PDA

View Full Version : moving home question

weemax
29-05-2009, 14:11
Hi all :)

I have had 20MB Virgin BB since August last year. I am now moving out of that house & into a new house which isn't in a cable area.

So, I had to telephone BT. I have to pay £122.50 (payable on my first bill) to have the line turned on & the engineer will be out mid June to have a look/activate the line. I qualify for BT Basic which is £4.50 line rental a month, so Bt are sending out the appropriate forms.

I then phoned Virgin this morning to tell them i was moving & I am just going to stay with them for ADSL. They told me they can do phone free evening calls & BB up to 8MB for £15 odd a month with first 2 months free & 3rd month half price.

Virgin said they will ring me the day after the BT engineer visits me to sort the BB.

What I want to know is what happens re my line rental with BT? What about the BT basic forms that will be here in a few weeks? Or will Virgin take over as soon as the engineer comes?

Im assuming the line will be "active" when the engineer turn it on & that if i was going to stay with BT they would need to wait to they got my forms back before they gave me a line i could "ring out from"? So im assuming when BT activate the line Virgin can give me a service i can ring out from & ill ahve nothing more to do with BT?

I was on the phone the other day to BT enquiring about what i could get & they chap seemed right peeved off that VM were going to "piggyback" the line. I know what he means now lol

Oh VM also said they will credit me with the £122.50 as im an existing customer. Cant beat that!
Hope someone can help!

Paul K
29-05-2009, 15:30
It may be that only your calls are going through VM and you pay BT for line rental, this is one of the options offered by Sky so VM may do the same.

lugzzz
29-05-2009, 15:45
don't pay for your bt technician to come out!!
my friend works for bt in the call centre and told me tho other week when i was having it done to say that i had recieved a leaflet saying i can have it for free (which i hadn't) but they give you the call out and installation for free, no questions or proof of leaflet asked.

its worth a try, it worked for me.

weemax
29-05-2009, 19:22
@ Paul, thanks very much m8 for the help, that is certainly one thing I didn't think about, ill get it clarified when i speak to Virgin next month :)

@ lugzzz, cheers m8, unfortunately the free connection doesn't work if you get BT basic. It runs until the end of June. Thanks for the info though!

BenMcr
29-05-2009, 19:31
I'd check about CPS services on BT Basic - I can't see them being allowed

weemax
29-05-2009, 21:01
sorry im thick. CPS? Like ADSL?

BenMcr
29-05-2009, 21:41
CPS = Carrier Pre Select. It is what Virgin use to route your phone calls over their system so they can bill you for them