PDA

View Full Version : What a difference 50cm makes...

ThunderPants73
16-05-2009, 22:47
I was called last night by a very polite foreign lady from VM. She told me that, since I had been with VM such a long time (about 18 months actually) I was a valued customer (as opposed to all the other un-valued ones I s'pose)and I could have VM TV FREE FOR LIFE (as long as I keep my phone). It was FREE she said, no cost, gratis etc, AS LONG AS MY TELEVISION WAS NO FURTHER THAN 1.5 METRES AWAY FROM THE CABLE SOCKET. After quickly assessing the situation, I had to break the news to her that, unfortunately, and due to no fault of my own, my TV was in fact 2 metres away from my cable socket. 'Oh' she replied, 'in that case there will be an installation fee of £30' !!
Now I am sure that there is a logical and maybe even scientific reason for an extra 50cm of cable needing professional installation, but for the life of me, I can't figure out what that reason is......

Joxer
16-05-2009, 23:02
That will be the standard length of cable in the self install pack then.

Ignitionnet
16-05-2009, 23:10
Solution - accept the deal and get the 1.5m cable, meanwhile buy yourself 2m of it from somewhere :)

ThunderPants73
16-05-2009, 23:15
Do VM think that I cannot handle a cable longer than 1.5m? Well, I am a helpless woman after all....*sigh* and please don't go on about it being 'standard', it would be a simple matter for the person on the phone to ask me what length cable I require.
I'm not really knocking VM, I've never had a problem with them, I'm just amused by them sometimes.

---------- Post added at 23:14 ---------- Previous post was at 23:12 ----------

Solution - accept the deal and get the 1.5m cable, meanwhile buy yourself 2m of it from somewhere :)

Bugger, didn't think of that at the time, probably because she rang at nearly 10 o'clock and it was my beddy-bies time.

---------- Post added at 23:15 ---------- Previous post was at 23:14 ----------

Anyway, I don't watch much tv, it's all repeated rubbish.

Ignitionnet
16-05-2009, 23:35
Anyway, I don't watch much tv, it's all repeated rubbish.

And apart from a very few shows the repeats are the best thing on.

ThunderPants73
16-05-2009, 23:39
Too true Sir, too true.

virgin_tech
17-05-2009, 00:02
mmmm... makes me think of setting up a business of sending out made to measure lenghts of cable, and much better quality of the selfinstal crap) i do enuff non paid overtime to use a few bits of rg6 and 2 conectors;)

Joxer
17-05-2009, 01:28
I suppose using a cable of >50cm between the STB and the TV might solve it, if you have somewhere convenient 50cm to the side of the TV to put it.

jungleguy
17-05-2009, 07:56
you could move your TV closer to the socket.

frazzeld
17-05-2009, 09:28
I was called last night by a very polite foreign lady from VM. She told me that, since I had been with VM such a long time (about 18 months actually) I was a valued customer (as opposed to all the other un-valued ones I s'pose)and I could have VM TV FREE FOR LIFE

I had a call similar to that one about two years ago! after letting them go all through the spiel! there was eventually catch! I had to try the package for 100 TV channels first! (Paid Subscription) I could then cancel after 30 days with no additional charges, I declined that particular offer....eventually got a TV package with one of my retention deals

Just ring them up and they will send you one out! you can pick the cable up for about 30p a metre (TV Aerial Supplies) and they will attach the connectors for you

Ignitionnet
17-05-2009, 09:49
I was feeling all intrigued by the comment about the difference 50cm makes when I read the thread title, was it just me?

chickendippers
17-05-2009, 10:50
VM are trying to get everyone on the M TV package (it's 'free' with a phone line anyway) in the hope that they can upsell you to a paid package, or some of the paid VOD stuff. Seems like a sensible idea really.

FairyFairy
17-05-2009, 13:33
Having just read the whole thread - I realised I thought the 50 was 50 (now what do they call those blighters --- the speed ones ... gbs ... mbs .... kps ?????:dunce:

Gary L
17-05-2009, 14:41
Bugger, didn't think of that at the time, probably because she rang at nearly 10 o'clock and it was my beddy-bies time.

They called you at 10pm on the night? blimey.