PDA

View Full Version : 50Mb Self Install?

Nano Jake
26-05-2009, 14:21
Hi,

I just ordered 50mb as an upgrade from my current 20mb. I had to pay £50 for activation and engineer install.:shocked:

I wasnt given the option of self install and wondered if anyone has installed the new modem/router without paying the engineer call out charge.

Jake.

Kymmy
26-05-2009, 14:22
Self install is not available on 50Mb

KnightRider
26-05-2009, 14:25
Same with V+. Obviously its a money spinner as its not rocket science to install them & ring up to activate modem or card!

Jazz
26-05-2009, 14:30
They told me on the phone only in certain areas this option is available and funnily enough that doesn't include my area :)

Nano Jake
26-05-2009, 14:30
Ok thanks. Can anyone tell me whats involved? is it just a modem swap? Can the VM router be setup by me?

v0id
26-05-2009, 17:04
I bet if you wait another year or so the price will come down, with little or no "activation" fees

Jazz
26-05-2009, 17:17
You could say the same for everything though, in a few years time the 50mb virgin could be one of their basic packages :)

broadbandking
26-05-2009, 18:48
The tech will install the modem check the levels then install the router if you want him to.

Zhadnost
26-05-2009, 19:31
I was offered free installation by the rep on the phone (call recorded) but I have still been charged £50. (figures).

chamelion
27-05-2009, 01:02
i paid no activation fees :) negotiated it as part of my contract renewal. just scheduled the upgrade today for next week, only pay the increaesd monthly. :)

broadbandking
27-05-2009, 09:30
i paid no activation fees :) negotiated it as part of my contract renewal. just scheduled the upgrade today for next week, only pay the increaesd monthly. :)

I'd check your bill mate.

Ignitionnet
27-05-2009, 10:04

I see some of the retentions staff still struggle with that extremely difficult skill of reading, or the skill of not coming out with BS. VM still paying out a bonus for retaining customers I guess.

Zhadnost
27-05-2009, 10:30
Mine wasn't a retentions bod, it waas a sales bod.

chamelion
27-05-2009, 11:13
I see some of the retentions staff still struggle with that extremely difficult skill of reading, or the skill of not coming out with BS. VM still paying out a bonus for retaining customers I guess.

hardly a bonus relative to what they used to offer. last year i had £10 off my monthly bill each month, summing to £120 over the year. this year i'm paying pretty much exactly what a new customer would get in terms of monthly and they've waived the £50 installation fees. from my perspective, they're giving me £70 less of loyalty credit this year.

additionally if you actually go through the sign up process online (e.g. XXL broadband M phone M TV) they waive the £50 - the £30 is set as free and the £20 is charged but you get a £20 discount for signing up online. meaning a brand new customer would get the same deal as me who's been loyal to VM for years.

AND that's not even accounting for £65 quidco new customers can get, which means they in fact pay £65 LESS per year than I do.

all about the new customers isn't it!

---------- Post added at 10:13 ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 ----------

i will and will report back :) i have it in writing that the upgrade is free. when i called up sales they told me i'd still have to pay. i hung up on them, emailed the guy in retentions who had sent me the email saying it was a free upgrade and told him to honor it, otherwise they were in violation of the contract and i'd lodge a complaint with CISAS. i got a call back in under an hour from him saying that he had put my upgrade through for free and they'll be at my house next wednesday.

Ignitionnet
28-05-2009, 10:31
hardly a bonus relative to what they used to offer. last year i had £10 off my monthly bill each month, summing to £120 over the year. this year i'm paying pretty much exactly what a new customer would get in terms of monthly and they've waived the £50 installation fees. from my perspective, they're giving me £70 less of loyalty credit this year.

I was referring to the bonuses VM staff get for retaining customers. Loyalty credits are something ntl especially overdid it on and a reason why their average revenue was dropping and so generally rubbish so hardly surprising that they would reduce the scope of these. Some of the deals people were on were crazy, agents doing and offering anything to do their deal. Even 10GBP a month on a say 40GBP a month bill is a 25% discount. If the deals are in their own right competitive with the market place there are few incentives to increase discounts too much further.

additionally if you actually go through the sign up process online (e.g. XXL broadband M phone M TV) they waive the £50 - the £30 is set as free and the £20 is charged but you get a £20 discount for signing up online. meaning a brand new customer would get the same deal as me who's been loyal to VM for years.

AND that's not even accounting for £65 quidco new customers can get, which means they in fact pay £65 LESS per year than I do.

all about the new customers isn't it!

Quidco is nothing to do with VM beyond that they are paid commission, they can hardly ask a third party to give you cash for renewing your contract directly with VM.

You are getting the same deal as a new customer from the VM point of view so maybe it's not 'all about the new customers'.