PDA

View Full Version : 20Mb using 3 channels

broadbandking
28-05-2009, 23:34
I had the 50Mb for a while on trial and have now got my 20Mb back as the trial has ended, I know 50Mb uses bonded channels but today I looked at the config as I kept the 50Mb modem and it seems the moden is using 3 channels on my 20Mb connection, my question should it be like that or should I only be using 1 channel.

Peter_
29-05-2009, 06:46
I had the 50Mb for a while on trial and have now got my 20Mb back as the trial has ended, I know 50Mb uses bonded channels but today I looked at the config as I kept the 50Mb modem and it seems the moden is using 3 channels on my 20Mb connection, my question should it be like that or should I only be using 1 channel.
That modem is designed to use 3 downstreams so it will continue to do so and all that will happen is the config will change.

Better for you because if one downstream fails you will still have a connection.

Sirius
29-05-2009, 06:47

Same here.

Peter_
29-05-2009, 06:48
Same here.
Are you back on 20Mb now?

broadbandking
29-05-2009, 06:58
He will be as the trial has finished well the trial we was doing was until May and we had it until yesterday.

popper
29-05-2009, 07:07
That modem is designed to use 3 downstreams so it will continue to do so and all that will happen is the config will change.

Better for you because if one downstream fails you will still have a connection.

No its not, at least not if its one of the official Docsis3 chipset modem SOC modems.

to be official DS3 and pass the certification, it NEEDS to be designed to and be capable of useing at least 4 downstream channels, and 4 upstream channels.

Only NON DS3 certified "Pre DS3" has only 3 downstream channel capability.

are we to take it you verifyed your "That modem is designed to use 3 downstreams" with tech managers ?, and if so, are we to assume VM are infact trying to pass off old antiquated, cheap PreDS3" hardware modems as official spec DS3 modems!

Peter_
29-05-2009, 07:12
No its not, at least not if its one of the official Docsis3 chipset modem SOC modems.

to be official DS3 and pass the certification, it NEEDS to be designed to and be capable of useing at least 4 downstream channels, and 4 upstream channels

Only NON DS3 certified "Pre DS3" has only 3 downstream channel capability.

are we to take it you verifyed your "That modem is designed to use 3 downstreams" with tech managers ?, and if so, are we to assume VM are infact trying to pass off old antiquated, cheap PreDS3" hardware modems as official spec DS3 modems!
It is the official Ambit modem for 50Mb and Virgin only use the 3 downstreams not the 4th one on the end which as you know would be better and more stable, and Virgin only use 1 upstream even though it can use 4.

All I was clarifying was that it will still use the 3 channels that it used for 50Mb as it is designed to do it that way.

I take it you just got out of bed and misconstrued my post.:D

Broadbandking and Sirius will both be able to confirm that they are using the Ambit modem as they were both triallists for 50Mb.

popper
29-05-2009, 07:19
coffee, need coffee :sleep:

someone else needs coffee too it seems ;)

broadbandking
29-05-2009, 08:07
Yep we are using the ambit however I did use a moto modem for 50Mb aswell which was ugly and not very good.

Peter_
29-05-2009, 08:44
coffee, need coffee :sleep:

someone else needs coffee too it seems ;)

I guessed as much:D

I was awake and showered but appreciated the input anyway.;)

broadbandking
29-05-2009, 08:46
Now kiss and make up you too lol

Peter_
29-05-2009, 08:52
Now kiss and make up you too lol
No need Popper was 100% correct in his description and posted without a caffeine hit.;)

---------- Post added at 08:52 ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 ----------

Yep we are using the ambit however I did use a moto modem for 50Mb aswell which was ugly and not very good.
I have seen the pictures of that one, a bit of a dog, the Webstar and Netgear were better looking but not used either.

broadbandking
29-05-2009, 09:25
Only used and seen the ambit and moto modem