PDA

View Full Version : What are they like?

J G B
17-05-2009, 16:21
I am just about to sign up to VM 50MB + XLTV & XLTel. I live in a maisonette. My office in on the second floor and my TV on the first. I could not get an answer from the sales team re:

1: Could the TV box be fitted by the TV and Router in my office?
2: Is it a fibre Optic connection all the way or part fibre and rest cable?
3: Would the connection be 50MB or near, or up to 50MB and getting much less.

Can any one please tell me if the technical department is responsive and helpful.

Thanks

Stuart
17-05-2009, 16:25
I am just about to sign up to VM 50MB + XLTV & XLTel. I live in a maisonette. My office in on the second floor and my TV on the first. I could not get an answer from the sales team re:

1: Could the TV box be fitted by the TV and Router in my office?

They do in some cases. You may need to book a second appointment.

2: Is it a fibre Optic connection all the way or part fibre and rest cable?

Generally, it's fibre to the street cabinet and cable from there. In some areas, it's fibre to one street cabinet and cable from that to all the others.

3: Would the connection be 50MB or near, or up to 50MB and getting much less.

Unfortunately, that depends on the local network.

:welcome: to the forum, though.

virgin_tech
17-05-2009, 19:37
if you are paying for an install you can make them put the tings where you want them, they will try to make it easy for themselfs (dont blame em really) they will try to put the modem next to the tv, make the put the modem where you want it.....

all cable that go to houses are copper, from a cab in your street, or a slot box close to ur house.. cab is old archi fibre goes to the cabs.. in slot box archi, the fibre goes to a local node and a copper calbe the thickness of your arm goes around a few streets and taps off in a pit within a few houses of your own.. i hope you got all that lol, ask again if u need a different way of explaining it lol

every 50meg i have installed has allways reached 45 megs up to 52 megs when tested, this has been hard wired, they will never guarantee that speed through a router... this is why it is essential to get the modem installed next to the computer

hope this helps..

J G B
17-05-2009, 20:09
Thanks for the info.
Any more please, the more the merrier.