PDA

View Full Version : How to get VM to run cable through BT underground trunking

tenjin
27-05-2009, 16:28
Hi,

I'm in a service area, my neighbours either side have VM installed. The issue I have is that I am at the end of a shared drived. The VM sales system has my property marked down as "un-serviceable".

All other wire-based services (e.g. BT line, analogue TV from years ago) come into my property through an underground trunking / pipe that comes up out of the ground next to my front door, and termintates in or near the BT box out in the street.

Back in the NTL analogue days (before I owned the house) NTL ran their cable to the house through this trunking.

I've spoken with BT Wholesale and they have confirmed that they are happy for VM to use the trunking, and that it is an established practice.

I'm happy (within reason) to pay additional installation charges.

The problem is at the VM end. I've spoken to 8 people in the last 24 hours, and while they all say "the system says your property isn't serviceable" half of them said they thought it was okay to use the underground pipe to run the cable through, put me on hold to sort out the order then cut me off, and the other half said "there's nothing I can do, the system says your property isn't serviceable"...

I'm pulling my hair out here. I want to have VM installed, and I want to take on all of the services (internet, TV and phone), but there seems to be nobody I can speak to about this atypical installation.

Can any of you suggest how I can work around this please? Do you have contact details for anyone higher than customer services / sales?

Cheers

Darren.

Stuart
27-05-2009, 16:38
Not entirely sure how you do it, but I'd suggest getting VM to send out a site survey team. They are a team who go an physically inspect a property to see if cable is viable.

tenjin
27-05-2009, 16:48
Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I've requested a "spotter" to come out a couple of times, and request that they call me. However, I never hear anything from them.

I'm guessing it's because they take one look at the property and say it's not serviceable. The mechanism for requesting a "spotter" is automated and there is no facility (it's an answering machine) to leave enough information about the existing underground trunking.

It's all very frustrating. I know this could technically be done (I could do it myself), I just can't get through to the right people to get it sorted.

Cheers

Darren.

jungleguy
28-05-2009, 10:18
I very much doubt you'll be able to use bt's duct, it also doesn't connect to the VM network. You need to convince the telesales advisor (good Luck) to fill out a spotters form, they'll be able to include you're extra notes, NOT the answer machine.
Site survey team is actually just an installer, they generally see the glass half empty and will non serve it, a spotter will put installers under pressure to carry out the work.

ryminister
28-05-2009, 20:25
I'd get it in,no problem. Straight up the BT duct