PDA

View Full Version : Changing from Virgin Media Cable 10MB to ADSL2 ~4MBS

ecence
29-05-2009, 16:36
Over the last half-year or so, ive noticed some real problems with my Virgin 10MB Cable connection.

One of the main problems, which effects me the most during Online gaming is Packet Loss..

The time is 4:25PM and I have just done this ping of a local UK gaming server.

C:\Documents and Settings\ecence>ping 81.19.221.11

Pinging 81.19.221.11 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 81.19.221.11: bytes=32 time=50ms TTL=120
Reply from 81.19.221.11: bytes=32 time=46ms TTL=120
Reply from 81.19.221.11: bytes=32 time=18ms TTL=120
Reply from 81.19.221.11: bytes=32 time=16ms TTL=120

50MS and 46MS here are the problem, and I have absolutely no idea what is causing it. I've 3 neighbours houses in my street who are on Virgin Cable and they all have similar problems. Although it doesn't effect them directly since they are just browsing, for me, this is a huge jump.

Towards 7PM to 10PM it gets worse.. pinging an average between 30 and 80.

I've called up numerous times asking for solutions, they wont send an engineer out even though I've proven that it isn't client sided.

My question for you guys is.. If I was to switch to an ADSL2 connection, which I have checked is ~4MB in my area.. will this same problem that happens with cable persist.

I've come to the conclusion that this "lag" is due to many people in my area using the Cable. So, in theory, ADSL should not have this problem?

Can somone confirm me here.. ty :)

dilli-theclaw
29-05-2009, 16:42
Well all I know is I went from a cable connection to a virgin adsl connection and as the nthw clan members will tell you my ping in games is abysmal.

ecence
29-05-2009, 16:51
But my main problem here I think is due to the fact that my connection is shared, and I've been told by Virgin that my area has one of the biggest user range from my specific Exchange.

If I go through the Phone Line it is a private connection.. hence I won't lose any bandwidth to people downloading in my street all day?

Ignitionnet
29-05-2009, 17:05
Well all I know is I went from a cable connection to a virgin adsl connection and as the nthw clan members will tell you my ping in games is abysmal.

Given that you're on Virgin ADSL that's not surprising, few worse choices. Not ADSL's fault as a technology just that Virgin's product based on it is awful.

---------- Post added at 17:05 ---------- Previous post was at 17:04 ----------

If I go through the Phone Line it is a private connection.. hence I won't lose any bandwidth to people downloading in my street all day?

The bandwidth is always shared somewhere, however if you choose the right ADSL ISP you will have pings that are superior and little to no packet loss.

http://www.samknows.com can assist in your search.

dilli-theclaw
29-05-2009, 17:08
Yip - Luckily my 12months are nearly up with virgin adsl. Soon I can go elsewhere :)

ecence
29-05-2009, 17:27
Broadbandings.. I've been talking to a few people about UK Online. I'm thinking of going with there 8Mbit package..

I know people with this in different areas and they have very good ping/latency during ping tests.

I know Sky is absolute dog, but UK online I've heard good things about.

I'll also add that this is my exchange.

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/MRSTE

Please give feedback.

davedarave01uk
29-05-2009, 18:38
Ecence you could if you wanted go on LLU using the Cable & Wireless network, There is no BT profile to contend with and the place I am using is unlimited. You could get interleaving turned off for gaming aswell if need be.

Let me know if your interested and I will forward the details

ecence
29-05-2009, 18:40
Well the thing is we've just payed out 120 pound for the BT line to be put in today, so I think we definantly want to go for ADSL2. What is LLU?

davedarave01uk
29-05-2009, 18:49
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_loop_unbundling

Means BT are not involved so much, LLU can be used on your BT phone line as I am using it now.

---------- Post added at 18:49 ---------- Previous post was at 18:47 ----------

Infact you should be able to get Be broadband

https://www.bethere.co.uk/

ecence
29-05-2009, 18:52
I've heard preety bad things about Bethere for gaming.. Infact one of my good friends switched from Bethere to www.UKonline.net and now he achieves very very nice speeds.

I am preety confident that I want to go with Ukonline, but I still do not know if it will fix my problem I am having with VM..

The problem is PACKET LOSS and bad performence at peak hours.

davedarave01uk
29-05-2009, 19:34
Well I am using http://www.vivaciti.co.uk/

I have interleaving turned off and I get a ping of around 10 to 100 miles away, However I use Virgin for my Xbox360 has it's quicker and better for me. My partner uses the Vivaciti connection

---------- Post added at 19:34 ---------- Previous post was at 18:55 ----------

Forgot to ask what phone package did you get with BT? Because they where doing free connection if you took the 1st package on a 18 month contract

Ignitionnet
29-05-2009, 19:42
Broadbandings.. I've been talking to a few people about UK Online. I'm thinking of going with there 8Mbit package..

I know people with this in different areas and they have very good ping/latency during ping tests.

I know Sky is absolute dog, but UK online I've heard good things about.

I'll also add that this is my exchange.

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/MRSTE

Please give feedback.

Sky and UK Online run on exactly the same network, just a few slightly different settings which add maybe 4ms on Sky.

The Sky/UK Online network is very good. If you are looking for a low latency connection and not too worried about downloading the UK Online 8Mbit product will be excellent.

Be/O2 may also be a good option for you, especially if you have an O2 phone. UK Online will be a slightly better service but if Be/O2 have no issues on your exchange it may save you a few quid to consider their options.

ecence
29-05-2009, 20:46
I used to use Sky Broadband in a different area, different house.. about 5 minutes down the road.

When pinging almost all UK Ip address it was a constant 80-90.. and everyone I talk to that have had Sky Broadband say the same thing.. whereas the people I talk to on UK online ping 10-20ms.. are you sure they are on the same network?

Tezcatlipoca
29-05-2009, 20:54
I used to use Sky Broadband in a different area, different house.. about 5 minutes down the road.

When pinging almost all UK Ip address it was a constant 80-90.. and everyone I talk to that have had Sky Broadband say the same thing.. whereas the people I talk to on UK online ping 10-20ms.. are you sure they are on the same network?

They are. Sky Broadband & UK Online both use Easynet... which is owned by Sky.

I have Sky BB Max, & have no problems at all. Although they use Interleaving rather than Fastpath, if you tell them you're a gamer they will lower your "max delays" for you if you ask nicely.

Broadbandings knows the techy stuff, if you need more detail. I'd trust his advice.

ecence
29-05-2009, 21:11
Will I have to consult UK Online about that interleaving?

davedarave01uk
30-05-2009, 00:40
I would imagine so.

ecence
30-05-2009, 16:52
And how would I ask? I'm still not quite sure what interleaving is.. but I imagine it was the thing that made me get 80MS constant on sky.

davedarave01uk
30-05-2009, 17:25
It's ping times. When Interleaving is on your line is more stable, When it's off your pings are faster which is perfect for gaming.

You will just have to ring up tech support and ask for fast path/Interleaving off

rashlan
30-05-2009, 19:10
And how would I ask? I'm still not quite sure what interleaving is.. but I imagine it was the thing that made me get 80MS constant on sky.
Don't forget to remove the bell wire....it makes a really big difference with the speed at which you can conncet. btw were you connected to the master socket last time you were with sky?