PDA

View Full Version : bt -left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing?

lauzjp
19-05-2009, 18:57
There is presently an offer of free installation with bt. Even re-installation. Apparently.

So, I went to the bt website for some more info and clarity - as in the 9 years I've been in this flat, there has never been a landline. A kindly assistant 'popped up' and said no, I shouldn't have to pay for re-installation under the current offer - signed up, someone should call me within 72 hours.

Half an hour later, someone phones me from 08000285085 claiming to be from bt - there will be a charge, as there hasn't been a connection for over 3 months - is this ok? I said no, she said she'd cancel my contract, we said bye.

Then I went back to the bt website, just to clarify that this definately is the case - the lady who I spoke to the first time got passed back to me, and she said that 08000285085 isn't a bt number?! :shocked:

So now I've got to phone bt customer services and check the status of my order, but I actually *hate* speaking on the phone, especially when other people are listening. Anton. who I haven't told all this yet. :tiptoe:

very frustrating! :(

joglynne
19-05-2009, 19:07
If you put that number in to saynoto0870 (http://www.saynoto0870.com/numbersearch.php) it comes up as BT Sales /Marketing (overseas)? I wouldn't have thought it possible but looks like an attempted poaching by the sales dept to me. :shrug:

lauzjp
19-05-2009, 20:05
phoned 0800100444 no. and (almost 15 minutes on hold later) said the key phrase "save on connection" lots - rep lady there was also bemused and has done another order, which should cancel out the other one, if it still stands. phew! what a palava.

Anyway, as I have such a rubbish credit score I have to pay £50 deposit which I'll get back in 6 months if we're good. That's still a lot better than £120! https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2009/05/18.gif

Paul K
20-05-2009, 06:21
Sounds like you got a call from one of their agents in India trying sort out the installation but the agent was either not up to speed with the offer or had made a mistake. Shouldn't happen but often does, even BT suffer from incompetent staff lol

lauzjp
20-05-2009, 13:42
I would be inclined to agree with you, but unless they've got really really good elocution (?) lessons going on over there the girl spoke perfect English.

Turns out it is a bt number, and the girl I spoke to last night to finally sort it all out said that it was one of their call centres, which is a relief.

Think I've got off lightly with only £50 deposit, as even the bt rep on moneysavingexpert was reckoning on me having to actually pay for a new line. :p:

Paul K
20-05-2009, 13:44
You would be suprised at the level of education in some of the indian call centers lol If it was an automated system call back if basically goes in to a dial queue and gets thrown at which ever agent is about to finish a call. Pot luck if thats on or off shore.

lauzjp
20-05-2009, 13:51
it was strange to get called back so quickly though, even the other bt staff said that.

omg, what on earth just flew overhead, :eek: my ears, my head!