PDA

View Full Version : HELP - which co-ax?

splatharri
28-05-2009, 11:51
Hi all,

I'm looking to replace the length of co-ax cable that carries the TV and broadband signal from the grey NTL box on the outside wall of my house. (This really does not warrant a service engineer to attend).

My question is:
What type of cable and sockets/couplings should I ask for (or can I buy the cable complete) and should I be able to get it independent of Virgin?

Many thanks for any help

Lee

Chris
28-05-2009, 11:53
Technically you're not meant to make any changes to your cabling at all, so Virgin will certainly not sell you any. Can you clarify, exactly which run of cable are you wanting to replace? Is there a box on your inside wall or is there just one cable coming from the external box, through the wall and on through the house?

splatharri
28-05-2009, 12:19
The cable I want to replace runs from the grey box outside to the white hub on the inside wall. The cable has identical connectors at each end with a hexagonal tightening nut.

Chris
28-05-2009, 13:08
This is the stuff you need, although probably more than you need:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=227277

Consider buying and using crimp-on f-plugs rather than the screw-ons that come in the kit. You will get a more reliable connection. If you mess it up you risk degrading your signal and having to get a tech out, resulting in a £99 charge on your next bill.

splatharri
28-05-2009, 13:26
Thanks for the advice Chris :)

I have a brand new length of satellite cable (the kind with what appears to be 'fibre-optic outer core around the copper wire) does this sound like the correct type of cable?

Kymmy
28-05-2009, 14:02
If there's a problem with that cable then VM should repair it for free (unless you've damaged it yourself)

Why do you think that this cable needs replacing? Also beware of altering the length of the cable as that could impact on signal