PDA

View Full Version : What type of cable?

damiantaylor
21-05-2009, 10:14
Does anybody know what type of cable is used to connect the cable TV box on the outside of my house to the street?
All I know is it is brown and there are 2 cables stuck together. One cable is coaxial and the other contains 4 small wires.
The reason I know this is because it has been cut :(
There is no writing on the cable anywhere as far as I can see and I've searched all over the internet but can't find any.

Can anyone help?

Chris
21-05-2009, 10:17
If your exterior cable is damaged you will need to call faults and have them come out. If it is damaged because it was inadequately buried, they shouldn't make you pay for the repair.

I don't believe you can easily source the correct cable yourself and if you could you wouldn't be able to install it. The cable from the street to your external box contains coax for TV and internet and separate copper wires for the phone.

virgin_tech
21-05-2009, 21:00
what we do for a cut cable is splice them back together, coax and telco wire get repaird and placed in a waterproof orange splice box....

this can only be done by a virgin tech... oh and dont worry about getting charged, it is down to the tech to place a charge and i dont know any that do even if it is ur fault

ryminister
21-05-2009, 21:16
bubble n barrel all the way. Brown siamese ?? thats about 10 years old that drop cable. No charge,just call em.

damiantaylor
19-07-2009, 11:15
I recently had my external cable TV cable accidentally cut and need to get it repaired.
I don't subscribe to cable TV as the house in question is to be let, but Virgin have told me they won't reconnect the cable unless I subscribe for a year!
I explained that I don't actually live at the house but the girl I spoke to didn't seem to understand :dunce:
I'm getting the drive block paved in a few weeks time so would like the cable to be re-connected before then.

My problem is, I want the house cabled up in case future tennants would like to have the service but I don't want to sign up myself for a year. I also don't want the new block paved drive digging up if a future tennant does want the service. It seemes I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place :mad:

Are there any companies out there that will simply re-connect the cable or are Virgin media the only ones allowed to do it?

Thanks for any help!

Kymmy
19-07-2009, 11:24
If it's the cable that goes from the loop outside of the property to the grey box then that would be replaced for free as soon as they sign up for a service, so having the cut cable is neither here nor thier until they want the service, so stop worrying about it ;)

As this post is relevant to your first post I've moved it into the same thread

damiantaylor
19-07-2009, 13:09
If I do that, they'll dig up my soon to be laid block paving, which is why I want to get it sorted sooner rather than later

joglynne
19-07-2009, 13:43
If a conduit was laid under the block paving with a pull thread in it does any one know whether that could be used in the future to take a new cable rather than the tech splicing the existing cut cable? :shrug:

Kymmy
19-07-2009, 13:46
If I do that, they'll dig up my soon to be laid block paving, which is why I want to get it sorted sooner rather than later

Also why would they dig up your paving to run cable to an adjacent property???

If you;re that worried then the conduit that Joglynne mentioned is the best way to go

joglynne
19-07-2009, 14:14
Also why would they dig up your paving to run cable to an adjacent property???

If you;re that worried then the conduit that Joglynne mentioned is the best way to go

I think maybe the OP owns both properties, living in one and letting out the other.

damiantaylor
20-07-2009, 08:20
Laying conduit was exactly what I was thinking....As there's no other way of getting this fixed before my paving is laid, it's seems it's the best I can do!

Thanks everyone

JayJay
20-07-2009, 21:05
Where are you based Damian?

damiantaylor
21-07-2009, 08:48
I live in Wilmslow, which is just south of Manchester

jungleguy
21-07-2009, 09:15
make sure the conduit is rigid and wide enough.

damiantaylor
21-07-2009, 11:23
I was thinking of this Tower heavy gauge 20mm conduit.

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9290688&fh_view_size=50&fh_start_index=50&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB&fh_search=conduit&fh_eds=%c3%9f&fh_refview=search&ts=1248171743531&isSearch=true

Would that be ok?

JayJay
21-07-2009, 23:05
if you was local i would of helped you out.