PDA

View Full Version : Problem in LS1 area

KEMUR
21-05-2009, 09:48
Hi there.

I'm looking for some advice really or a quick fix if someone knows one.
My internet has been down since sunday, I didn't ring till last night because alot of the time it just comes back up.

I'm using a netgearDG834(v2) router and have no internet connectivity at all. I have two computers and they are connected to the network but the internet light isn't on at all.

Virgin have asked me to unscrew a box on my telephone connection point and connect it to an identical port behind that and then tell them what happens.

I was first speaking to a very rude and unhelpful virgin staff member at first and kept getting her. I asked to speak to someone else and she would just say I need to re-dial. That's beside the point.

I finally got through to someone helpful and they went through some connection tests but has now left me with the task I mentioned above.
Thing is there is a sticker on there telling me not to do that (I rent) and that I'll be held liable for any damage.

I think I'll do it but has anybody heard of this problem? I'm really hoping someone knows a fix because I really don't have the time right not to be messing on getting an engineer out if it comes to that.

Peter_
21-05-2009, 09:57
I would advise you to call back and ask to speak to a manager as you should not have been asked to do something like that.

KEMUR
21-05-2009, 10:36
Well the first girl I spoke to who was rude told me that too. I thought it was a strange thing to ask and she was already been snappy and un helpful by this point so I asked to speak to somebody else. She said I'd have to re-dial then I got her again.

She was even more unhelpful this time so I asked to speak to someone else again, then a manager and she just kept saying nobody was available. So trying not to get angry and re-dialled again and got a man this time.

He was much more pleasant but after the checks he carried out he told me to do the same thing. He was saying BT have told them to do this test and it's necessary basically implying that this was necessary on my internet would not be getting fixed. But it's quite strange that two people have told me the same thing if this shouldn't of been asked.

It's really quite distressing. I'm a little ashamed to say that I need to internet but I really do, both for work and I'm doing an online course which I need to finish up.

---------- Post added at 09:36 ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 ----------

Well if anybody has any ideas what might be the problem, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated or if anybody has ever experienced this problem before!:)

Peter_
21-05-2009, 10:40
Call Virgin.net customer services on 0800 052 4329 and complain to them about this.

KEMUR
21-05-2009, 10:45
Call Virgin.net customer services on 0800 052 4329 and complain to them about this.

Well I'm at work right now but I'll certainly do that when I finish. Although that's not the number I rang intially...

I rang... 0845 454 2222. I'll try the number you've provided and hopefully get a better response.

Peter_
21-05-2009, 11:21
Well I'm at work right now but I'll certainly do that when I finish. Although that's not the number I rang intially...

I rang... 0845 454 2222. I'll try the number you've provided and hopefully get a better response.
Thats the Customer Services number I gave you and you can complain to them.

chickendippers
21-05-2009, 12:31
By the sounds of it you are referring to the Virgin National ADSL service and not cable broadband.

In which case, unscrewing the phone socket faceplate and connecting to the test socket is normal procedure to ensure any telephone extensions aren't the cause of the problem. Here are some pictures to make sure you're testing the right thing: http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/troubleshooting/test_socket.shtml

If you need the internet for work, then it would be prudent to cough up for a business level service with an SLA.

KEMUR
21-05-2009, 13:09
By the sounds of it you are referring to the Virgin National ADSL service and not cable broadband.

In which case, unscrewing the phone socket faceplate and connecting to the test socket is normal procedure to ensure any telephone extensions aren't the cause of the problem. Here are some pictures to make sure you're testing the right thing: http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/troubleshooting/test_socket.shtml

If you need the internet for work, then it would be prudent to cough up for a business level service with an SLA.

Ah yes sorry. It is ADSL, cable isn't available in my area. Thanks for the link, it explains alot :)