PDA

View Full Version : Changing Sky box?

dragon
25-05-2009, 21:31
I know someone who's upgraded to sky HD so was thinking of buying their old SKY+ box off them.

I only have a single feed cabled up at the moment but I hear you can get around the problem of it not recording by setting a dummy recording to tie up the non existent tuner.

I was thinking of buying it anyway as at the moment I cannot record at all (Problem with the flow style sky boxes and my dvd recorder means the picture shifts to far left) + can't record pin protected movies without being there to enter PIN.

Am I right in saying I'd just plug it in, then pop my viewing card from my regular sky STB in and then presumably I need to tell sky i've changed the box otherwise the movie channels stop working?

Also do I have to request any kind of activation for the recording ability or is that already enabled on all sky cards thesedays anyway.

I have all the Mixes +Movies & sport so as far as i'm aware don't need to pay extra to enable +?

Tezcatlipoca
25-05-2009, 21:40
Hook it up, and phone Sky to pair the viewing card plus to activate the Sky+ features.

Sky+ features are free so long as you have at least a basic Sky subscription.

Yep, the dummy recording method should work. Although of course with only one feed you won't get the full benefit of Sky+.

Have you thought about getting a Dual/Quad LNB fitted & cabled up to give you more than one feed?

dragon
25-05-2009, 21:52
Hook it up, and phone Sky to pair the viewing card plus to activate the Sky+ features.

Sky+ features are free so long as you have at least a basic Sky subscription.

Yep, the dummy recording method should work. Although of course with only one feed you won't get the full benefit of Sky+.

Have you thought about getting a Dual/Quad LNB fitted & cabled up to give you more than one feed?

Yeh I might do that eventually, but it's not my house and the existing feed goes under the floor and then up inside the wall. If i let sky come and install it I suspect they'd just staplegun a cable around the outside of the wall and the homeowner would not be happy.

I plan to get under the floor and run some LAN/Comms cabling at somepoint so will probably put in new cabling for the SKY then (He's ok with that, just doesn't want it slapped in any old how)

Peter_
25-05-2009, 21:57
If i let sky come and install it I suspect they'd just staplegun a cable around the outside of the wall and the homeowner would not be happy.

That the least of your worries, how about a dish and bracket screwed to the wall of the property.

dragon
25-05-2009, 22:01
That the least of your worries, how about a dish and bracket screwed to the wall of the property.

That's already there ;)

it's more internal cabling that he cares about.