and you dont have to give details twice.

Or is there an option and i just dont know of it?
You should just be transferred internally to the correct queue.

You could always give this a try in this link http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34805212-post2.html

ethan103
31-05-2009, 13:43
You should just be transferred internally to the correct queue.

You could always give this a try in this link http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34805212-post2.html

Tried that and still no luck.

Out of the many times i phoned VM, i did eventually get put throught to the right, english agent.

She told me that the Router is refusing to accept an IP from the Modem even thought the modem is trying to give one.

The router simply says that the Modem has a Static IP and wants me to Key in the Ip Address, Gateway, DNS Server etc,

So Netgear dont know whats going on and VM dont know whats going on....

Peter_
31-05-2009, 13:45
Tried that and still no luck.

Out of the many times i phoned VM, i did eventually get put throught to the right, english agent.

She told me that the Router is refusing to accept an IP from the Modem even thought the modem is trying to give one.

The router simply says that the Modem has a Static IP and wants me to Key in the Ip Address, Gateway, DNS Server etc,

So Netgear dont know whats going on and VM dont know whats going on....
Sounds like the router is bricked or similar and they need to replace it.