PDA

View Full Version : Sky activation signal?

dragon
26-05-2009, 22:43
Basically Following on from my other thread, I've bought a second hand sky+ box, plugged it up today and called sky to re-activate my Movies/Sports as well as the recording capablty.

Sky said between 2minutes and 4 hours for the activation signal to come though
This was about 19:30 ish and so far it hasn't :(

Is there anything I can do to speed it up, also they never asked for the S/N of the box or anything just the viewing card number and the standard stuff to verify it was indeed my sky account.

My STB isn't plugged into the phone, not sure if that makes any difference.

zing_deleted
26-05-2009, 23:01
the stb thing slows it down iirc. If the modem is connected it hits a lot quicker

dragon
26-05-2009, 23:16
Tried connecting the modem, no difference so I phoned them

Turns out the first person I spoke to didn't register the sky+ stb on their system :rolleyes:

Graham M
26-05-2009, 23:27
If it's a second hand box it may also have out of date software, you can force an update by plugging the phone line in. turning the box off at the mains, holding the back-up button on the front of the box and returning power to the box while the back-up button is held in, you can let go of the button once the software update screen shows

dragon
27-05-2009, 00:22
It's working now, turns out the first time I called it hadn't been registered on skys system properly. The person I spoke to the 2nd time took more more details and it was done about 30mins later.

It's only an old box i think 40gb hdd but least i can record (providing i figure out the art of dummy recordings) (probably have a bigger HDD somewhere)

Might get around to running that 2nd cable soon then probably upgrade to sky HD.

Paul K
27-05-2009, 13:50
Sounds about right, we quite often have to deal with issues that arise from other people just not doing their job right in the first place. You can install a new Hard disk into that box quite easily, there is a walk through on Skyuser if you need info.

dragon
27-05-2009, 20:51
Sounds about right, we quite often have to deal with issues that arise from other people just not doing their job right in the first place. You can install a new Hard disk into that box quite easily, there is a walk through on Skyuser if you need info.

I might have to, seems ever since sky activated the + functionality i've been getting momentary blips when watching TV, I suspect the orginal HDD might be on its way out as they don't see the same as you'd usually get if it was the reception

E.g the picture will freeze for a moment and the sound will break up then it will be fine. Person I got it from said it was defiantly fine before I got it and since it's a friend/colleague I believe him. It wouldn't suprise me if it took a wack on the journey back from work (I take the train)

Edit:

Haven't changed the drive yet (people watching TV) but i did turn instant rewind off to see if that makes a difference

dragon
27-05-2009, 23:46
Tried a different drive actually that was worse couldn't chase play tv at all it was just unwatchable.

I'm still getting problems with the picture breaking up with the + box, I'm thinking it might be the signal after all as I was watching the signal strengh and it does occasional nosedive by a good quarter or so to just under half :(

Quality bar doesn't move tho.

Paul K
28-05-2009, 08:31
LNB replacement? Either that or is the dish not fully secured and moves now and then slightly?

dragon
28-05-2009, 10:09
LNB replacement? Either that or is the dish not fully secured and moves now and then slightly?

Don't think so it was fine with the original stb (which i still have) and no-ones been near the dish (still only have single feed hooked up)

Hope it's not the LNB i had sky change it a few months back after having problems with the reception.

Graham M
28-05-2009, 10:41
Perhaps you degraded the connection with the F-Connector when you unscrewed it from the old box, you could try removing and then re-screwing the F-Connector onto the cable (assuming it's a screw-on type)

dragon
29-05-2009, 00:19
Perhaps you degraded the connection with the F-Connector when you unscrewed it from the old box, you could try removing and then re-screwing the F-Connector onto the cable (assuming it's a screw-on type)

Don't think it's a screw type as theres no obvious way to unscrew it.

I'm thinking perhaps my signal isn't that great and it just so happens that the standard box has a more sensitive tuner in it and can cope better

Turkey Machine
29-05-2009, 00:36
Nearly all F-coax cable has a screw connector, it's rare for it not to have one.

dragon
29-05-2009, 01:25
Nearly all F-coax cable has a screw connector, it's rare for it not to have one.

So it is... you know I never even noticed that :eek:

One end I couldn't seem to unscrew but the other end I did manage to take the connector off an then reattach it (suggesting it might have been lose) but it didn't make a difference

ITV appears largely ok it's sky movies that are suffering a fair bit :td:

Edit is it worth replacing the cable with something like this? http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=9376

dragon
29-05-2009, 12:55
Well tried a new cable, no difference so going to go back to my orginal sky box as I know that was working

That is I would if Sky manage to pair the card again apperently their systems were upgrading at the time i called.

Edit:

Managed to change back to standard sky although they did say something about a 12month sky + subscription but as good will they'd cancel it. Was never told that getting sky+ added would tie it in for 12months, as if that was the case id just have got a box off sky themselves.