PDA

View Full Version : I've seen a small bit of road digging

adman45
16-05-2009, 15:58
On a cabled road near where I live i notice that VM had dug up a small part of the road to provide a cable point for a house they missed in the original install, 8 years ago. Is this an indication of the new policy??

xocemp
16-05-2009, 16:13
I hope so, the building next to my new place is cabled as is the flats opposite me, though the post code checker says "No"

And though I have a BT master socket in my living room BT say its not a serviced address and I can take a 18 month contract to waive the £122 charge, sadly they can't get me an engineer out for just over 2 weeks.

VirginMedia & BT, you fail on a massive scale!

Chris
16-05-2009, 16:20
It sounds consistent with their newly-stated policy of infilling the gaps within their local distribution networks around the UK. Good news indeed, if this is what it is. The number of threads we get on here that go something like 'VM say I can't have cable, even though my neighbour has it' is quite shocking.

xocemp
16-05-2009, 16:29
Hi,

Thanks for giving us your details.

We need to do some checks to figure out whether we can provide you with our on cable Virgin Media services.

We'll be in touch in the next couple of weeks to arrange the best time to do this.

The whole adventure is just beginning, so stay tuned.

The Virgin Media team

We'll see ;)

Welshchris
16-05-2009, 18:18
There r a number of streets in Swansea that has Cable one side of the street but not the other!

on in an hour!
16-05-2009, 19:57
that goes for a lot of areas that are ducted up chris.the cableco's at the time of the dig had to apply for licences from the government to dig an area,they were granted with the stipulation of only passing so many homes.
time was then spent with the council planners as to were the nodes/muxes would be situated,and the dig agreed,hence the ductwork passing more 'built-up' urban areas to maximise the cost of the dig i.e. pass as many homes as possible in the least possible meterage.(there are 'as-built' drawings now, as a lot of the original sitings for nodes/muxes werent or couldnt be adhered to).

so when the homes passed reached its licence limit the dig stopped,irrespective of half/one side of a street being dug.

jungleguy
16-05-2009, 23:19
On a cabled road near where I live i notice that VM had dug up a small part of the road to provide a cable point for a house they missed in the original install, 8 years ago. Is this an indication of the new policy??

if they dug up less than 10ft I wouldn't get excited. They've been digging up less than 10ft for yonks, if on the other hand they've dug up 100 ft of pavement then yes that would be a sign of a new policy.

adman45
17-05-2009, 00:45
It was only a small amount, but its the first bit i've seen round here in years.